X8 won't hold charge more than 1 second.

Tim Koffler

I just got my old X8 out of the closet for a friend to ride and charged it using my Charge Doctor (has ports for both Airwheel and InMotion V8). When I tried turning the X8 on, the lights turn on and beep then die out as if the battery is drained.  I've tried it several times now and it is always the same result.  Did the Charge Doctor fry my wheel somehow or could sitting in a closet for 5-6 months have been a factor?  What do I do to get it fixed?

x8 2.wmv

2 hours ago, Tim Koffler said:

Did the Charge Doctor fry my wheel somehow

very unlikely, it's an entirely passive device. 

or could sitting in a closet for 5-6 months have been a factor?

seems to be enough time to drain a smaller battery pack completely empty, which is apparently a likely scenario to kill them :(

For example, a current as small as 0.001A at 60V is 0.06W and over 6 months 0.06W * 24h * 30 * 6 = 259Wh are gone. 

On 4/17/2017 at 5:41 PM, Tim Koffler said:

What do I do to get it fixed?

On 4/17/2017 at 7:39 PM, Mono said:

seems to be enough time to drain a smaller battery pack completely empty, which is apparently a likely scenario to kill them 

First, you could disconnect the battery and hook up a voltmeter to see what the charge is, like @Mono said, it probably drained down too low to take a charge.  Then, if the battery is no good, you could order a replacement battery from amazon or Banggood or someplace for less than $150 I think.  If you do replace the battery, remember to put some charge in it or charge it fully every month of so.  I can't remember the number of months that Ninebot recommends to charge the wheel, I think it was every 3 months when in storage.  Since you have a charge doctor, you could charge to 90% each time and get longer life from the new battery.

Also, while you are in there, it's a good time to look at the wiring and board for damage or bad connections.  

Does the charge doctor show the amount of charge in the battery?  If so you might not even need a voltmeter to tell if the battery is taking a charge.  That sparking you showed in the video is not good, though.  My wheel always did that when plugging the charge cable in before plugging the charger in to the wall socket.  It caused some minor burn marks on one of the pins in the charge port.  Later I read on this forum that the charger has to be plugged in to the wall first, then in to the wheel, and it never sparks that way.  Airwheel might be different though, I never owned one.  Might be that the charge port is damaged.

Also, in the video, you only had the charger connected for about one second, I guess to demonstrate that you actually started to charge it.  A little misleading, you could show a time lapse or sped up charge of about one hour, maybe I missed that.

Archived