My first REAL face plant yesterday

Smoother

11 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Speaking of Sudan, And "the west". If you're living in a place where the turn of a tap produces clean drinking water, the flick of a switch produces light, heat, or cold, where grocery stores are filled with varieties of affordable food products, the rule of law IS the rule of law, and bombs don't fall out of the sky on a regular basis....you're doing better than 80% of the worlds population.  Train prices, or property taxes be damned.  If you've got that stuff, life is pretty good. Whether you pay for it in £,€,or $

I think it is that way all over the world now.  But the bad news is interesting to some people.  I bet if I went to Sudan, there would be plenty of cars and food.  And I still don't believe all the stories about bombs falling from the sky over in Israel and Pakistan.  It's fake news to me.

2 hours ago, steve454 said:

I think it is that way all over the world now.  But the bad news is interesting to some people.  I bet if I went to Sudan, there would be plenty of cars and food.  And I still don't believe all the stories about bombs falling from the sky over in Israel and Pakistan.  It's fake news to me.

Well then you don't know nothing. If you have money on those regions you live on a previledge rnvironent while the majority of the people live on a poor oppressive hunger risen world. I can't believe you are so naive. 

20 hours ago, Smoother said:

I've been absent from the board for almost two months ( been busy settling back into life in England), but I have been riding.  I managed without a car for a month, relying on my wheel to travel.  After that I needed to travel further, and public transport in England takes forever to get anywhere, and it's hellaciously expensive. Example Poole to London  about 120 miles, £51.  I have flown to Spain and back for less!!!

anyway, I found myself in Bournmouth yesterday, and because I had my wheel with me,I went for a cruise along the magnificent beach.  I'm not joking, having spent 5 months exploring the beaches of the Cote d'Azure, and Spain's Costa Blanca, and Costa Dorada, Bournmouth beach is just as awesome.

so I'm cruising along, estimated 20kph, when I hit a small series of unseen bumps.  I handled them fine, but my wheel (ks14c ) must not have liked the power surge required to stay in equilibrium, because I got ( yet another) violent pedal tilt back which threw me down the road, like a baseball batter sliding into home, face first.  I hit the ground so hard, I couldn't keep my face Up, so my chin got a bump and scrape that drew blood.  Today  I have a scab about 2 cm square.

i also hit the ground so hard that I bruised the pad of my left thumb and the tip of my left little finger was numb for about two hours.

note I was wearing wrist, elbow, and knee pads.  No injuries to those areas.  Pads are good!

additionally, both my shoulders hurt.  Right now I move my arms like someone trying to learn how to control new prosthetic limbs, I.e very slowly, and I can't carry much weight.

i also scuffed up my leather jacket. I was not wearing a helmet, but a typical bike or skate board helmet would not have protected my face ( I'm looking into this)

This has been my worst, overall, and first real face plant ( face hits road) ever.  And I was cruising along on level pavement at a sensible speed ( plus the bumps)

why did it happen?

well, I had been riding a while, and I didn't start the day with a 100% charge, so I was down around 53% power ( looked at app after the crash, not before).  As I've said before, less than 60% on a small battery ( mine is 340wh) need to be handled conservatively.  

So why didn't I handle the trip conservatively? Well, actually I thought I did.  Firstly, the LED readout on the ks range is wildly optimistic.  It was lit up showing 60 to 80% with its woefully inadequate 5 bar range! But I knew that meant mat least 50%.  Secondly, I was riding level, smooth pavement.  Thirdly I was not pushing the speed, I was several miles into a mild 15 to 20 kph cruise.  Fourthly, I was not showing off.

this thing came completely out of the blue.  Have I mentioned that I HATE the Kingsong violent tilt back? As I said, it wasn't the bumps that threw me down the road, it was Kingsong sudden and violent tilt back that threw me off. What's the point of an accident avoidance scheme that includes a violent accident as its modus operandi?

Wow.. this is the first I have heard about the KS violent tilt back.  This brings my list of quality wheels down to Segway/Ninebot and InMotion. I am beginning to think my Segway S1 may be the perfect wheel.. the tiltback is manageable, and at 56 years old, maybe 12.5 mph IS fast enough after all..

21 hours ago, Smoother said:

Have I mentioned that I HATE the Kingsong violent tilt back? As I said, it wasn't the bumps that threw me down the road, it was Kingsong sudden and violent tilt back that threw me off. What's the point of an accident avoidance scheme that includes a violent accident as its modus operandi?

It's worth to keep in mind that many wheels in the market are barely prototypes and we are the test pilots. That is how shit happens.

2 hours ago, GoinPostal said:

Wow.. this is the first I have heard about the KS violent tilt back.  This brings my list of quality wheels down to Segway/Ninebot and InMotion. I am beginning to think my Segway S1 may be the perfect wheel.. the tiltback is manageable, and at 56 years old, maybe 12.5 mph IS fast enough after all..

