The tale of the Mystery Gotway MSuper v3+ 1600.

LanghamP

A week ago a large box showed up dumped outside my doorway addressed to me. Now I had ordered then cancelled an IPS Lhotz about a month ago due to them being out of stock, so when it showed up with electric unicycle I was not that surprised, and figured they did not cancel the order in time. Plus I did want to get a second unicycle for my girlfriend, so this wasn't really a surprise and I was probably going to buy it anyway.

Surprise surprise, it wasn't an IPS. It was a 1600 MSuper V3S+, which is like the best birthday present ever. I know I didn't order that, and no one I know ordered it, but I have occasionally received presents from family members about things I talk about so it isn't completely out of the ordinary. I did contact four dealers who I had shopped around and the shipper, with no result.

I opened the box, played around with the unicycle to my great, almost sexual, satisfaction.

A week later a plaintive email shows up with the seller declaring he had sent the Gotway to the wrong address.

Now this is where it gets interesting; Federal law in the USA says an items sent to you can be kept as a gift, but only if it is addressed to you (incorrect delivery to a different address requires you to return the item). 

Information here and here.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0181-unordered-merchandise

http://www.moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/stathtml/40700002001.html

So I ask you, my fellow readers, do you

1. Keep the wheel as a gift?

2. Return the wheel so long as they pay for shipping?

3. Buy the wheel but at substantial discount?

4. Other possibilities...?

One thing I notice is that we behave very differently depending on how public our decisions are; a lot of people virtue-signal but are not virtuous--we call those "white knights". It's more interesting what we do in the dark.

Want to tell who the dealer is? And how did they get your address?

Or is it a private seller and the wheel isn't new?

Anyways, my opinion is, EUC dealers are in a position where we should rather support them. So either, send it back (of course the costs are paid by the sender) or buy it for a little discount (if you even want a V3s+).

If it's a private seller, pretty much the same (also, the "you can keep it" might not apply then).

I would also like to know, how the dealer gets or has your adress?

then: most of the gW dealers USA i know are tec toyz, myfunwheel and a new NY dealer....

They ALL are small dealers, more of a hobby then big business...they all are nice people, and as long as they pay for shipping back, i would definitely go that way!

The wheel is brand-new from a EUC dealer and the order probably got mixed up with an Inmotion vf5 I ordered at that time.

The important thing is that I'm not asking for advice as I've already carried out my decision; I'm curious as to what you readers would do and why.

I would return it at their expense (they arrange for pickup at my house). If it was a wheel that I had really wanted I would offer to purchase it for maybe a 20% discount. If I was the original purchaser I wouldn't want to get a wheel that had already been opened and ridden by someone else.

So, did you purchase an MSuper? ;)

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

I opened the box, played around with the unicycle to my great, almost sexual, satisfaction.

.... It's more interesting what we do in the dark.

:blink: What the heck are you doing to that poor wheel in the dark?  Okay no - don't tell me I'm only on a need to know basis, and my mind is twisted enough already.  :innocent1:

Ride it like you stole it baaaaby!  VLOG it and smack that fact all over the interwebs!  Woot!  Rub it in their face yo!  You won the lotto you won the lotto! :w00t2:

Now that is out of my system, :unsure:, my higher brain functions that dictate morality and ethics, however suppressed they may be, tell me that I would return the wheel on their dime with home pick-up.  I actually received a $500 set of studio speakers from eBay's Global Shipping department one year.  I informed them of their error and contacted the people involved.  I think eBay thought I was scamming them or something, but it ended up that they didn't want the speakers back since they would have to pay for shipping from my house to the buyer and that they could not guarantee that I didn't tamper with them (sexually or otherwise).  I said okay great!  :huh:  I've been meaning to sell them off, but they have been sitting in my hallway for the past few years.  Sigh... another item on my to do list... :yawn:

4 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:blink: What the heck are you doing to that poor wheel in the dark?  Okay no - don't tell me I'm only on a need to know basis, and my mind is twisted enough already.  :innocent1:

Ride it like you stole it baaaaby!  VLOG it and smack that fact all over the interwebs!  Woot!  Rub it in there face yo!  You won the lotto you won the lotto!  :w00t2:

Now that is out of my system, :unsure:, my higher brain functions that dictate morality and ethics, however suppressed they may be, tell me that I would return the wheel on their dime with home pick-up.  I actually received a $500 set of studio speakers from eBay's Global Shipping department one year.  I informed them of their error and contacted the people involved.  I think eBay thought I was scamming them or something, but it ended up that they didn't want the speakers back since they would have to pay for shipping from my house to the buyer and that they could not guarantee that I didn't tamper with them (sexually or otherwise).  I said okay great!  :huh:  I've been meaning to sell them off, but they have been sitting in my hallway for the past few years.  Sigh... another item on my to do list... :yawn:

Those long Canadian winters really do start affecting you guys :facepalm: Warm weather is coming - please hang in there.

As a long time Amazon Prime member, more than once they've told me to keep the product, even if the mistake was mine. Unfortunately they don't yet sell EUC's :(

I had a similar experience before I received a gift for a birthday present delivered to me. It turned out to be an ipad I looked at the invoice and it was addressed to a good friend who was overseas at the time. I sent him an email to thank him for the expensive gift. His reply to me was hope you like it and enjoy.

A week later when he got back we had a drink together after work, I again thanked him but this time I mentioned the ipad. He was surprised and said he didn't but me an ipad, turns out it was a ipod.

I called up the store and after 10 minutes of speaking to various people finally they realised the issue. I explained it had already been open and played with was happy to return, the manager asked me if I would be happy to keep it in place of the iPod. I was over moon with the reply, this was a large chain store so I'm guessing it wouldn't hurt the bottom line.

You opened and used it in good faith believing it was a gift so I'm sure if you like the wheel you should be able to get a great discount. If they don't just get them to arrange to have it picked up. Throughout life I have always believed in karma doing the right thing has always been much more rewarding. Euc sellers are not huge retailers who can wear losses like this, and by you posting I already know you will be doing the right thing.

14 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Those long Canadian winters really do start affecting you guys :facepalm: Warm weather is coming - please hang in there.

As a long time Amazon Prime member, more than once they've told me to keep the product, even if the mistake was mine. Unfortunately they don't yet sell EUC's :(

Wha what?  :blink:  How can you tell the winters here make us Canadians slightly stir crazy?  :innocent1:  Well that and lack of sleep do funny things to the brain.  :wacko:

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Ride it like you stole it baaaaby!  VLOG it and smack that fact all over the interwebs!  Woot!  Rub it in their face yo!  You won the lotto you won the lotto! :w00t2:

You have me :laughbounce2: histerically Hunka!

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

4. Other possibilities...?

You know how I love Gotway! I would tell them the wheel broke while you were riding it, take it all apart, send them some photos, you own it!

Another idea, give it your fellow EUC member @meepmeepmayerthat is currently without a wheel. 

Archived