Inmotion & Solowheel

OliverH

5 hours ago, Wax said:

Personally I think the inMotion logo is way better looking that solowheel logo which looks really amatuerish by comparison.  

And that red brake light on the V8 with the inmotion logo... that's really gorgeous.  

Brake light?

It's barely lit up on my V8. Not functional at all. 

Doesn't act like a brake lit and isn't bright enough to act as a tail light. 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, abinder3 said:

Brake light?

It's barely lit up on my V8. Not functional at all. 

Doesn't act like a brake lit and isn't bright enough to act as a tail light. 

I was referring to the logo design specifically.  I kinda like the red glowing logo of the inMotion. :D 

On 2017-4-17 at 5:29 PM, abinder3 said:

But it's totally worthless if you're riding at night. 

Mine is worthless at daytime but actually quite visible at night. It's not a regular back light with 150m visibility, but maybe 15m, which is still better than nothing. EDIT: and the LEDs are perfectly visible from behind and much much brighter than the logo. Programmed in red, they seem to function like perfectly legit backlights to me.

11 hours ago, abinder3 said:

But it's totally worthless if you're riding at night. 

I can totally appreciate the need for visibility at night for you lucky folks with dedicated bike lanes and need to be seen by motorists, from where I'm from we aren't allowed to ride on the roads :(  I'm mostly constrained to riding in the park/sidewalks.  I guess some sort of strobe on the back of your helmet/backpack/pocket or reflector strips would work alongside those disco lights we already have.  

By day, she's a beauty queen, by night a disco babe.  The V8 is a gorgeous piece of engineering. 

This interesting description of the advanced Solowheel firmware makes me think the firmware could be a major reason for the possible buy out. It fits what Inmotion is going for (smaller batteries, more versatile, refined, city commuter wheels). Not sure how "advanced" the current Inmotion fw is.

• 1 month later...

There's going to be an announcement very shortly about the 'New' Solowheel.

If you're in the US & considering purchasing either a V5F or V8, now is the time do so, because by the end of the month, Inmotion branded Electric Unicycles will no longer be offered in North America. The new Solowheel branded products will be more expensive, how much more, I'm not at liberty to disclose at the moment....:unsure:

42 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

The new Solowheel branded products will be more expensive, how much more, I'm not at liberty to disclose at the moment....:unsure:

*welp*

I don't mind paying more as long as the product is better and competitively priced with the comparable competition. *Fingers crossed* that SoloWheel is not just going to it's old playbook of stagnant development with yesterday's over-pricing.

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

The new Solowheel branded products will be more expensive, how much more, I'm not at liberty to disclose at the moment....:unsure:

WTF???

Will there at least be some technical changes (like the assumedly better Solowheel software on the Inmotions) or is this a pure money grab/"I invented this and everyone else gets sued!" patent crap thing by Solowheel?

2 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

If you're in the US & considering purchasing either a V5F or V8, now is the time do so, because by the end of the month, Inmotion branded Electric Unicycles will no longer be offered in North America. 

I'll rush out and buy a Kingsong then. :)

My guess is the Inmotion prices will rise because they put in bigger batteries in their new and rebranded models. Otherwise it'd be hard to sell wheels given the competition.

2 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

There's going to be an announcement very shortly about the 'New' Solowheel.

If you're in the US & considering purchasing either a V5F or V8, now is the time do so, because by the end of the month, Inmotion branded Electric Unicycles will no longer be offered in North America. The new Solowheel branded products will be more expensive, how much more, I'm not at liberty to disclose at the moment....:unsure:

Does this mean you will be an authorized dealer for Solowheel?

How are they going to cram more batteries in there unless they change the shells? There was a Russian who somehow did get more batteries into his existing V8 shell (I believe by removing the battery box) but I doubt that was up to Inmotion's usual build standards.

Also, would be nice to see bigger batteries, but looking at what Solowheel thought of bigger batteries until now, I don't have much hope:mellow:

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/13/2017 at 3:47 PM, houseofjob said:

*welp*

I don't mind paying more as long as the product is better and competitively priced with the comparable competition. *Fingers crossed* that SoloWheel is not just going to it's old playbook of stagnant development with yesterday's over-pricing.

There will be nothing "better", about the V5F+ or V8 that are rebranded. It will be the same crap but at a much much higher price. Nobody that actually knows about EUCs will buy these wheels since you could just buy another already existing brand with way better specs at the same "new price" or maybe even lower.

On 7/9/2017 at 2:55 PM, fearedbliss said:

it's old playbook of stagnant development with yesterday's over-pricing.

I don't think you should have crossed out "over"! Solowheel are the world's over-pricing champions.

20 minutes ago, em1barns said:

there was a first product announced by the the JV between Solowheel & inmotion in France, and it is an.... Hoverboard

WHAT?? A very foolish decision, in my opinion!

16 hours ago, em1barns said:

Just FYI, as confirmed by @Jason McNeil, there was a first product announced by the the JV between Solowheel & inmotion in France, and it is an.... Hoverboard, called solowheel C3. Shipping in September. 

• What, Solowheel brand on Inmotion products outside of the US? Is this madness not just limited to the US side of things? I thought the rest of the world would be spared.
  • A hoverboard called Solowheel... you know, a hoverboard has two wheels... two... TWO!
    If you ever thought Solowheel was a bad brand name, and sounded like LonerWheel or LonelyWheel or IHaveNoFriendsWheel, at least it could be explained by saying the "solo" corresponds to the one wheel of the thing. Now, not even that...
    If they at least had patent-troll-forced Inmotion to use the Inventist brand, but Solowheel?
    Inmotion is such a great brand name for electric ridables. Why kill it?

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Inmotion is such a great brand name for electric ridables. Why kill it?

I don't think that will happen.  It will probably be called Inmotion by Solowheel, just like Ninebot is now called Ninebot by Segway.  It will just tie the two names together, increasing brand awareness.  Just yesterday two people stopped me and asked what it was.  When I said it was a Segway, they seemed to understand better than when I used to tell people it was a Ninebot, few people know of Ninebot but everyone has heard of Segway, and probably Solowheel also, at least in the United States.

Well the v8 is sold out at ewheels.com:

"SOLD OUT. Inmotion V8 & V5F will be rebranded as Solowheel, the V8 will be known as the ‘Glide 3’ at a 50%+ higher price."

Head on over to Solowheel Seattle, and we can see the "Glide 3" now available for the low low price of $1595.  Ugh.  This wheel is now overpriced.  Way overpriced considering the 480wh battery.  The V5F (not +, 340wh only) is now the "Glide 2" at $999, and there's also a "Glide 2 Lite" which looks to be a slightly beefed up V5 with a 450w motor vs 350w and with a 160wh battery that is "FAA carry-on and checked approved".

I'm feeling slightly angry at this.  What were once highly recommendable wheels are now priced out of the running, at least here in the USA.  SMH, as the kids say today.

Archived