Ninebot E+(Gen1) Top Speed

Electric Dreams

After not being on the E+ for so long I finally had to get back on it. 

But I realized I was only going 22km before pedal tilt back. 

I remember being able to go 24.8km before tilt back...did that happen? Or did an update decrease the speed?

I have a suspicion that they did decrease max speed with an update, but I have no proof.  I run V1.2.2 on my E+ and get tilt-back somewhere between 14 and 15 mph.  (More than 14, sometimes less than 15.)  But I have heard other US riders speak of getting it around 13mph.  Either their higher update level did that, or maybe they have different hardware, than I do?  One more reason I'm glad I didn't upgrade the firmware.  I hope someone else provides a definitive answer. 

Did you gain any weight over the winter?  :whistling:  How's the tire pressure?  I weigh about 167 pounds, and at 50 psi on my wheel running firmware 1.2.5 it starts tilting back at about 22 kph.  On apps like 9bmetrics it indicates I've hit 23.5 kph now and then,  but that's likely riding the tiltback before slowing down.  It might be a preprogrammed hard limit that doesn't vary?

23 hours ago, Jack Frost said:

After not being on the E+ for so long I finally had to get back on it. 

But I realized I was only going 22km before pedal tilt back. 

I remember being able to go 24.8km before tilt back...did that happen? Or did an update decrease the speed?

I got up to 24 for a few seconds before slowing down and never got tiltback.  1.4.0.  The speedometer starts showing orange at about 20 kmh, but even at 15 mph never got beeps or tiltback.  15mph feels too fast for me to ride safely.  From reading other peoples posts I'm thinking my E+ can go faster than normal, or the app is off a little.  Either way, I don't ride that fast for long.  About 11 or 12 mph I can sustain if I know the terrain.  If I was younger, shorter, lighter, and had smaller feet, I might complain about the speed, but as it is, I can't complain.

But you said it's been a long time since you were on the Ninebot.  Could be the batteries have lost a little voltage.

I envy you people who complain about not going fast enough.:huh:

@steve454 I agree that 15mph feels quite fast, almost terrifyingly so.  Add to that the idea of getting a good stiff tilt-back at 15mph, and YIKES!  I rarely hit 15mph but I do occasionally (recently) find myself brushing up against it from time to time.  I'm seriously considering upgrading to KingSong KS16s -- Jason reports top speed of something like 21mph.  I think that will give me plenty of headroom, and hopefully I won't find a reason to go that fast.  

5 minutes ago, dpong said:

top speed of something like 21mph.  I think that will give me plenty of headroom, and hopefully I won't find a reason to go that fast.  

Having the extra headroom would seem to safer, but is too fast if you hit something like a rock that kicks the tire out to the side.  My main problem is that I have a weak eye and my depth perception is very poor.  I guess I will always be limited to slower speeds than most people.  I can only wish I could go that fast and be able to have confidence that I would not get thrown.

• 2 weeks later...

I find 23kph a speed I can sustain without beeps or tilt back, but only when riding on a flat and smooth surface, like a new bicycle path. Rough terrain causes beeps much earlier. Exceeding 23kph first results in beeping, then in gentle tilt back. I am using firmware 1.4.0. Compared to earlier firmware versions, I like the current behavior best. Previously I used to get sudden tilt back before any audible warning. Beeping started only when leaning against the tit back. I found that somewhat annoying. It's better to be warned by a beep first, before tilt back actually kicks in.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎02‎.‎04‎.‎2017 at 11:39 PM, Christoph Zens said:

I find 23kph a speed I can sustain without beeps or tilt back, but only when riding on a flat and smooth surface, like a new bicycle path. Rough terrain causes beeps much earlier. Exceeding 23kph first results in beeping, then in gentle tilt back. I am using firmware 1.4.0. Compared to earlier firmware versions, I like the current behavior best. Previously I used to get sudden tilt back before any audible warning. Beeping started only when leaning against the tit back. I found that somewhat annoying. It's better to be warned by a beep first, before tilt back actually kicks in.

I like the quite opposite - no beeps before tiltback. Very happy camper here.

I prefer mild tiltback _before audible, so (on ks16) I have tiltback at 28kph, (audible) alarm at 30kph.  Note: I find ks16 tiltback gentle - it does not upset my balance and is not wishy-washy (v5f+ tiltback seems wishy-washy to me).

4 hours ago, duaner said:

I prefer mild tiltback _before audible, so (on ks16) I have tiltback at 28kph, (audible) alarm at 30kph.  Note: I find ks16 tiltback gentle - it does not upset my balance and is not wishy-washy (v5f+ tiltback seems wishy-washy to me).

It's great that they let you configure this however you like on modern wheels. For the NB1, I was paying closer attention recently and now I'm not even sure if what I wrote about firmware 1.4.0 is entirely correct. Their algorithm seems to be somewhat more complicated. For example, when I ride on a very smooth and flat surface and accelerate slowly up to top speed, I get tilt back without any beeps. However, when there are bumps, or I'm climbing a hill, I get the beeps before any tilt back. Maybe these are the power draw beeps. This is maybe the same on modern wheels. Not configurable and independent of speed. So, what does a KS16 with tilt back speed set lower than alarm speed do when it reaches power limits? Does it then first tilt back or beep?

I've never

On 4/24/2017 at 2:18 AM, Christoph Zens said:

... So, what does a KS16 with tilt back speed set lower than alarm speed do when it reaches power limits? Does it then first tilt back or beep?

I've not noticed tiltback at all for power-limits (it might be there, but I've never noticed it).  I do get audible alarms for power-limits; I immediately backoff power when the audible alarm starts - so if tiltback were to follow the audible alarm, I would not know it.

Archived