KS18 A (Y+) - new wheel, a few questions, buying decision, short first impression

viti

Hi All,

so I've done it lately: Bought myself a new wheel :)

(via aliexpress): a new KingSong KS18A (Y+) the latest version with the fan. (1200 W, 1360 Wh Battery, Firmware V 1,25, App-Version Android 1.4)

I have it for about a week now and have ridden my first about 25 Km with it.

As there was only a chinese version booklet in the package and the available Info at the KingSong Website does not help I have a few questions

that I hope the forum members can help and give there comments.

Questions:

1) In the offer the seat was NOT included. - Is it due to the new 'fan version' that a seat does not fit or is a seat still possible?

2) In older KS18 Versions there has been the option, that the light mode could be switched not only by the App, but also through the on/off Switch.

Does this still work? (and how?)

3) In older KS18 versions there has been the option that the wheel could be used as a 'flashlight' when switched off via a button on the wheel.

This is no longer possible with the newest version (KS18Y+ - fan version) right?

4) Only from the sense of the tyre I suspect the 'front' of the wheel is the side with the LED-bar battery indicator and the back side is the side with the USB-port and the on/off switch, right?

If this is right, that would mean, that the slots of the fan on the upper side of the wheel look into the moving direction. - Into my mind comes: water will be pressed right into the slots when driving in rain? Ugh :o

5) On the App/wheel? of my wheel the total mileage count does not seem to work properly: It now shows 4 Km but I'm quite sure I did already much more than 10 Km probably 20 to 25 Km. Any ideas?

Thank's for your thoughts/input.

Buying decision:

Although the KS18A is not a new wheel now I want to give you a short 'first impression' from my first week - especially in comparison to my beginner wheel IPS Zero (240 Wh).

I thought for a while which wheel to buy as a second wheel as my beginner wheel the IPS Zero has it's limits as a 14" wheel with it's small battery.

Do understand me right: The zero is a good wheel. Perfect for city, short commutes and as a 'last mile wheel' you have with you in the bus or underground. (only 10 KG)

But more than once I found myself looking for a possibility to charge the wheel during a ride.

So I wanted another wheel with a BIG BATTERY B)

I also think that the zero with nominal 800 W motor has practically to less battery reserve when going up/downhill. Especially as I'm on the more heavier side (about 100 KG). So I wanted also a higher wattage.

The 'golden mean' would have been probably a 16" wheel with a big battery. - I had an eye on the KS16S. (Gotway ACM also, but reports on the forum have not been so good in the last few weeks.) - Now Rockwheel GT-16 gets good reports also but was brand new, when I decided to buy.

What was the final reason to get the KS18 instead of the KS16S was: The price. For nearly the price of a KS16S or ACM with 840 Wh I would get a KS18 with a battery of 1360 Wh!

So I bought the KS18.

First Impression:

This wheel is tall! You have to get accustomed to it when coming from smaller wheels ...

As I plan to go on longer trips away from cities a big 18" wheel will fit this purpose well.

The weight of 23 KG is a lot. (I hope not to be forced to carry the wheel much EVER) but strong motor and battery have it's weight.

First impression: My expectations are satisfied - I have a powerful wheel with a big battery now. ... Ready for further trips.

Yours

viti

47 minutes ago, viti said:

Hi All,

so I've done it lately: Bought myself a new wheel :)

(via aliexpress): a new KingSong KS18A (Y+) the latest version with the fan. (1200 W, 1360 Wh Battery, Firmware V 1,25, App-Version Android 1.4)

I have it for about a week now and have ridden my first about 25 Km with it.

As there was only a chinese version booklet in the package and the available Info at the KingSong Website does not help I have a few questions

that I hope the forum members can help and give there comments.

Questions:

1) In the offer the seat was NOT included. - Is it due to the new 'fan version' that a seat does not fit or is a seat still possible?

2) In older KS18 Versions there has been the option, that the light mode could be switched not only by the App, but also through the on/off Switch.

Does this still work? (and how?)

3) In older KS18 versions there has been the option that the wheel could be used as a 'flashlight' when switched off via a button on the wheel.

This is no longer possible with the newest version (KS18Y+ - fan version) right?

4) Only from the sense of the tyre I suspect the 'front' of the wheel is the side with the LED-bar battery indicator and the back side is the side with the USB-port and the on/off switch, right?

If this is right, that would mean, that the slots of the fan on the upper side of the wheel look into the moving direction. - Into my mind comes: water will be pressed right into the slots when driving in rain? Ugh :o

5) On the App/wheel? of my wheel the total mileage count does not seem to work properly: It now shows 4 Km but I'm quite sure I did already much more than 10 Km probably 20 to 25 Km. Any ideas?

Thank's for your thoughts/input.

Buying decision:

Although the KS18A is not a new wheel now I want to give you a short 'first impression' from my first week - especially in comparison to my beginner wheel IPS Zero (240 Wh).

I thought for a while which wheel to buy as a second wheel as my beginner wheel the IPS Zero has it's limits as a 14" wheel with it's small battery.

Do understand me right: The zero is a good wheel. Perfect for city, short commutes and as a 'last mile wheel' you have with you in the bus or underground. (only 10 KG)

But more than once I found myself looking for a possibility to charge the wheel during a ride.

So I wanted another wheel with a BIG BATTERY B)

I also think that the zero with nominal 800 W motor has practically to less battery reserve when going up/downhill. Especially as I'm on the more heavier side (about 100 KG). So I wanted also a higher wattage.

