Happy Owner of a Ninebot One E +

Tishawn Fahie

I'm so happy to have found this forum about Unicycle's. Unicycles are rare here in the states (NY) - everywhere i go people stop to ask about it and think it's from the future. I use it to commute to work (manhattan) every morning mostly bike trails going over the bridge etc..

I'm a newby here and will post more as i go along.

Weird thing happen though I fell of this thing not to long ago and for whatever reason it wouldn't power back on. I plugged in the charger and and turned it on with no problems. I unplugged it from the charger and it seems to be normal. 

I'm wondering what caused it. The battery was full when  i fell off.

I'm so happy to have found this forum about Unicycle's. Unicycles are rare here in the states (NY) - everywhere i go people stop to ask about it and think it's from the future. I use it to commute to work (manhattan) every morning mostly bike trails going over the bridge etc..

I'm a newby here and will post more as i go along.

Weird thing happen though I fell of this thing not to long ago and for whatever reason it wouldn't power back on. I plugged in the charger and and turned it on with no problems. I unplugged it from the charger and it seems to be normal. 

I'm wondering what caused it. The battery was full when  i fell off.

First of all welcome to the forum.  Glad you found your way here.

As for your euc problem
: Overheat maybe.  But people like @esaj or @Gimlet would know better.

I bow to @esaj 's superior knowledge on the electrical side and to be honest I've never actually seen a bot in the flesh, let alone ridden one. :D

"Superior" "knowledge" on the electrical side... I'd say happy-go-lucky best guesses and deductions based on courses I've taken a long, long time ago and very little real-world knowledge, if you want knowledge of electronics, ask hobby16 ;)

Did it shutdown before or after the fall (ie. did you fall because it powered off under you)? Was it cold (or more specifically, was the wheel/battery cold) when it happened? Were you riding near or at the maximum speed?

Most wheel-brands suffer from a problem in their BMS's (Battery Management System), which is a circuit in the battery that does all sort of wacky things, like control the charging, balancing of the cells and number of protections, the protections being too sensitive are the ones causing problems like unexpected shutdowns. I was under the impression that Ninebot was one of the few brands that doesn't have the problem (others being IPS, probably, and newer Gotways which don't have the protection-circuitry at all anymore). To be more specific, the Ninebots apparently do have the protection circuitry, but it shouldn't be over-sensitive like in most wheels that use BMS's that aren't really designed for this kind of usage (large current spikes due to accelerations & hill climbing, using in low temperature).

Usually when the wheel starts working again after being plugged in to powered charger is the telltale sign that a latched protection in the BMS has been triggered, and resets after it gets power from the charger... but like I said, this shouldn't happen on Ninebots, so it could be something else?

• Thank you all for your response - @esaj - It wasnt on until i fell off ( I was riding slow when i hit a bump). Right after i fell the eu beeped about twice before it shutoff. For the life of me at the time nothing i did was able to power it back on. I thought to myself $925 scooter broken already... I quickly put it in my truck and drove home. I ran upstairs and plugged it in to the charger. I powered it on and the battery life was full - I turned it off unplugged the charger -  turned it back on and all is fine. I turned on the EU hooked it up to the Ninedroid app and it also reported full battery.

Very strange indeed - I think your right the BMS was doing something wacky. I just got back from riding and everything seems to be fine. Im starting to think I need a faster EU - i'm realizing the Ninebotone is a bit on the slow side. Maybe it's just me  - riding this thing thining i'm going at a fair enough speed quickly gives a kickback and i find myself always fighting with it.

And thank you all for the advice - Yes i'm learning as I go along - I'm just glad it's working (cross fingers) - This is my daily commute from Brooklyn to manhattan for work.

I've found the 9b1 occasionally has software gremlins, though not exactly the one you described.  The power regulation on the Ninebot is one of the most sophisticated & complex of the eWheels being produced today. A spontaneous cut-out, should not happen; should it do so again, I'd definitely recommend talking to the reseller about getting it sent back to repair or traded-in for a new one.  

I've found the 9b1 occasionally has software gremlins, though not exactly the one you described.  The power regulation on the Ninebot is one of the most sophisticated & complex of the eWheels being produced today. A spontaneous cut-out, should not happen; should it do so again, I'd definitely recommend talking to the reseller about getting it sent back to repair or traded-in for a new one.  

Hi @Jason McNeil,

I recently purchased my 9B1 E+ due to perceived (and actualized) safety issues with my old AirWheel X8.  I am just now regaining confidence from the serious fall I took.  And so your casual remark about 9B1 having occasional software gremlins is alarming to me.  Is there any place you could point me where these issues are spelled out, or can you perhaps clarify?   Safety is a priority for me.

