My KS-16S (sport) review

Xelvic

36 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Yes, Inmotion has extremly high pedals...no other wheels have those...KS14D as completly new wheel has got higher pedals...KS16S as a "update" only had become slightly higher pedal angle's to get the pedals a bit higher than before...

What i meant  here is that if someone driving a V8 with just a few Inch between his legs and totally high pedals, and jumps then on a KS16 or ACM, and now has a "Football" between his legs he will for sure have Problems with some pedal scratch, just as he is not used to this totally different vehicle...i for myself did not even had pedal scratch probs on a normal KS16...as used to ride different wheels...

BTW, as evidenced by your arguments and our disagreement, the pedal argument I consider subjective, to a degree, dependent on the rider.

Higher pedals (after experiencing them on my InMotions) was my personal cannot-excuse.

What should really be happening for every EUC is height adjustable, length adjustable pedals. 

I'm curious @KingSong69 if you've ridden any of the InMotions longer than a day? (not intended to be a snotty retort, just actually curious)

Do you mean this seriously? Come on ;-) Sure: Inmotion has a max of 20s2p...2 parallel Systems(20Amp draw max) which can for sure can not push as much power as 6 parallel Systems with 20S6P 60Amp...

From this side Inmotion and GW's 84 Volt are not real comparable,,,

Btw: A russian implemented stronger Batteries on his V8, Samsung 15Amp, guess what happends? Board burned on high power draw:-)

Ha!, just a counterpoint on your 84V argument for purely the sake of 84V ; )  Yes, obviously, Gotway current line sports more power and current draw~ 

Seriously though, are there no machines out there that Gotway can learn from that need to support 60+ Amp current draw in their wiring?

I think even the ACM 84 Volt are to new in the market to say the majority runs well...we will see if there will be some more reports...

And from my view it are way, way to much reports of Shorts, melts, connector Problems of V3(s+) etc...Seams to be rushed in the view of that the calble thickness wasn't really thought about...

Possibly.

(FWIW, I've been scanning this forum, French forums, and Korean forums, and still maintain the Gotway 84V issues seem, as a whole, to be the minority of production, albeit a seemingly large minority *smh. and FWIW, this could also be due to people not reporting, not driving their wheels often or hard enough, etc.)

What's more surprising to me is how much blind faith Gotway riders put into the safety/quality of the brand, and how little they research Gotway's past QC history.

I knew this going into my Monster purchase, and completely accepted this fact, acting accordingly and cautiously.

But not because of the KS16S now, which again, i do not find to be "only faster"....The only thing that has stayed the same to be honest is the outside plastic Shell...that's my viewpoint!

Even if the Shell is old, all aspects of the KS16S -beside Performance- eat each other 16" wheel easy...trolley, lights, BLuetooth Music, Quality etc etc

Dunno, outside looking in, KS16S seems to look almost exactly like the KS16, which is what my argument was about, minor incremental spec updates.

Why i don't like them anymore, is because they seam to concentrate completly on the "regulated" market and not a bit on the Performance market anymore....

For me also disgusting is their Speed management.....To have a wheel perform at his max Speed only from 50-100%batterie is really awful. When you are carrying for your Batterie and just let i fill up to 80-85%...you just have a third of Batterie life on max Speed?! Thats nonsense.....

The Thing is, that KS now with their Performance in some (unregulated) Asian states is as good as out of the game.....and i dont know if sales in european states will hold that Company at living.....and what a Horror it would be if GW really has None! competitor anymore.....

Totally agree here. 

Personally I'm never purchasing a new KingSong unless / until they lift / improve this restriction.

But that's all firmware-based and fixable, if KingSong wants to implement

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

I'm curious @KingSong69 if you've ridden any of the InMotions longer than a day?

Nope, just testrode a V8...

Impressive pedal stiffness! And impressive Price for this wheel! But for me a bit to high Body for 16", to thin wheel, bit to less between legs...but also: just because of the max Watthour a absolute nogo for me....

Just a short comment for V5  /  V8 owners - I have started to ride unicycles using  Ninebot One E+ , and I can say that KS16 has its pedals much higher - after several months my KS16 has only few minor scratches on the pedals. I have heard that KS16S has pedal ends even higher, so it should be quite well protected against scratches. A lot depends on Your personal experience and riding technique. Also AFAIK higher pedals negatively influence stability...

Anyway - I wait for the KS16S review done by the person who knows KS16 well, to omit the "brand to brand" comparison...  

I've ridden my KS16B now nearly 1900 km, and I'm VERY happy with it, especially since the last firmware update allows to ride at full speed between 20% and 100% battery capacity.

I never touched the ground with the pedals, though I confess  I'm usually not driving so fast in curves that I need to lean in so much that the pedal touches the ground.

However, for me it is the best 16er wheel, because for me range is everything. An 18er is to bulky for my purposes, and I didn't find a 16er which is better than the KS16.