The 'golden mean' would have been probably a 16" wheel with a big battery. - I had an eye on the KS16S. (Gotway ACM also, but reports on the forum have not been so good in the last few weeks.) - Now Rockwheel GT-16 gets good reports also but was brand new, when I decided to buy.

What was the final reason to get the KS18 instead of the KS16S was: The price. For nearly the price of a KS16S or ACM with 840 Wh I would get a KS18 with a battery of 1360 Wh!

So I bought the KS18.

First Impression:

This wheel is tall! You have to get accustomed to it when coming from smaller wheels ...

As I plan to go on longer trips away from cities a big 18" wheel will fit this purpose well.

The weight of 23 KG is a lot. (I hope not to be forced to carry the wheel much EVER) but strong motor and battery have it's weight.

First impression: My expectations are satisfied - I have a powerful wheel with a big battery now. ... Ready for further trips.

Yours

viti

You have the same model of the KS18 that I have.

Mine came with the seat included.  It just goes on top of the handle and to me it isn't very comfortable (I only sat on it while hold onto something to balance the wheel left/right without even moving forward).

Mine also came with a top cover with no slots or fan and the vented cover with fan.  That cover with not slots is only suppose to be used if you think that you're going to encounter pretty wet conditions. (I don't like to ride in wet conditions, so that's no problem for me) I saw someplace that at King Song they supposedly got the wheel very wet on purpose and there was no problem with water getting down inside from the top with the vented cover on the top. (I don't remember where I saw that video though.)

As far as what you asked about the lights, I really don't know about that. (I almost always ride with my front light flasing.)

Usually, the front is considered the side that has teh "LED-bar battery indicator and the back side is the side with the USB-port and the on/off switch".  However, one time when I was riding at the beach, I set my wheel on it's side for a little bit and then picked it back up again and then started moving forward.  I'd say about 10 minutes later I just happened to look down and I was riding the wheel with LED-bar battery indicator in back and the front side was the USB-port and the on/off switch.  So, I guess that it really doesn't matter because I didn't notice any difference.

Could post a photo of the app main screen and the screen that you see when you scroll to the left from the main screen?  That way I could see what mileage readout you're talking about.

Allen

The KS18AY is a very nice wheel, especially with the 1680 Wh battery (did not know they have a smaller one also) and the big tire and speed. It also seems to be surprisingly good on hills, if you go by the youtube videos. I think you made the right choice (even better for the price).

Here's a discussion on the water "problem":

Hi All,

thanks to All for your answers.

to number 5) of my questions list (total mileage count) seems to work ok now. - dont know why.

It seems I got the wheel, but without the 'options' of seat and additional cover (Thanks @abinder3 ). That's a pitty. I can imagine that on longer trips I might be a good thing to sit for a few minutes from time to time where apropriate.

I'am not keen on riding in heavy rain. - But as unexpected thinks happen, I will consider getting some kind of vinyl cover for the wheel. ...

I'm still on the first charge of the battery ...

Small critic of the wheel:

Bluetooth connection with the app is not very stable. I disconnects every now and then. Connecting does not work always. I have to try a few times.

(Might be an isue of my phone also ...)

have a nice day

viti

On 4/18/2017 at 3:59 PM, abinder3 said:

Usually, the front is considered the side that has teh "LED-bar battery indicator and the back side is the side with the USB-port and the on/off switch".  However, one time when I was riding at the beach, I set my wheel on it's side for a little bit and then picked it back up again and then started moving forward.  I'd say about 10 minutes later I just happened to look down and I was riding the wheel with LED-bar battery indicator in back and the front side was the USB-port and the on/off switch.  So, I guess that it really doesn't matter because I didn't notice any difference.

I have the same wheel and the front is where the LED bar battery indicator is.  You can tell this by looking at the tire and there should be an arrow on the tire showing the direction of forward rotation.  To be honest, I have also ridden it in the opposite direction and don't notice a difference.  I guess It probably would make a difference on tread wear after a long period of time.

3 hours ago, viti said:

It seems I got the wheel, but without the 'options' of seat and additional cover (Thanks @abinder3 ). That's a pitty. I can imagine that on longer trips I might be a good thing to sit for a few minutes from time to time where apropriate.

You should have gotten a seat with your wheel.  I use mine all the time on long rides to give me feet a break.  Learning to sit is a skill that needs to be practiced.  I can sit and steer comfortably.  I would go back to the seller and ask for this "option".

Since upgrading the firmware from 1.23 to 1.25, the wheel doesn't connect to the app as reliably.  I sometimes have to close the app a few times and retry before getting a connection.  I'm hoping this gets fixed when Kingsong finally releases their updated app.

7 hours ago, viti said:

Small critic of the wheel:

Bluetooth connection with the app is not very stable. I disconnects every now and then. Connecting does not work always. I have to try a few times.

(Might be an isue of my phone also ...)

have a nice day

viti

I sometimes have problems connecting to my KS18 with Bluetooth using my iPhone as well. 

If you have an iPhone, there's an app called "DarknessBot".  It seems to be much better at connecting via Bluetooth.  The only thing that you will need the King Song app for is setting speed alarms and entering the passcode for the max speed.  Other than that, the DarknessBot app is really good. 

Here are 2 screen shots from the app that I took yesterday:

IMG_3288.PNG

IMG_3289.PNG

Also, the app will only reset the single max speed, single mileage of trip, and single runtime of trip when you want it to.  That's great for when you're riding and shut off the wheel when you take breaks during the ride. 

The app also supports the Apple Watch. 

Allen

Archived