Would ABS (anti lock braking) be feasible on wheels?

LanghamP

Really just an idle thought while admiring how quickly wheel technology has advanced and how sleek they now look.

I just do not see how abs would succeed in not dumping you because you're already leaned forward or back, and now the wheel is trying to catch up with you but then you hit that slick spot. However, perhaps it could increase or mitigate the time it takes to crash (you're still going down but the wheel doesn't instantly slip away from you so much as gently fall away). A little extra time to react gives a lot less injuries.

Thoughts?

Well, there's one problem. Usually, anti lock brakes compare the rotation of several wheels to one another to determine, if one wheel is locked up. On a unicycle, there are no other wheels to compare to.

Furthermore, I don't think it would solve any problem. The wheel "thinks" rather in torque than in speed. Different situations (lean, in-/decline) require different amounts of torque. If the traction of the wheel does not match the required torque, you hit the ground. Doesn't matter if the wheel tries to avoid slip and therefore does not apply enough torque, or if the wheel slips... On the contrary, in a video of EUCextreme it was shown, that on loose surface an EUC can be driven with some wheelspin (and drift angle). This would no longer be possible, if the wheel, however it's possible, avoids the tire slipping.

The HAL sensor can detect rate of change, yes? If the rate of change is too high, as in a locked wheel or a free-spinning wheel, then a comparison to other wheels would not be needed. I believe this was how the older BMW motorcycles worked. And Dodge Neons...

So assuming the wheel can detect unreasonably high rates of acceleration, then what? I just don't see a way of not eventually dumping you.

3 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

The HAL sensor can detect rate of change, yes? If the rate of change is too high, as in a locked wheel or a free-spinning wheel, then a comparison to other wheels would not be needed. I believe this was how the older BMW motorcycles worked. And Dodge Neons...

So assuming the wheel can detect unreasonably high rates of acceleration, then what? I just don't see a way of not eventually dumping you.

So are you trying to say that there's a situation where you could actually 'lock up' an EUC ?  If you can, you'd be seeing people posting videos of black skid marks that they've left with their EUC when they 'locked up' the wheel.

No way is it possible.

Allen

1 hour ago, abinder3 said:

So are you trying to say that there's a situation where you could actually 'lock up' an EUC ?  If you can, you'd be seeing people posting videos of black skid marks that they've left with their EUC when they 'locked up' the wheel.

No way is it possible.

Allen

This. Electric unicycles and all other self-balancing wheels all use regenerative braking to slow down. Regenerative braking is inherently anti-lock braking. Locking occurs in vehicles where the wheel can somehow lock up and stop with the vehicle still in motion. You see that with caliper brakes that simply use friction like in motorcycles, bicycles, and cars.

So the OP is incorrect to try to call this "anti-lock braking" as a way to stop or slow down overleaning cutoffs. You ultimately need some other mechanism that prevents the body of the unicycle from tipping forward in the event of a power cutoff. 

2 hours ago, Michael Vu said:

This. Electric unicycles and all other self-balancing wheels all use regenerative braking to slow down. Regenerative braking is inherently anti-lock braking. Locking occurs in vehicles where the wheel can somehow lock up and stop with the vehicle still in motion. You see that with caliper brakes that simply use friction like in motorcycles, bicycles, and cars.

So the OP is incorrect to try to call this "anti-lock braking" as a way to stop or slow down overleaning cutoffs. You ultimately need some other mechanism that prevents the body of the unicycle from tipping forward in the event of a power cutoff. 

And why are you quoting me?
It's almost like you think I believe that anti-lock is possible on an EUC.

Allen

I quoted you because I said "This" as in I agree with this statement. I then further expanded on why I agree with you.

My 2nd paragraph is targeted back towards the original poster of this thread trying to say otherwise.

Archived