Att all ? Or Shud I say all monster owners

I been reading comments from some monster owners on this forum some good, some bad and some a lil disappointing, so after owning your monster for some weeks now I have one question for you, WOULD YOU SAY THE MONSTER IS WORTH GETTING OR SHOULD I BE SCARED OF IT?

IMHO worth it. 

Just make sure you find out from a reputable dealer that the stock you're buying is new, with better connectors, and also would recommend buying a pair of MSuper3 pedals to swap out the stock pair, on account of the ACM pedal breaking mess.

1 minute ago, houseofjob said:

IMHO worth it. 

Just make sure you find out from a reputable dealer that the stock you're buying is new, with better connectors, and also would recommend buying a pair of MSuper3 pedals to swap out the stock pair, on account of the ACM pedal breaking mess.

Ok thanks am planning on getting mine from Dion at MyFunWheel.biz I got my msuper 1600 from him and no connection issues so far last time I spoke with him he said his shipment is going through customs and it doesnt seem to be available on his site yet

2 minutes ago, Shabba said:

Ok thanks am planning on getting mine from Dion at MyFunWheel.biz I got my msuper 1600 from him and no connection issues so far last time I spoke with him he said his shipment is going through customs and it doesnt seem to be available on his site yet

Should be new stock then; just see if he'll do you MSuper3 pedals instead of the stock ACM style I'd say.

I've been enjoying mine since January. I'm taking it up into the mountains again this weekend. It's a great wheel and I haven't had any problems.

Just now, Marty Backe said:

I've been enjoying mine since January. I'm taking it up into the mountains again this weekend. It's a great wheel and I haven't had any problems.

I like what I hear so far fellaz!!

@Shabba  I have been enjoying my Monster since February.  I really like the range speed and comfort of the Monster.  I use it every day to commute in rain snow or sun shine in temperatures close to -20C.  I am not sure how it will handle the heat though but I am not really concerned.  I have had a couple of small glitches:

1)Initial charge would only go to 50%, this went away on subsequent charges so cause is a mystery but no issues since

2)Rear light bank is no longer functioning.  I will autopsy early next month to find the cause

3)it can be scary fast.  My phone clocked me at 66kph.  I don't believe it but the speed does creep up without you noticing as the wheel is stable

4) It is not the best hill climber.  This is my biggest and what I would classify as only gripe with the Monster.  The Monster will climb any road hill out there and with a rolling start many off road hills.  However, from a dead start you really need to lean into it to get it going.  Again road hills are fine but off-road I have had to turn back a couple of times.  This may be a technique issue on my part though so I haven't given up.

Hints:

Hint 1, if you are using it as a grocery getter get the seat accessory.  The seat allows you to guide the Monster through the store much easier without bending over as much.

Hint 2, if you need to get it up stairs, leave it on and "pull" the Monster up.  The Monster will lift itself up with very little effort.

Hint 3 If you are planning on riding in the rain make a fender.  I have been using a pattern cut from cheap flexible cutting boards bought at Walmart (5 sheets for $5 makes 10 fenders) You can stick these on with double sided tape and they make all the difference and collapse on impact without damaging the chassis.

Overall, this is an awesome unit and looking through the forum you will find some pretty awesome advice.  In the end I would buy another if I need too.

Overall, I would recommend the Monster if you are going long distances or over rougher ground. If you need to 

5 minutes ago, Merrittous MonoWheel said:

4) It is not the best hill climber.  This is my biggest and what I would classify as only gripe with the Monster.  The Monster will climb any road hill out there and with a rolling start many off road hills.  However, from a dead start you really need to lean into it to get it going.  

Yup, agreed. But I've discovered doing a quick double (or multiple) tug will start the momentum faster in initial acceleration uphill, also while lateral-ing side to side a bit (less steepness).

7 minutes ago, Merrittous MonoWheel said:

Hint 3 If you are planning on riding in the rain make a fender.  I have been using a pattern cut from cheap flexible cutting boards bought at Walmart (5 sheets for $5 makes 10 fenders) You can stick these on with double sided tape and they make all the difference and collapse on impact without damaging the chassis.

