Tricks for Foot Adjustment While Riding?

dpong

Early on, I followed some advice for better or worse, and instead of focusing on mounting unassisted, I used something to hold onto and focused on learning to ride.  Frankly, I never really broke the habit.  I almost always mount while holding onto my car or other stationary structure.   I did practice mounting some, and on my AirWheel X8 I could pretty much do it, even if it took me a couple of 'skateboard steps' to get it.  Now on my Ninebot One E+ with the higher and 'V-angled' foot stands, it seems even harder to me.  But I'm oldish at 55. 

But the main reason that I almost always use assisted mount is that FOOT PLACEMENT is such a crucial factor in how enjoyable my ride is going to be.  Once my feet are in *exactly* the right spot I can have a great time, feel comfortable, and ride usually for miles at a time.  However, if my feet are not in just the right spot, it is worrisome, painful, and sometimes even doesn't feel safe.  

When mounting unassisted, one has all the time in the world to place foot number one in the correct position.  However when doing the little hop, it is often the case that I do not manage to get foot number two in the right spot. 

I assume some of you guys have similar experience with foot placement when mounting au natural?   Are there any tricks to being able to adjust that foot number two placement *during* the ride?  Or is it simply a matter of practicing the drill until one automatically gets it right every time?  

These are the smallish kinds of concerns that I have not seen on the YouTube.  Probably to small a concern for a whole video.  I've never seen it addressed.  Obviously if one can ride on one foot, one can adjust number 2.  Erh, I'm not there yet.   Thanks in advance for your consideration and suggestions. 

Once you are on and going try lifting the heel of one foot. You'll find as you do you will turn towards that side but concentrate on keeping straight by adjusting your weight on the other foot. Once you are going straight with one heel up you will find it easy to adjust the position of that toe backwards or forwards with a slight swiveling action.

As with all things practice it with both feet so you can adjust both side.

A quicker but more difficult alternative is to learn to ride on one foot then you can casually place your free foot exactly where you want it. I find this painful though as it puts a lot of pressure on my varicose veins. :)

I'm still new to my EUC, but I mount without assistance.

I place one foot on it, making sure that my knee is above/overlapping the center of the wheel (iE, right wheel on pedal, lean knee to the left). That way, I can put weight on the wheel and take it off again without moving (this also helps me when stopping somewhere, without having to grab the wheel with my hands). Now I have plenty of time to put up my other foot and place it correctly.

If I still need to move my feet while driving, I either start slowly to put my weight on one foot, then move the other, or i just swivel around, hopping slightly, to get them into position. This will make me drive in a slalom though :)

I use the same technique @manuelz described. Get your dominant foot (usually right foot if you're right-handed) perfectly positioned on the pedal. Then you can shuffle your left foot around once you're moving.

I don't do the "skateboard kick"-start, but just sort of lift my left leg fast on the pedal when the wheel is stationary and then pretty much immediately start slightly leaning forward to get going. So I get my "stronger" (ie. right) foot in correct place before jumping on, then lift my left foot, which might not always land correctly, but I can sort of "nudge" it little-by-little until I get it right, while leaning the wheel more to my right leg/shin (it still causes little wobbles while I do it, so only in slow speed and on straight road with no people/obstacles in front of me). But I can't really ride one-footed yet, probably should start learning that too...

Well there goes my experience concerning "hop on" vs "skate kick".

I did the hop on trick in the beginning, worked fine until I was standing at a pedestrian crossing and both lanes stopped to let me through despite heavy traffic. So I hop on, wobble a bit, lean forward and get caught in the small dip between sidewalk and road. Yup. Faceplant with an audience on the first trip in public, 20 meters from my home. Taught me. Since then I skate it for great justice. :lol:

You could start to train the movement slowly while holding on to a wall or your car (I wouldnt dare on mine though). Or train to control the bot on one leg standing still holding on to the wall, just to get the feeling how the wheel puts pressure on your leg.

I commute for 20 minutes and I shift my position during that time several times to avoid fatigue or position for a upcoming hill. In the beginning when I didnt have too much confidence in my balance, I basically moved my feet into position doing "the Twist" motion, sliding toes closer, then heels but without shifting my much needed balance, rather with muscles, not the best idea but it worked for me in the beginning. Another thing I did while driving was train transferring my weight towards one leg without turning in as far as I could go or dared to do.

Trying to crouch down while driving also helps for getting a feeling for all the skate-on movements involved.

Do you use the strap? I use to hold onto it, now I just attach to belt. Anyways, substitute holding the strap inplace of a fence, it will give you support while getting second foot on. If you attach to belt you can do a controlled jump off the back and it will go forward just enough and 'stop' and most likely spins be can not get away from you, and you don't need to bend over to pick it up or to hold it. The strap can be your friend if you know how to use it....

Oh, if you get the sore foot...try getting on one heel on one foot, and on the toe of the other foot, then switch positions. You still be in control of vehicle without taking feet off pedals...

I commute for 20 minutes and I shift my position during that time several times to avoid fatigue or position for a upcoming hill.

@Jag_Rip : In what position do you place your feet for an upcoming hill relative to 'normal'?  