I also have no problems with the inner side of my lower legs, maybe because I started with this wheel from beginning, so I'm used to it's width.

As others said, it should not be compared with a 14 inch wheel, better compare with other 16 inch wheels.

I agree that Inmotion has a better App, and the V8 is a quite good wheel - if it would have 2 times the range it currently has, I would have bought one. But so I think I will upgrade to a KS16S in June, because of it's higher speed and it's longer range (I have the 680 WH KS16B variant).

25 minutes ago, HermanTheGerman said:

I've ridden my KS16B now nearly 1900 km, and I'm VERY happy with it, especially since the last firmware update allows to ride at full speed between 20% and 100% battery capacity.

I never touched the ground with the pedals, though I confess  I'm usually not driving so fast in curves that I need to lean in so much that the pedal touches the ground.

However, for me it is the best 16er wheel, because for me range is everything. An 18er is to bulky for my purposes, and I didn't find a 16er which is better than the KS16.

I also have no problems with the inner side of my lower legs, maybe because I started with this wheel from beginning, so I'm used to it's width.

As others said, it should not be compared with a 14 inch wheel, better compare with other 16 inch wheels.

I agree that Inmotion has a better App, and the V8 is a quite good wheel - if it would have 2 times the range it currently has, I would have bought one. But so I think I will upgrade to a KS16S in June, because of it's higher speed and it's longer range (I have the 680 WH KS16B variant).

Agreed. 

Ever since I purchased my KS18B, I haven't ridden my V8; the range just isn't there. 

Im debating about actually selling the V8. 

Allen

As the owner of a V5F+ and KS16B, both purchased from eWheels / @Jason McNeil, I have experienced the pedal scraping woes of the original poster. When I first bought it, I found the KS16 to have almost unacceptably low pedals.

BUT, in all honesty, I almost never ride the V5F+ at this point.

I always ride the KS16, and love it... due to the hugely extended range, and also due to the difference in speed and hill climbing power which is very noticeable. When I buy a new wheel, which of course I will, since i am a wheel addict, pedal height will still be a huge consideration. I am just not willing to give up range, speed and power at this point.

Thank You for the link - really positive opinions!  Anyway - looking forward for the first detailed comparison from the person who owns/rides KS16 on the daily basis and now jumped on the KS16S...

So a little update. After my first ride I attempted to charge the KS-16S. For whatever reason it would not charge. Jason sent me another charger and that one didn't work either. Jason believes KS wired the KS-16S wrong but is still waiting to hear from them. Yesterday my first V8 arrived and I fell in love with it. It's everything I was missing from the KS-16S and is much closer to my V5F+. The width on the top of the V8 is a little bothersome but nothing compared to the KS-16S width. So today I sent the KS-16S back to Jason due to the charging problem. Instead of getting another KS-16S I'm having Jason replace it with another V8 and refund the difference between the two. So now I will have two V8's and one V5F+. Jason has been great and made all this as painless as he could. I would have hated to buy my EUC's off of aliexpress ect and had a problem like this. My opinion is that KS has a quality control problem. Out of the five Jason had to sell I've read where three people on here complained about not having a serial number and now mine with a charging problem. You would think that with the KS-16S being brand new that KS would make sure they were perfect going out. Now they hurt sells because forums like this will post faults with them. Whoever the BOSS is over at KS better get a handle on this quickly.

On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 5:28 PM, HermanTheGerman said:

@HermanTheGerman,  What firmware are you running on your KS16b?  I think I have 1.23 on mine.  And does it "automatically" allow for the full usage of speed or does the app need to be adjusted/set for it? 

On 19/03/2017 at 6:49 AM, houseofjob said:

KS-16S appears to still run @ 67.2V, as opposed to 84V wheels like the InMotion V5, V8; Gotway Monster, MSuperV3S+, ACM 1300WH; Rockwheel GT16.

sure, but there is really nothing wrong with 67.2V either. The difference between 67 and 84V is, AFAICS, from a technological perspective really not a decisive one.

Just now, Mono said:

sure, but there is really nothing wrong with 67.2V either. The difference between 67 and 84V is, AFAICS, from a technological perspective really not a decisive one.

Never said this.  I was just stating my requirements to part with my money for a current EUC.

And I'm not the right person to answer the tech aspects, but I believe there is more power potential with 84V, something about efficiency mentioned.

All I know is, in practice, there seems to be less incidence of current dip, underpoowering, overleans, etc. But then, on the flip side, if power draws are not handled correctly, you get the recent string of Gotway incidents.

At the very least, I can't imagine not at least trying to innovate is good for EUC in general.

On 20/03/2017 at 1:15 PM, houseofjob said:

"Just V5F owner" or not, pedal scrape is pedal scrape, no matter what your proficiency level or owning history.