Ah yes good point, but you may be overlooking that if the wheel you describe has a max of 12.5mph then you realistically aren't going to be cruising at that speed; more like 9 to 10mph.  And if your S1 has a small battery as my ks14 does, then you will still be subject to firmware intervention to protect the battery, or prevent excessive power drain during peaks in demand.  As long as I have a decent charge I CAN cruise easily at 12.5 or higher, for miles and miles.  And if I pony up for an extra battery ( there is a space for one and the work is easy to do myself) this problem should go away.  My 2c. I think I'd rather walk than ride a wheel that has a max of 12.5mph.

2 hours ago, Mono said:

It's worth to keep in mind that many wheels in the market are barely prototypes and we are the test pilots. That is how shit happens.

Hence my Avitar.  And yes I was wearing headphones at the time; they help drown out the sound of me screaming, as I crash and burn. ?

4 minutes ago, Smoother said:

And yes I was wearing headphones at the time

I know, it's difficult to imagine living without...

On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎21 at 1:50 PM, Smoother said:

I've been absent from the board for almost two months ( been busy settling back into life in England), but I have been riding.  I managed without a car for a month, relying on my wheel to travel.  After that I needed to travel further, and public transport in England takes forever to get anywhere, and it's hellaciously expensive. Example Poole to London  about 120 miles, £51.  I have flown to Spain and back for less!!!

anyway, I found myself in Bournmouth yesterday, and because I had my wheel with me,I went for a cruise along the magnificent beach.  I'm not joking, having spent 5 months exploring the beaches of the Cote d'Azure, and Spain's Costa Blanca, and Costa Dorada, Bournmouth beach is just as awesome.

so I'm cruising along, estimated 20kph, when I hit a small series of unseen bumps.  I handled them fine, but my wheel (ks14c ) must not have liked the power surge required to stay in equilibrium, because I got ( yet another) violent pedal tilt back which threw me down the road, like a baseball batter sliding into home, face first.  I hit the ground so hard, I couldn't keep my face Up, so my chin got a bump and scrape that drew blood.  Today  I have a scab about 2 cm square.

i also hit the ground so hard that I bruised the pad of my left thumb and the tip of my left little finger was numb for about two hours.

note I was wearing wrist, elbow, and knee pads.  No injuries to those areas.  Pads are good!

additionally, both my shoulders hurt.  Right now I move my arms like someone trying to learn how to control new prosthetic limbs, I.e very slowly, and I can't carry much weight.

i also scuffed up my leather jacket. I was not wearing a helmet, but a typical bike or skate board helmet would not have protected my face ( I'm looking into this)

This has been my worst, overall, and first real face plant ( face hits road) ever.  And I was cruising along on level pavement at a sensible speed ( plus the bumps)

why did it happen?

well, I had been riding a while, and I didn't start the day with a 100% charge, so I was down around 53% power ( looked at app after the crash, not before).  As I've said before, less than 60% on a small battery ( mine is 340wh) need to be handled conservatively.  

So why didn't I handle the trip conservatively? Well, actually I thought I did.  Firstly, the LED readout on the ks range is wildly optimistic.  It was lit up showing 60 to 80% with its woefully inadequate 5 bar range! But I knew that meant mat least 50%.  Secondly, I was riding level, smooth pavement.  Thirdly I was not pushing the speed, I was several miles into a mild 15 to 20 kph cruise.  Fourthly, I was not showing off.

this thing came completely out of the blue.  Have I mentioned that I HATE the Kingsong violent tilt back? As I said, it wasn't the bumps that threw me down the road, it was Kingsong sudden and violent tilt back that threw me off. What's the point of an accident avoidance scheme that includes a violent accident as its modus operandi?

Buy a stronger euc  :cheers:

I also have ks14c but with bigger 680Wh battery and I had to upgrade the board to the new one (old one didn't have the violent tiltback). First time the titlaback happened to me I also almost fell but since then I got used to it and it actually saved me few times. It is especially useful when there are hidden bumps caused by tree roots growing under the pavement. If you go on these at speed without knowing they tend to throw you forward but this violent tiltback always managed to put the euc in front of me me in position ready to break and thus caught me nicely..

57 minutes ago, andress said:

I also have ks14c but with bigger 680Wh battery and I had to upgrade the board to the new one (old one didn't have the violent tiltback). First time the titlaback happened to me I also almost fell but since then I got used to it and it actually saved me few times. It is especially useful when there are hidden bumps caused by tree roots growing under the pavement. If you go on these at speed without knowing they tend to throw you forward but this violent tiltback always managed to put the euc in front of me me in position ready to break and thus caught me nicely..

strange , so you say tiltback happens even at lower speed , if tilt is programmed at 30 kmh then it might happen even at 20 kmh ?    I never had that problem , KS18A

There is normal speed tiltback (not as violent) on my ks14c that occurs at the speed set in app or sooner (around 25km/h) on lower battery and then there is this violent tiltback that happens while there is some non standard behavior for example too rapid acceleration or these kind of bumps. I guess it is based on current?

