Southern California - Cogswell Dam for 22Apr2017

Marty Backe

Short notice I know. @jrkline and myself will be riding the full Rincon to Cogswell Dam loop this Saturday, at 9am. It's 25 to 30 miles. Looks like the weather is going to be hot, so bring plenty of water and energy food.

Some of us have ridden half the loop, the out-and-back Cogswell side. Today we will depart on the South side of the mountain range, climb up to the ridge, and return via Cogswell on the north side of the mountain.

Although half of the ride is mostly downhill, I think this should only be attempted with a wheel that has 40+ mile range, to be conservative. Otherwise you may end up with a 5+ mile walk at the end.

See the previous posting for details on where to meet, fees to be paid, etc.

@jrkline @noisycarlos @Questor @nbxpq3 @Sketch @Roll Model @enigma35 @csmyers @swvision  @Ando Melkonyan @abinder3 @captainwells @Tjtripp

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Tjtripp said:

I probably wont have my new wheel by then, and unfortunately I have to work then.  But hopefully in the near future.  I might have to start saving in order to get a wheel with better range.

This is an unusually long group ride. Most of our rides are under 25 miles. Hope to see you in the future. I'll include you in the distribution for all of the future rides.

44 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

@Marty Backe, is it safe to assume you won't be using your Monster on this ride ?

Allen

I'm leaning towards taking the Monster. @captainwells is joining us too.

24 minutes ago, Ando Melkonyan said:

I was wondering when this was gonna happen. Been awful quiet here lately. Im IN! Cant wait to show off my ONE of a kind ACM :D

Hey, that's great that you finally got your ACM. You must really be enjoying it. I'm probably taking my Monster, but I may ride the ACM. Not sure yet, but either wheel will work great.

11 minutes ago, Ando Melkonyan said:

Also if anyone is going from the Glendale area and is kind enough to scoop me up... otherwise im gonna have to uber there. 

I'd give you a ride but I live in Downey which isn't near you at all :(

https://www.amazon.com/16x2-125-Inner-Tube-Tire-Electric/dp/B00CCJM4HE/ref=pd_sbs_468_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00CCJM4HE&pd_rd_r=0JBZTDZJTZZ49SDV1PBQ&pd_rd_w=rcor1&pd_rd_wg=iJHa3&psc=1&refRID=0JBZTDZJTZZ49SDV1PBQ

The inner tube didn't work because the valve was not bent the right way but i just used the original tube that was on the ACM and so far so good.

Also, not sure how you're gonna cut out the inside plastic parts but i used my dental lab handpiece with a 1" diamond coated disk :D   

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marathon-Dental-Lab-Electric-Polishing-Micromotor-N3-35K-RPM-Motor-Handpiece-/400904118090?hash=item5d57bf5f4a:g:lA8AAOSwuxFYs9fX

Something like this ^^^

Enjoy

2 hours ago, Ando Melkonyan said:

Here is that it looks like and some of what i had to go though.. lol

IMG_1170.JPG

IMG_1158.JPG

WOW! This must be a first. I've never heard of someone putting a wider tire on a wheel. So a wider tire actually fits on the same wheel with no problems. I would have that the rim needs to match the tire. Can't wait to see it.

I think this qualifies as a very unique ACM :thumbup::cheers:

1 hour ago, Ando Melkonyan said:

https://www.amazon.com/16x2-125-Inner-Tube-Tire-Electric/dp/B00CCJM4HE/ref=pd_sbs_468_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00CCJM4HE&pd_rd_r=0JBZTDZJTZZ49SDV1PBQ&pd_rd_w=rcor1&pd_rd_wg=iJHa3&psc=1&refRID=0JBZTDZJTZZ49SDV1PBQ

The inner tube didn't work because the valve was not bent the right way but i just used the original tube that was on the ACM and so far so good.

Also, not sure how you're gonna cut out the inside plastic parts but i used my dental lab handpiece with a 1" diamond coated disk :D   

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marathon-Dental-Lab-Electric-Polishing-Micromotor-N3-35K-RPM-Motor-Handpiece-/400904118090?hash=item5d57bf5f4a:g:lA8AAOSwuxFYs9fX

Something like this ^^^

Enjoy

Really is amazing. I love how some of you guys will dive in and hack your wheels to make them better.

Here is that it looks like and some of what i had to go though.. lol

IMG_1170.JPG

IMG_1158.JPG

@Rehab1 - you need to do this to your ACM

Something like this ^^^

Enjoy

Thanks.Tire has been ordered.The "world famous ACM2040" will soon become the "world famous ACM2040FTE".:clap3: (FTE=fat tire edition).Cutting the plastic is the easy part,(have done it to numerous wheels including the ACM2040 for battery mods.;)

2 hours ago, jrkline said:

Thanks.Tire has been ordered.The "world famous ACM2040" will soon become the "world famous ACM2040FTE".:clap3: (FTE=fat tire edition).Cutting the plastic is the easy part,(have done it to numerous wheels including the ACM2040 for battery mods.;)

:thumbup: this project should be a piece of cake for you then. You're gonna love it! its almost like riding a 16" msuper lol. I call mine the MsuperACM1300 ;)

4 hours ago, Ando Melkonyan said:

:thumbup: this project should be a piece of cake for you then. You're gonna love it! its almost like riding a 16" msuper lol. I call mine the MsuperACM1300 ;)

I will do this to my MCM4. I have been thinking about this for a long time. I am going to put a 14x2.5 to replace my 14x2.125. 

1 hour ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

I will do this to my MCM4. I have been thinking about this for a long time. I am going to put a 14x2.5 to replace my 14x2.125. 

Why have the EUC companies been so slow to use 2.5 inch tires? It's been a couple of years since the highly successful 2.5 inch on the IPS Lhotz, yet this width is still rare on 16 and 14 inch wheels.

1 hour ago, MaxLinux said:

Why have the EUC companies been so slow to use 2.5 inch tires? It's been a couple of years since the highly successful 2.5 inch on the IPS Lhotz, yet this width is still rare on 16 and 14 inch wheels.

Maybe it affects the nimbleness of the wheel? Kind of makes sense that a thick tire offers more resistance to the ground. I'm looking forward to seeing @Ando Melkonyan's wheel this Saturday to observe any changes in handling.

16 hours ago, Ando Melkonyan said:

Thanks Marty. I am enjoying it a lot!

I fit a 2.5" tire on it. Fatter, slightly taller, so my ride is smoother, and i can lean it more. Had to cut out some of the shell to make it fit but it was worth it. Dont think anyone has done it before. :)

Welcome to the ACM (Another Creative Modification) club! :cheers: I am so glad your work came to full fruition! Excellent job! :thumbup:

Archived