Right, pedal ground clearance is comparatively simple to measure and compare between wheels. My main concern with limited ground clearance is really a safety one. I really don't want the pedal to catch an obstacle on the ground at any speed and ground clearance helps a lot to prevent this. For this reason alone I wouldn't anymore buy a wheel with less than 13cm pedal ground clearance.

22 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

At the very least, I can't imagine not at least trying to innovate is good for EUC in general.

Agreed, but one also has to chose the battles to fight, there is only so much time to fight them. Moving from 67V to 84V isn't likely to be an innovation that solves any relevant problem which couldn't have been solved otherwise. I am even a little suspicious that some manufacturers have done it for no other reason than to get the 84V label. 

7 minutes ago, Mono said:

Agreed, but one also has to chose the battles to fight, there is only so much time to fight them. Moving from 67V to 84V isn't likely to be an innovation that solves any relevant problem which couldn't have been solved otherwise. I am even a little suspicious that some manufacturers have done it for no other reason than to get the 84V label. 

We'll agree to disagree then ;)

It's naturally a company's inclination to keep making profit on the same design and take no risks (unfortunately, Gotway has doubled their risk with higher power + 84V).

Personally don't think it's just a marketing tag line.

On 27/03/2017 at 11:34 PM, houseofjob said:

Personally don't think it's just a marketing tag line.

It makes matters somehow even worse if the decision makers truly believe that changing from 67 to 84V is a real innovation. Though I can see a situation where it would actually make sense. Namely, it might be a comparatively simple way to get more power without changing motor.

On 24.3.2017 at 0:56 PM, Coffee guy said:

@HermanTheGerman,  What firmware are you running on your KS16b?  I think I have 1.23 on mine.  And does it "automatically" allow for the full usage of speed or does the app need to be adjusted/set for it? 

You need 1.25 for that improvement. No need to change anything with the app, the higher speed is automatically allowed between approx. 20% and 100% batterycapacity with the new firmware.

I described some measurements here:

I picked up a KS16S from Jason las week. It's been great so far. It's my first wheel and I'm really digging it. I'm waiting on the replacement charger to arrive because the new 4 amp was incorrectly wired from the factory and unable to provide a charge.  With that being said, I was able to ride for about a week for quite a while practicing and getting the hang of an EUC as a new rider.  I didn't even realize the charger wasn't working each day as I plugged it in until I was alerted from the audible low battery warning and that had me questioning the procedure. 

So far I'm very impressed overall, even with the initial hiccup.  This forum has been great and I'm also glad I purchased from Jason @ eWheels.  

Current battery status is at 56.8V while I await a new charger.

1 hour ago, KINGKONGSONG said:

I picked up a KS16S from Jason las week. It's been great so far. It's my first wheel and I'm really digging it. I'm waiting on the replacement charger to arrive because the new 4 amp was incorrectly wired from the factory and unable to provide a charge.  With that being said, I was able to ride for about a week for quite a while practicing and getting the hang of an EUC as a new rider.  I didn't even realize the charger wasn't working each day as I plugged it in until I was alerted from the audible low battery warning and that had me questioning the procedure. 

So far I'm very impressed overall, even with the initial hiccup.  This forum has been great and I'm also glad I purchased from Jason @ eWheels.  

Current battery status is at 56.8V while I await a new charger.

When it is/was a charger with digital LED...i would say this was even not the fault from KS...as these 4 amp chargers are not provided by KS....i guess they are a goody from Jason? (no offense meant)

Two weeks ago KS even released a statement, that only there standard 2 Amps chargers are allowed, and that all higher chargers will void the warranty in case of failure....see here on their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Kingsongsports/posts/?ref=page_internal

Thank you for pointing me to the announcement. Good thing the charger never worked! I didn't get a regular 2A charger with the EUC so I bought a 67.2 2A on eBay yesterday. I believe Jason also is sending me a new charger and I will return this 4A -2A-1A adjustable led charger back to him.  

IMG_2615.JPG

2 hours ago, KINGKONGSONG said:

Thank you for pointing me to the announcement. Good thing the charger never worked! I didn't get a regular 2A charger with the EUC so I bought a 67.2 2A on eBay yesterday. I believe Jason also is sending me a new charger and I will return this 4A -2A-1A adjustable led charger back to him.  

IMG_2615.JPG

Just my opinion on this "announcement"....

I dont know whats behind it...but all my bigger as 680wh wheels i Charge with 4 Amp....and even higher Amps would be still called a "slow" Charge for the batteries...

So you could use the 4 Amp charger without Problems!!! Even IF EVER something will happen to the wheel/Batterie...nobody will ever know which charger was used!

So this announcement is Kind of useless......

3 hours ago, KINGKONGSONG said:

This is the one I bought. Hopefully it's the correct one

IMG_2948.PNG

That ending plug doesn't look correct. You need it to be GX16-3 for the KS-16S, but the picture looks awfully like GX12 (16 and 12 are the diameters in mm I believe)

Archived