Any Low Battery Concerns for my V8?

Maximus

In an effort to see how many miles I can get out of a single charge, I'm working on draining the battery of my inmotion V8 down to zero.  Most of my rides are short, 20 minutes-ish, and roughly 2-4 miles, so it takes me all work week to get there.  Anyway, I'm getting close, and just wanted to know if there are any warnings to look out for when riding at a low battery percent?  I've been reading other threads, where other wheels get "tilt back" when they are getting low on battery or maybe start to slow down.  Do these things happen with inmotion wheels too?  When I finally get down to zero % will the wheel just turn off, leaving me with no stabilizing help?  Thanks in advance for the help, I'm just trying to prepare myself a little so that I don't end up with a fantastic "face plant" story or worse :shock2:...

25 minutes ago, Maximus said:

In an effort to see how many miles I can get out of a single charge, I'm working on draining the battery of my inmotion V8 down to zero.  Most of my rides are short, 20 minutes-ish, and roughly 2-4 miles, so it takes me all work week to get there.  Anyway, I'm getting close, and just wanted to know if there are any warnings to look out for when riding at a low battery percent?  I've been reading other threads, where other wheels get "tilt back" when they are getting low on battery or maybe start to slow down.  Do these things happen with inmotion wheels too?  When I finally get down to zero % will the wheel just turn off, leaving me with no stabilizing help?  Thanks in advance for the help, I'm just trying to prepare myself a little so that I don't end up with a fantastic "face plant" story or worse :shock2:...

Didn't the V8 have voice prompts (and tiltback) for low Batterie? I dont know it exactly...Sorry!

But: My advice would be not to go down below 5-10%(better 15-20%)! Running down the Batterie to 0% gives a good amount of unneeded stress for the Batterie and can when drawing to much energy result in a faceplant!

You can do a assupmtion of mileage also with just going down to 10-20%...

Edited by KingSong69
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

My advice would be not to go down below 5-10%(better 15-20%)! Running down the Batterie to 0% gives a good amount of unneeded stress for the Batterie

Good to know about the stress on the battery, didn't consider that.  Thanks @KingSong69

• Upvote 1

Related to this topic; I would recommend getting off, pulling out the trolley handle, and walking the wheel to your destination when you get down low (1 bar?). Because trolleying the wheel is better than carrying it.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Maximus said:

My latest reading on battery life is to charge to 98% and to recharge when 50%. I will try to find the article. 

I think to remember the battery life increases by 4x if you do that. 

Otherwise its is a gamble. Deep cycling could last 500 cycles which once a week is like 8 years but I have never batteries last that long. 

I never deep cycle my laptop battery and their capacity pretty much goes down by 50% after one year. 

I would recommend recharge sooner than later and don't leave on the charger hours on end. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

I would recommend recharge sooner than later and don't leave on the charger hours on end. 

Duly noted @Carlos E Rodriguez.  

It certainly isn't my plan to run the battery down this low on a regular basis.  Aside from trying to determine a rough estimate of what my maximum mileage on a single charge would be, I was also trying to get a better understanding of what my Charge Dr. is giving me for Wh information....  

The first time that I charged using the Charge Dr. the lower display showing "Wh" was exactly 234, which is 90% of 260.  Considering my V8 is supposed to have 480 Wh I was concerned, but thought that maybe it had something to do with the battery being around 50% when I charged.  I would have thought the Charge Dr. would have cut out at 432 Wh, which would be 90% of 480.  Anyway, I'm trying to understand all of this battery maintenance stuff, which the Charge Dr. site gives some pretty good info on cycles (here is a good example: http://hobby16.neowp.fr/2016/12/01/voltage-threshold-on-charge-doctor/).  After my ride today I think that my percent should be in the 20-30% range, so I should have an opportunity to compare the Wh info from the two charging sessions.  

Strange, I feel like I kind of hijacked my own thread a bit :facepalm:.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Because trolleying the wheel is better than carrying it.

@LanghamP are saying that trolleying with it on and using the self balancing is easier, right?  Obviously you can still trolley with it off, but you are saying it's harder in that state, correct?

I've (once) in the past drained my V8 battery down to the point where it sounds an alarm and slowly (but aggressively) tilts back and forth rendering it unridable. After that point there was still enough power so that I could push it by the trolley handle. Technically "pushing" the wheel using the handle adds power rather than depletes it, so it seems one could "walk" their wheel a significant distance without running entirely out of power. Knowing Inmotion, my guess is that this behavior occurs with some reasonable buffer of charge yet remaining.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, who_the said:

Technically "pushing" the wheel using the handle adds power rather than depletes it, so it seems one could "walk" their wheel a significant distance without running entirely out of power.

Makes perfect sense, thanks @who_the!

On 4/21/2017 at 3:37 PM, Maximus said:

If yours behaves as mine: when the displayed level reaches 5%, you will experience a rather strong tilt-back which forces you to step off. Then you should turn off the wheel, as it will insist in tilting even when you push it. Turning it on again and trolleying home was my strategy then. The displayed level of 5% is probably a real battery level of more than 10% (around 50Wh remain unusable), so I am not really worried about undercharging my V8.

Edited by Mono

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2017 at 9:37 AM, Maximus said:

When I finally get down to zero % will the wheel just turn off, leaving me with no stabilizing help?

Last night I finally got my answer to this question...the wheel alerted me that my battery was too low (you know, with that nice woman's voice :)) anyway, the wheel then also went into what I assume is tilt back (?), where the whole thing angled backward and stayed in that position and eventually turned itself slowly off.  I was going fairly slow so I was able to step off as this all occurred.  I then turned it back on and pushed it in the tilt back position until I got home, which thankfully was less than an 1/8 mile.

• Upvote 2

One thing that people have to realize is the % of battery in the app isn't necessarily the same voltage with every manufacturer. 

I believe that for 20% battery on Inmotion wheels is actually a higher battery voltage per cell than some other manufacturers.  The %  of battery displayed in manufacturers apps isn't as accurate as the actual voltage of each cell.  Inmotion app seems to display a lower % of battery left for a given voltage than most other manufacturers apps do. 

A third party app that will display the current voltage may be the best way to go. Usually these same apps will also display the % of battery left. 

Allen

• Upvote 1

• 4 years later...

Hi all.  I also have a v8 and I have a question.  In the application the percentage of the battery varies quite a lot.  After I start moving, it also decreases by 10%, and when I stop after a few seconds it increases by a few percent compared to the value displayed on the move.  It's normal.  In the past I had a v5f which was very stable in terms of battery percentage.  Thank you

• Like 1