Mind posting some pics (not sure if you've already)? My muddy butt thanks you in advance! :D

20 minutes ago, Merrittous MonoWheel said:

@Shabba  I have been enjoying my Monster since February.  I really like the range speed and comfort of the Monster.  I use it every day to commute in rain snow or sun shine in temperatures close to -20C.  I am not sure how it will handle the heat though but I am not really concerned.  I have had a couple of small glitches:

1)Initial charge would only go to 50%, this went away on subsequent charges so cause is a mystery but no issues since

2)Rear light bank is no longer functioning.  I will autopsy early next month to find the cause

3)it can be scary fast.  My phone clocked me at 66kph.  I don't believe it but the speed does creep up without you noticing as the wheel is stable

4) It is not the best hill climber.  This is my biggest and what I would classify as only gripe with the Monster.  The Monster will climb any road hill out there and with a rolling start many off road hills.  However, from a dead start you really need to lean into it to get it going.  Again road hills are fine but off-road I have had to turn back a couple of times.  This may be a technique issue on my part though so I haven't given up.

Hints:

Hint 1, if you are using it as a grocery getter get the seat accessory.  The seat allows you to guide the Monster through the store much easier without bending over as much.

Hint 2, if you need to get it up stairs, leave it on and "pull" the Monster up.  The Monster will lift itself up with very little effort.

Overall, this is an awesome unit and looking through the forum you will find some pretty awesome advice.  In the end I would buy another if I need too.

Overall, I would recommend the Monster if you are going long distances or over rougher ground. If you need to 

Well first off, I really appreciate the time you put into your reply, thank you. I live in Sarasota Florida so there are no hills jus a couple bridges which are not very steep my msuper 820 and 1600 have no problem climbing them so I think the monster should be ok, I ride mostly on the sidewalk or in the bike lane when there are no sidewalks and for the most part they are all smooth with an occasional pothole from the summer rain. I really like the speed and the comfortability of the monster so am really looking fwd to getting one, hopefully the batch that I am waiting on has a few improvements internally as far as the wires/soldering etc

18 minutes ago, Shabba said:

Well first off, I really appreciate the time you put into your reply, thank you. I live in Sarasota Florida so there are no hills jus a couple bridges which are not very steep my msuper 820 and 1600 have no problem climbing them so I think the monster should be ok, I ride mostly on the sidewalk or in the bike lane when there are no sidewalks and for the most part they are all smooth with an occasional pothole from the summer rain. I really like the speed and the comfortability of the monster so am really looking fwd to getting one, hopefully the batch that I am waiting on has a few improvements internally as far as the wires/soldering etc

Florida, awesome.  The Monster will enjoy living there and sounds like the right choice for you.  Enjoy, I know I am!!!

50 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Yup, agreed. But I've discovered doing a quick double (or multiple) tug will start the momentum faster in initial acceleration uphill, also while lateral-ing side to side a bit (less steepness).

Mind posting some pics (not sure if you've already)? My muddy butt thanks you in advance! :D

So I was gliding back from a trip to downtown Vancouver.  It was raining and I was totally soaked.  I saw a bike shop and stopped in to see if I could buy something that would work as a fender for the Monster as my backside was soaked in a rather unpleasant manner.  I looked around the shop with one of the people working there and couldn't find anything.  As I was about to exit the person working with my pulled this out of his backpack and said give it a try:

IMG_0920.jpg.2ac51f1e0da53c9212d176a2a19fb909.jpg

Not the most elegant and has an interesting shape.  The object in the centre is a chap stick positioned for size.  When attached with double sided tape on the wings it formed very well to the wheel (the tab just fits underneath with no tape):

IMG_0923.jpg.70587a358a8785a952e890969c508a47.jpg

I wrecked the first one in an end over end tumble so I cut some more out of cheap cutting boards bought at walmart.  The icon on the red one is a cow head indicating it was meant for meat.  I left it on as I am a Taurus:-)  They work very well are super cheap and depending on the tape you use easy to remove and install.

13 minutes ago, Merrittous MonoWheel said:

So I was gliding back from a trip to downtown Vancouver.  It was raining and I was totally soaked.  I saw a bike shop and stopped in to see if I could buy something that would work as a fender for the Monster as my backside was soaked in a rather unpleasant manner.  I looked around the shop with one of the people working there and couldn't find anything.  As I was about to exit the person working with my pulled this out of his backpack and said give it a try:

IMG_0920.jpg.2ac51f1e0da53c9212d176a2a19fb909.jpg

Not the most elegant and has an interesting shape.  The object in the centre is a chap stick positioned for size.  When attached with double sided tape on the wings it formed very well to the wheel (the tab just fits underneath with no tape):

IMG_0923.jpg.70587a358a8785a952e890969c508a47.jpg

I wrecked the first one in an end over end tumble so I cut some more out of cheap cutting boards bought at walmart.  The icon on the red one is a cow head indicating it was meant for meat.  I left it on as I am a Taurus:-)  They work very well are super cheap and depending on the tape you use easy to remove and install.