I'm always surprised to hear about king song tiltback. I've never experienced it and I've gone up to 32 kph. I'm only 60kg so it all feels pretty safe, and I have the 840wh model. And I commute every day on my ks14 so I have experience.

Speaking of which, I had MY first face plant three days ago. I over inflated the tire and could feel it. I then hit the biggest bump on my route to the office and ate it, with onlookers... Very embarrassing.

Tore my jeans and scabbed up my hand and knee. Slight chin scratch but nothing too bad. The crazy part was I was holding my phone in my hand and slammed it face down into the concrete with all of my weight on it and the screen is fine. Very impressed there.

6 hours ago, GoinPostal said:

Imho this conclusion is not entirely good. You need more power and battery for higher safety, not less. A better conclusion is, get a wheel where you won't even get close to tiltback speed/wheel utilization, a wheel that will have a ton of reserves. Tiltback is something you should never see (especially a violent emergency power tiltback, not a slower "slow down" warning tiltback), not something that should be easily managable because you see it all the time (of course it should be as manageable as possible - and in no way this is an excuse for unnecessarily violent tiltback behavior that makes riding more dangerous and a crash more likely).

Same speed - I would feel much safer on a Gotway "let's hope nothing breaks while riding" 1000W, 1000Wh wheel instead of the nicest, safest, already tiltbacking Ninebot.

So what I take from this thread, a 14C with small battery is too weak. Not a general reason against KS wheels - you'd just need a more powerful one;)

10 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Imho this conclusion is not entirely good. You need more power and battery for higher safety, not less. A better conclusion is, get a wheel where you won't even get close to tiltback speed/wheel utilization, a wheel that will have a ton of reserves. Tiltback is something you should never see (especially a violent emergency power tiltback, not a slower "slow down" warning tiltback), not something that should be easily managable because you see it all the time (of course it should be as manageable as possible - and in no way this is an excuse for unnecessarily violent tiltback behavior that makes riding more dangerous and a crash more likely).

Same speed - I would feel much safer on a Gotway "let's hope nothing breaks while riding" 1000W, 1000Wh wheel instead of the nicest, safest, already tiltbacking Ninebot.

So what I take from this thread, a 14C with small battery is too weak. Not a general reason against KS wheels - you'd just need a more powerful one;)

@meepmeepmayer has it just right, here.  More available power, and more available speed, keeps you safer, especially if you don't use it all.  Think of an 'envelope of safety' in which you wish to remain.  

My Ninebot One E+ will go maximum of 15mph.  I never ever go 15 mph.  I stay in the envelope of safety.  I will probably get a new KS16S and that will widen my envelope of safety.  I never intend to ride 20mph+.  To do so just seems crazy to me, 'protection' be damned.  

Smoother, my best wishes for your recovery, and I hope you can soon ride again !

12 hours ago, GoinPostal said:

I'm 58, ride my KS16 now since more than 2100 kilometers, alarm3 and tiltback are set to 30 km/h, and my average speed is mostly between 24 and 27, with peaks around 35 (once even more than 38, I posted the screenshot here somewhere).

I never had any problem with the wheel or the tiltback (except once when I overlooked a gully in autumn, my own fault).

Generally I think:

1) Regarding streetbumps, holes  and offroad:  14" wheels are more dangerous than 16", and 16" are more dangerous than 18".

2) Regarding necessary peak currents:  batteries with small capacities are more dangerous than batteries with large capacities.

Therefore the most dangerous variant is a 14" wheel with a low capacity battery, where possibly the battery is even already half empty or so.

No reason to think that Kingsong wheels have low quality. My experience with the KS16 is the opposite, but I have the 680 Wh variant.

On 21/04/2017 at 1:50 PM, Smoother said:

I have flown to Spain and back for less!!!

... I had my wheel with me

So you took your wheel on the AIRPLANE. Did they authorise that? Because I miss also my wheel when I go somewhere with airplane.

How did you carry your wheel? In the big luggage or as hand luggage?

I had opened a topic about carrying EUC's with airplanes.

On 25 April 2017 at 3:28 PM, marc said:

So you took your wheel on the AIRPLANE. Did they authorise that? Because I miss also my wheel when I go somewhere with airplane.

How did you carry your wheel? In the big luggage or as hand luggage?

I had opened a topic about carrying EUC's with airplanes.

What? No! I didn't say that.  I have flown to Spain and back, and I have wheeled hundreds of km around Spain, but I haven't tried to take my wheel on an airplane.  Two completely separate events. Sorry to disappoint. ?

Archived