Inmotion V8 tyre / inner tube / replacement

Flavour

On June 2, 2017 at 10:33 AM, TechShizzle said:

hink that might just be a "better safe than sorry" thing as I would hate to drop a screwdriver on the motherboard and short something out. I've done worse!

Its really pretty easy to take the wheel off the mainboard and battery compartments. I dont remember ever touching the mainboard. Follow that video and @Justina tutorial to fill in the gaps. You only really need to unstick about three leds on each side. But her video shows the screws positioning better. 

I have slimed the wheel and do so on all my wheels. It works before and after a puncture so add it now. Atleast 4 oz is recommended. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/18/2017 at 5:10 PM, radial said:

@charlesrg  How did your attempt at converting the V8 to tubeless go?

Sorry for the delay responding. The story goes like this:

Had to order few different valves to try as the wheel has a weird side hole, if the valve is too long it will rub the plastic. Got that addressed.

Tried many times to inflate the original tire with compressed air and co2 but always failed, also tried using tubeless sealant but failed. I needed to use the wheel so I assembled it back with a cheap tube that I got from Amazon so far the tube is holding fine.

Long story short no luck yet. My recommendation for anyone trying is to make the tubeless conversion to do it before assembling the wheel. I had it remounted and it was lots of trouble to access the valve. My concern was valve clearance so I wanted it assembled to ensure it was going to clear.

The tires once in the rim bend inwards, making it hard for air to stay and create pressure.

Disclaimer: I've set about 50 tubeless tires before. I've road, mountain, cyclocross bikes all on tubeless.

Didn't had the space to try inflating them with propane gas as seen on youtube vides of tractor tires. I've no experience with that and won't do it indoors.

I will attempt again if I have problems with this tube, wich I think might never happen :P Opening the wheel is too much pain.

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

Hi - 

I wanted to say that I followed this thread's advice and used the "unhook the LEDs" method of changing the tire, and I think it is decidedly inferior to the Inmotion designed mechanism. Inmotion has a perfectly good video showing how to do it as designed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfgphZXpPtw

the problem with the Justina's Garage mechanism is you end up cracking the two inner shells apart. This exposes you to all the fiddly bits which are in the centerline, which is the pick-up switch, the backup light, the power connector. In my case, I broke both the rear light and the pick-up switch irreparably.

The tradeoff is you have to disconnect the power cables from the mainboard, but those are _designed_ to be removed and put back together.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, bbulkow said:

I wanted to say that I followed this thread's advice and used the "unhook the LEDs" method of changing the tire, and I think it is decidedly inferior to the Inmotion designed mechanism. Inmotion has a perfectly good video showing how to do it as designed.

which agrees with what @TechShizzle wrote:

On 4/12/2017 at 7:23 PM, TechShizzle said:

This is doing it the hard way.

I just replaced my tire on my V8. Start by removing the outer shells. Once the outer shells are off, remove the 4 screws on each side attaching the wheel to the inner shells, then remove the motherboard cover and unplug the cables going from the motherboard to the wheel. No other motherboard manipulation is required.  Then the whole assembly slides out the bottom. Super easy.

This way you don't need to touch the LED strips, so there's issue with the adhesive losing it's "sticky", or damaging the LED strips in anyway. The whole process took me less than half an hour, and I'm not particularly mechanically inclined.

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...
On 4/11/2017 at 8:18 PM, Flavour said:

I like Schwalbe Big Apple - it's great for cities, as it has lower profile and it's overall narrower. Besides it's smooth so it's almost completely silent.

However, for new riders it's easier to have a 2.125 or wider tyre. I also recommend Schwalbe Mad Mike as an off-road / winter tyre - but it makes some noise on asphalt.

Schwalbe has also a separate line for electric bicycles, but I've never had a chance to try it.

Have you even tried both the Schwalbe Big Apple and the Mad Mike on the V8?

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/9/2018 at 12:09 PM, charlesrg said:

Had to order few different valves to try as the wheel has a weird side hole, if the valve is too long it will rub the plastic. Got that addressed.

Do you remember which valve stem worked for you? Thanks.

On 6/29/2022 at 3:22 AM, Student4Life said:

I started a procedure at ifixit and referenced some of this thread.

On the V8/V8F, you don't need to remove the pedals to change the tube or tire.

Edited by Mono

14 hours ago, lkrasnov said:

Do you remember which valve stem worked for you? Thanks.

I figured I can use any standard (short) Schrader stem. To prevent the valve from hitting the shell, I cut and fold some piece of an old tube, make a hole in it and put it over the valve before to install the tube, as a spacer between valve bed and rim. IIRC I used four tube layers (twice both sides of the tube).

Edited by Mono