I may try this for my MSuper

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

I may try this for my MSuper

They should work well for any wheel just trim to size.  Initially I used a cheap double sided tape which allowed me to install and remove for each ride.   The tape would last a day in the rain. I now use Gorrilla tape and that seems to be holding well for a few days.  Time will tell. 

14 minutes ago, Merrittous MonoWheel said:

<snip>

an end over end tumble

<snip>

That sounds dangerous on the Monster. I've only had one fall on the Monster where it wobbled and jumped a bit on it's side. That was enough to break the dark plastic insert on the top of the handle. Not actually broken, but partially popped out, and the handle sides have separated a little.

The Monster is so heavy that it can't help but get damaged from relatively simple falls.

A end-over-end tumble could probably break lots of things - yours survived apparently?

1 minute ago, Merrittous MonoWheel said:

They should work well for any wheel just trim to size.  Initially I used a cheap double sided tape which allowed me to install and remove for each ride.   The tape would last a day in the rain. I now use Gorrilla tape and that seems to be holding well for a few days.  Time will tell. 

It's really hard to tell from the picture. Is the Gorrilla tape double-sided or is it laid across the tabs on either side?

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

That sounds dangerous on the Monster. I've only had one fall on the Monster where it wobbled and jumped a bit on it's side. That was enough to break the dark plastic insert on the top of the handle. Not actually broken, but partially popped out, and the handle sides have separated a little.

The Monster is so heavy that it can't help but get damaged from relatively simple falls.

A end-over-end tumble could probably break lots of things - yours survived apparently?

The inside of my handle popped out and split.  I was able to pop everything back and I will JB weld on the inside later. Many scraps and scratches but mostly functional still. The rear lights aren't working at the moment which I will find out why later when I remove the cover.  

And yes it was not a pleasant sight looking up the hill and seeing the Monster literally rolling towards me end over end.  Missed me by a couple of feet luckily. 

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It's really hard to tell from the picture. Is the Gorrilla tape double-sided or is it laid across the tabs on either side?

I used double sided on the underside of the outside tabs. The top tab has no tape.  The tension of the curve keeps everything in place.  I just bend and position until it doesn't rub.

I love my Monster but only as a commuter wheel. For me it fits that role and for anything else I ride a different wheel. Long distance or commutes it can't be beat. I really prefer 14 inch as I live in a tight downtown community, but if I am heading out and my ACM isn't up to the task the Monster comes out. I wasn't sure I would like it but I think it is the best commuting experience so far. Also it is HUGE, I haven't seen anyone really mention that the tire itself is very very wide. My only issue is I didn't order more. Honestly didn't not expect interest to be so high in such a large wheel (Doesn't feel as big as it looks though).

Nice! I have an msuper 820 and 1600 also so for stuff like grocery stores or Walmart I definitely will chose one of my msupers just cuz it has the trolley handle and it's not as heavy but I do like long distance riding so the monster  will come in handy for that

On 3/30/2017 at 4:07 AM, Shabba said:

I been reading comments from some monster owners on this forum some good, some bad and some a lil disappointing, so after owning your monster for some weeks now I have one question for you, WOULD YOU SAY THE MONSTER IS WORTH GETTING OR SHOULD I BE SCARED OF IT?

As a proud monster owner, don't feel scared of it, but it's called "monster" for a reason^^ It won't bite, but it eats every pothole, bump or hill. I have gone up every hill with no struggle and I live in the countryside! If you have the money, go for the monster :D  It's worth every penny! 

One last thing, I agree with Shabba in that it takes a while to get going and it goes amazingly up any hills on the road. I cannot speak on off-road riding or off-road hills...it's just not my style. 

Yours truly,

Yashaya

Ordered mine from Jason at ewheels and should be here in the next few weeks . cant wait to give a review as only other wheel I own is a ninebot e+ and I think I will be blown away by the side by side difference. Every day closer to receiving seems harder to sleep.Love my ninebot but have been craving more speed for a long time and am sure this will fix that just hope I dont push the limits to far because it sounds like it really is a monster. 66 kph is scary to even think about

6 hours ago, Steve Persona said:

66 kph is scary to even think about

66 km/h is ludicrous!

But being able to go maybe 40, knowing there's a chunk of margin in there would probably make me quite happy. I'm excited for you!

Archived