Thanks for anything you can add. 

dpong

Hi @Jason McNeil,

I recently purchased my 9B1 E+ due to perceived (and actualized) safety issues with my old AirWheel X8.  I am just now regaining confidence from the serious fall I took.  And so your casual remark about 9B1 having occasional software gremlins is alarming to me.  Is there any place you could point me where these issues are spelled out, or can you perhaps clarify?   Safety is a priority for me.

Thanks for anything you can add. 

dpong

I have no real experience with Ninebots, but as a general rule of thumb, if it works just fine, don't be the first to rush and install newest firmware when it comes out. Instead let others test & find the (new) problems with it, and update only after you've heard what other people have found out, and if it sounds bad, don't update & wait for a newer version  ;)  That's what I do with, say, Linux-distros & phone OS updates... :P

As @esaj said, most the issues have been sorted out in firmware release. It is only Ninebot & Inmotion who offer this capability at the moment, no eWheel is perfect, especially as soon as the first units come off the factory assembly line, so this is really a significant feature in their favour. 

I would drop the reseller a line, letting him know what happened, then keep a eye out for a repeat & act accordingingly.

Good luck! 

Thank-you for that, @Jason McNeil, that sets my mind somewhat at ease. 

To be clear, and to be fair, I have had no safety issues with the Ninebot One E+ as of now. 

To be fair to the AirWheel X8, I was simultaneously 1) riding on a somewhat depleted battery 2) up a fairly steep hill 3) pushing it to the speed limit causing the dreaded beeping 4) accelerating and 5) hit a tiny tiny little bump.  

I was ignorant at that time that this is a very bad idea, and learned that lesson the hard way.   So I'll call "user error" on that one.  I do think the NB1 will be safer for me as it has more to give and I don't need to push the limits.  I appreciate the reply, Jason. 

Tishawn said, " I ran upstairs and plugged it in to the charger. I powered it on and the battery life was full - I turned it off unplugged the charger."

When you rode the NOE+ and crashed, was the battery charged and the first section that you started riding was downhill?

I have a Boosted Skateboard, and on downhills or when you slow down, the motors regenerate and recharge the batteries.  If you start out will a fully charged battery and you ride on a downhill section, the controller shuts off the current to the battery so as to not overcharge the battery and damage it.  Just before the shut off, there are about three beeps, then the motors go into freewheel mode.

The NOE+ also regenerates, and if you crashed, ran upstairs and plugged it into the charger and the battery was full, then I suspect that your NOE+ is operating the same as my Boosted Board.

Let us know??

• Thank you all for your response - @esaj - It wasnt on until i fell off ( I was riding slow when i hit a bump). Right after i fell the eu beeped about twice before it shutoff. For the life of me at the time nothing i did was able to power it back on. I thought to myself $925 scooter broken already... I quickly put it in my truck and drove home. I ran upstairs and plugged it in to the charger. I powered it on and the battery life was full - I turned it off unplugged the charger -  turned it back on and all is fine. I turned on the EU hooked it up to the Ninedroid app and it also reported full battery.

Very strange indeed - I think your right the BMS was doing something wacky. I just got back from riding and everything seems to be fine. Im starting to think I need a faster EU - i'm realizing the Ninebotone is a bit on the slow side. Maybe it's just me  - riding this thing thining i'm going at a fair enough speed quickly gives a kickback and i find myself always fighting with it.

And thank you all for the advice - Yes i'm learning as I go along - I'm just glad it's working (cross fingers) - This is my daily commute from Brooklyn to manhattan for work.

If you fell but the Ninebot One is still powered(red flash led lights) then that is bad luck occasionally. But if you fell and Ninebot One is shut off and the battery was full then you need to contact Ninebot Inc. You battery, control board or charger has a minor issue maybe. It will stop working when you regenerate power charge back into your battery when it is already full. So going downhills or quick slowing down from high speed when it is fully charged will trigger the "shutting-off".  It could be surprising in some cases to shut off power with no alert. Basically if you can, you need to try to charge your unit with another charger from your supplier or buy another one to see if the problem persists. Or just change your battery with Ninebot Inc to eliminate the issue for good.

Why this is happening? basically it is because the charger over-charge the battery by a small voltage offset, so when you ride and regenerate power into battery while the voltage is still higher than standard, the over-charging protection function kick in and shut off your ninebot one power supply. (Yes it is supposed to be a self protect function for the battery.) So it is an issue with battery power management system and the charger. Change either of them would be able to fix the problem most likely.  It is a BMS issue but it only happens when it is fully charged. if you carefully use some power to take it off the peak, it is trouble free with the rest of the power supplying until you charge it fully again.

Contact your dealer see if they can help you with at least a new charger to start with. If not, just contact Ninebot Inc. to describe the issue and ask for a battery replacement or at least the new charger.

Unfortunately, it is not something that can be fixed by firmware update at this stage. So change charge to try to have a quick fix or change battery to fix it for good.

