V5F+ Beginner - Help Please

Joe Holliday

@Joe Holliday really good for just 6 hours! 

For turning now, your legs are too straight. Try:

• Sharp right turns: let your relatively straight right leg on right pedal dip the right pedal down from planar, while your left leg's knee bends and counter-balances with left pedal rising up from planar (body of EUC tilts to the right, but your whole body maintains position squarely over the middle balanced plane of the EUC). It helps to think of initiating this dip in the right pedal with a dip in your right hip, which will emphasize your turn.
  • Sharp left turns: just reverse the above.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

@Joe Holliday really good for just 6 hours! 

For turning now, your legs are too straight. Try:

• Sharp right turns: let your relatively straight right leg on right pedal dip the right pedal down from planar, while your left leg's knee bends and counter-balances with left pedal rising up from planar (body of EUC tilts to the right, but your whole body maintains position squarely over the middle balanced plane of the EUC). It helps to think of initiating this dip in the right pedal with a dip in your right hip, which will emphasize your turn.
  • Sharp left turns: just reverse the above.

Thanks! I'll give this a try tomorrow if the weather holds up.

edit: oops sorry misread your post.

You would have to look at the battery I think. Here it looks like there's no other significant difference. Maybe the weight difference is big enough so you can be sure - 11.9 kg (26.2 lbs) vs 12.5 kg (27.5 lbs) - so you could weigh your wheel.

In doubt I would trust the app, not some sticker. It seems to be the same wheel except for the different batteries.

4 hours ago, Joe Holliday said:

Thanks everyone for your help! I'm happy with my EUC now! :)

Very glad you persisted. It's a lot of musclenretraining. Now you need to have fun but don't stop learning. 

You need to practice slow riding, mounting and dismounting. You will need it when riding in crowded places. 

I also believe you should learn how adjust your feet while riding. It's the next level of skills to get the most comfort. You will learn how to shift your weight to the other foot while keeping the wheel steady and adjust the footing.  You should practice and figure it out. 15 minutes at a time. 

Then at some point learning to ride on one foot. It might help for controlling if you get in a bad situation. 

Latly going backwards. 

You are doing great. 

6 hours ago, Joe Holliday said:

Week 2 update - right hand turns are more comfortable now, more comfortable at higher speed

Dude, look at you go!  I'm a couple of weeks behind you on the learning curve, but you give me hope.

On 5/5/2017 at 11:47 PM, radial said:

Dude, look at you go!  I'm a couple of weeks behind you on the learning curve, but you give me hope.

If you need hope, see how I started :)

1 hour ago, Duf said:

If you need hope, see how I started :)

I watched until day four and quite enjoyed your pain.

I noticed you had a helmet and pads by the second day; that mirrors my experience of not using a helmet on the first day, realizing just how sketchy this hobby is, and then getting some safety.

Getting on is probably much harder than riding, I think.

Archived