I am enjoying this discussion very much.  That is what makes forums like this so very useful. 

My hill on my commute is on gravel and its not a flat road at all, hence the "preparation".
On a hill on paved roads I just make sure I dont lean forward, but stay straight up and hold my speed by tiptoe-ing slightly. For my gravel hill just I slide my feet a bit towards the front (millimeters only) and also slide my ankles closer together to squeeze the bot tight so it doesnt do funny things on the loose gravel.  I also bend my knees a teensy little, just so that I dont have my weight on the bones but on the muscles to feather out any bumps or dirtholes.

I like forums, because 20 years from now someone could be in the same situation and can read it up as easy as we do now.

I tried some of what you guys were suggesting about foot adjustments while riding.  Also what @Jag_Rip suggested about avoiding foot fatigue.  Very helpful indeed.  Your explanations are helping me greatly.  I will practice unassisted mount more now that I know how to adjust the feet during the ride.  The shape (what I want to call 'form factor') of the Ninebot One is quite different from the Airwheel X8, so it is almost learning to mount all over again.  All the angles and pressure points are different.  Still I can do it, but need more practice, which hopefully I will now get.  Being able to shift the feet, is very encouraging.  

It's definitely interesting to see how little things can affect your ride. Not only the different models, but even just wearing different shoes can sometimes make me feel a little nervous! Has anyone else felt that?

I have found that it's easier to shift my foot while riding, and adjust to make it more comfortable/secure, if I'm wearing bulkier shoes (like my work shoes or skate shoes). 

After falling a couple times, though, I've been too scared to just lift off and ride, so now I only mount while holding onto something.  Hopefully one of these days I will build up more courage to mount without holding onto something!

It's definitely interesting to see how little things can affect your ride. Not only the different models, but even just wearing different shoes can sometimes make me feel a little nervous

Funny that you wrote this. Just yesterday evening I rode to meet some friends at the pub (of course for nothing else but chamomile tea ?) and I went with my Golf Shoes, which I usually wear in the office. They are spikeless with a rubber sole and fit nice and tight. It was a delight riding with those and I will most probably use them from now on always on my euc. In the past I rode with boat shoes (Sebagos) that was ok, but not as good. Once I tried Crocs on the wheel. Bad idea and not really a surprise, right?

I think that wearing Crocs while you ride is the only way to make an electric unicycle look uncool. :P 

? Actually, there is hardly anything you could do in Crocs and look cool at the same time, right. Maybe it would help if you team up with, lets say Bill Murray or Morgan Freeman?

I always wear hiking/walking shoes with those grippy treads.  Vibram soles, or whatever.  Maybe this is why it is so hard for me to adjust the feet?   I'm having good luck adjusting left and right, but forward and back are still just about impossible.  The Ninebot One E+ has grippy treads, and my shoes have grippy treads.  It is like trying to manipulate a zipper without unzipping it.  

All-in-all time and practice is the key. I recommend to practice 1-leg driving first. Start from the long step (like on kick-scooter) and try to keep body balance standing with 1 leg only on the pedal. When you will get familiar with this (drive up to 10 meters on 1 leg) you will find out that you can adjust foots on pedals while driving easily. Even if you wearing flip-flops.  ;)

I use the skate kick to mount my EU as having some momentum helps a lot to balance at slow speeds.  I can do a standing mount too but find this method to be less fluid. 

Background details... Shoe size I am a UK size 10 (USA 10.5 / EUR 44).  Pedals on my EU are of the split design.

Regarding foot adjustment while on an EU i tend to do small one legged hops to adjust the foot position forward or back.  Do ball and heel twists to move foot closer to EU or away.  I have found that if I have my toes completely protruding from the front of the pedals its usually the best and most comfortable foot position riding long distances.  It also serves two additional purposes riding this way, when the pedals tilt you back you can easily maintain speed and still remain somewhat comfortable as your ankles don't need to stand with a deeper bend in them.  If power cuts for whatever reason you are already in a position which will kick away and back your EU and allow you to run off more easily.

Additional tips for traveling long distances without stopping.  Most of the time your feet hurt because there is lack of blood circulation on the soles of your feet from standing for a long period of time.  What I sometimes do is place the weight on my left foot more on the ball and raise the heel just enough to shift the pressure and with my right foot I put the weight on the heel.  After a minute or so I change putting left foot weight on heel and right on ball.  This allows the blood some time to flow and lessen the pain.

In terms of stopping to cross a road I usually give the environment a quick scan and see if there is a fence or pole I can lean against so I don't need to step off my EU.  So when it is safe to cross I can move off with ease.  If none are available I usually stop 1 meter before the sidewalk ends, doing this gives me room to skate kick and mount before I transition onto the road.  I find this good too especially if there is a little drop between sidewalk and road.

However if you want to be pro you can learn the skill of "Idling" Shown below by Simon Tay:

On long journeys, I avoid fatigue in the legs by standing in between so that, in the second leg seson toes, and on the other heel. And thus, varying with each other. Between crouch down.
Between the ankles to bend outwards .. foot blades will turn the pages, etc.

Archived