Here is how you contact Ninebot customer service: 

https://plus.google.com/+MengkeLi51/posts/eJPUMdRRf1F

Why I know all this?

I have seen this happening before and tested one Ninebot One with this issue myself. It shuts off as we anticipated rapidly slowing down from high speed when it is fully charged. At last, it was resolved by changing another battery.

I do care when there is some minor issue with Ninebot One(regardless if I sold it or someone else did) and I dig out the root cause with Ninebot Inc to figure out the best solution. 

The Ninebot One E+ I am offering is most likely the same as any other dealer but the service I am offering should be much better.

I offer the best deal and service for Ninebot One, as well as the best collection of Ninebot One accessories.

Find the offers at: wheelyouride.webs.com or

the Ninebot One community on Google+ at: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/103704604858097234749

Mengke

from 

wheelyouride.webs.com

First time I hear that Ninebot BMS has an overcharge protection that can shut off the power... :o  Better change the battery ASAP to one which hasn't got this problem, charging it to lower voltage (ie. not charging it all the way to full) is a temporary remedy, if you for example always start your ride from top of a hill (I'd expect the downhill regenerative breaking would trigger this also, if starting with full battery). What I don't get is why it cuts off the DISCHARGE side on overcharge..? Or is it the mainboard that handles the cut off?

It was with some units with "E01" serial numbers, so maybe with newer units "E02" the problems has been solved at factory. I suppose it cuts off the power because at the very moment the charging is overweighting the discharging. And the mainboard consider that as a short term charging process. I have experienced it myself and witnessed one happening in front of me and heard from another rider. My theory is to try with a different charger to fix the issue at lowest cost but I have witnessed that same charger charge other units just fine. But different ninebot run with problematic battery both shut off. So I guess the battery plays a vital role in this issue. Although changing charger may still able to fix the issue. The root cause could be faulty charger but now the common solution is to replace with a more forgiving battery....

If someone can test with a different charger and eliminate the problem, please let me know. I need that piece of information urgently....

First time I hear that Ninebot BMS has an overcharge protection that can shut off the power... :o  Better change the battery ASAP to one which hasn't got this problem, charging it to lower voltage (ie. not charging it all the way to full) is a temporary remedy, if you for example always start your ride from top of a hill (I'd expect the downhill regenerative breaking would trigger this also, if starting with full battery). What I don't get is why it cuts off the DISCHARGE side on overcharge..? Or is it the mainboard that handles the cut off?

It was with some units with "E01" serial numbers, so maybe with newer units "E02" the problems has been solved at factory.

Hi mengke, I just checked the serial number of mine and found N1OEB15... .

Could you tell if that is a newer or an older version of the bot, cause it does not seem to fit into the E01 or E02 system.

Cheers!

Hi mengke, I just checked the serial number of mine and found N1OEB15... .

Could you tell if that is a newer or an older version of the bot, cause it does not seem to fit into the E01 or E02 system.

Cheers!

Sorry it was my bad. I mean to say N1O and N2O. They are both E+. But only the first 100+ E+ has got the N1O serial number. If it is fine when you ride it should feel the same as any other E+ but if it has issues then contact Ninebot Inc. and I believe they will help you straight away.

Mengke

from

wheelyouride.webs.com

I suppose it is a function for part of the battery rather than the mainboard. I have used problematic battery with different Ninebot One and the problem persisted but still that cannot tell us if the problem is from the battery or the mainboard.

Isn't the recent clampdown (past week, DHL among others) on lithium battery by air affecting delivery times?

You are correct. We are suffering from the delay due to this incident. But hopefully it is just a short term issue and will get back to normal soon.

Thank you all for your replies - @Jason McNeil - Yeah I get kinda scared at times. The last thing i need is for this thing to shut off while i'm riding. - I use this thing to commute to work every morning - from Brooklyn to Manhattan and back. The safety feature on this thing to me at least is on point. If your going to fast it slows you down with the kick back although i do find sometimes the kick back is so strong your kinda thrown off the thing, that has happens to me alot. I have learned to slow down the minute i feel i'm going to fast.

We all know as riders all it takes for us to fall is for the unicycle to just "shut off". I'm very confident in this thing but at the same time the small glitches (kick backs when not going too fast) do worry me.

The time when the unicycle didn't turn on after the fall - ( the battery was fully charged I know this because i charged the device every night. The charger turns green when the unicycle is charged i think indicating to the user that the over charge protection has been activated. When I took the fall (not a bad one) the thing beeped like it normally does and shut off. I only rode for about 20 minutes before i fell.

Nothing it would not turn on at all. Worried that i had a $900 brick i drove home hooked it to a charge. not even a minute passed  as soon as i plugged it in i turned it on and it was working again with full battery.

Strange.... It hasn't happen since - (or maybe because I haven't fallen yet).

Fingers crossed.

• 1 month later...

Archived