Summer can't come soon enough!

Whew it's 15 C, and I finally had a chance to go for a ride on my dusty Ninebot outside.  :w00t2:  I missed riding so much!  Talk about a looooong hibernation!  I thought I would be rusty, but nope it was like hopping back onto a bike.  The wet sidewalks were not nice to sploosh through and some melting ice pack areas got a little squirrely to ride over :unsure:, but I didn't fall.

Hopefully the nice weather will continue here.

19 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Do bunnies count?  My backyard friend is starting to turn brown again so that's a good sign!

dc2cb93fb7.jpg

That bunny looks angry.  I hope you have the hand grenade.  Maybe it would be better to wait until the grass turns green.:whistling:  Turning brown is on the way to turning red:shock2:

Oh man, I've missed riding the wheel something fierce! Started again about two weeks ago. And as you say, it really was just like jumping onto your bike, no rustiness whatsoever. Looking forward to all the after works this summer, it's the perfect mode of transportation in the city. :D

4 minutes ago, thefork said:

Oh man, I've missed riding the wheel something fierce! Started again about two weeks ago. And as you say, it really was just like jumping onto your bike, no rustiness whatsoever. Looking forward to all the after works this summer, it's the perfect mode of transportation in the city. :D

Yeah, it's highly addictive! I've started to commute by 9b1 as soon as I could after winter months.

Summer's coming too soon here: high of 94°F (34°C) today, and maybe hotter tomorrow. I've ridden in hotter temperatures -- up to 117°F (47° C) but I'd like to make a little more gradual adjustment to summertime temperatures. Eeesh!  We're burning up!  :furious:

23 minutes ago, thefork said:

Wow, that's hot! Here in Stockholm we have about 7-8 C right now ?

Good to see you back on the board!  Now if we could only conjure @Cloud @The Fat Unicyclist and a few others out of the woodwork that would be peeerfeect!

For those unsure about my obscure bunny reference here is a scene (warning contains graphic bunny violence):

@dbfrese - just ride with one of those misting bottles and spray a nice cloud of cooling mist in front of you as you ride.  Or devise an automister attached to your wheel to mist ahead and upwards!

17 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Good to see you back on the board!  Now if we could only conjure @Cloud @The Fat Unicyclist and a few others out of the woodwork that would be peeerfeect!

For those unsure about my obscure bunny reference here is a scene (warning contains graphic bunny violence):

@dbfrese - just ride with one of those misting bottles and spray a nice cloud of cooling mist in front of you as you ride.  Or devise an automister attached to your wheel to mist ahead and upwards!

One or the best movies of all time! Thanks @Hunka Hunka Burning Love, I've been hibernating for awhile ?

I've never really watched the actual series (episodes here and there, and I think I know the "most important" sketches like "the ministry of silly walks"), but the Monty Python-movies should be something like mandatory in elementary school culture-related classes :D 

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

just ride with one of those misting bottles and spray a nice cloud of cooling mist in front of you as you ride.

Good idea -- but I need two, one for me and another for the Ninebot! I've never had it overheat, but it does worry me that it might on some hot summer day.  :cry2:

Place a frozen gel cooling pack in a cloth bag next to the control board!  There should be plenty of room.  ;)  Actually I doubt the ambient temperature would get hot enough to create a problem as during regular usage I think the board temps only go up to about 50C if I read the 9Bmetics app log right.  Unless you're doing heavy duty climbing, things should be okay I'm guessing?

4 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Place a frozen gel cooling pack in a cloth bag next to the control board!

Not a bad idea! Maybe I'll try it this summer. Condensation might be an issue, but humidity here is usually very low.

Hi guys !

So you weren't riding this winter ?! I know most of my friends don't ride when the temperature is below 5°C except for very short trips, but I personaly continue riding unless the temperature is below -15°C (for the batteries), just wear heavy clothing and try to shake your body from time to time to heat up a little while riding. I can't spend more than a week without riding on my EUC !

I used my EUC a lot to get to a carpool or just to get out a little, it's not much worse than walking or biking.

EUC are more interesting and joyable when it's summer though, it's true !

I found even in the fall when the temperature was around 5C that the wind chill while riding froze my face and hands.  At minus 15C and all the packed snow/ice around I don't want to risk it.  With bumpy and icy sections with ruts it's a little too challenging for me.   I don't even like driving my car in that sort of weather let alone  buzz around on one wheel.  Guess I'm not that hardcore!  :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I found even in the fall when the temperature was around 5C that the wind chill while riding froze my face and hands.  At minus 15C and all the packed snow/ice around I don't want to risk it.  With bumpy and icy sections with ruts it's a little too challenging for me.   I don't even like driving my car in that sort of weather let alone  buzz around on one wheel.  Guess I'm not that hardcore!  :ph34r:

Totally agree. Windchill when the temperature is near freezing can be quite punishing imo, especially in a coastal area like Stockholm. 

So far I have been riding almost everyday including-19C.  I must admit that this is pretty much my limit as I had to stop to thaw my face which takes some of the fun out of it.  This week I have been commuting 15km each way for a class I am taking in Vancouver. Very very nice for the one time it wasn't raining. The rest of the time I have convinced myself that I need the practice riding in the rain and it is all part of the experience.  We will see by the end of the week if I am able to convince myself:-)

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2017 at 9:46 AM, Pingouin said:

So you weren't riding this winter ?! I know most of my friends don't ride when the temperature is below 5°C except for very short trips, but I personaly continue riding unless the temperature is below -15°C (for the batteries), just wear heavy clothing and try to shake your body from time to time to heat up a little while riding. I can't spend more than a week without riding on my EUC !

In South Carolina USA, I was very fortunate to be able to continue riding 7 days per week throughout the winter. I only lost about 5 days for weather reasons. There were numerous days when the temperature was a challenge. Even with thermal underwear, layers of clothes, gloves, balaclava, I felt frozen by the end of the ride! But I was thankful that I could ride.

On 3/18/2017 at 9:59 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Still there... maybe wants to come inside... has a bit of a blood-thirsty look on its face... 

df255649fa.jpg

Probably mad at you for not giving it as much food as usual.:P  But the rabbit looks well fed and no longer needs the extra rations in the spring.  Rabbits are cool, they make excellent pets, and if I could, it is one of the animals I would like to take care of.  If I had a place large enough, I would have a lot of animals there, I like when people take care of animals.  Kind of like Ace Ventura, animal detective.

Archived