Gotway mcm v3

Davedood

Gotway mcm v3 is really an amazing wheel. I have 4 gotways, a ninebot one e and an airwheel. Started with the ol' airwheel 2+ years ago. What an amazing wheel the gotway mcm v3 is. Reliability, speed, agile and a great price. I have a Gotway acm and it's preferred, just wanted to say how much I appreciate the Gotway mcm v3 for all it is. >=)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davedood said:

Gotway mcm v3 is really an amazing wheel. I have 4 gotways, a ninebot one e and an airwheel. Started with the ol' airwheel 2+ years ago. What an amazing wheel the gotway mcm v3 is. Reliability, speed, agile and a great price. I have a Gotway acm and it's preferred, just wanted to say how much I appreciate the Gotway mcm v3 for all it is. >=)

I have a lot of respect for Gotway. A few hiccups here and there with connectors and what not but overall they are easily one of the top 3 brands. More of an enthusiast brand in my opinion rather than entry level (Except for maybe the MCM4). I am still waiting for someone to really find the limits of the Monster (I am too scared to be that person!)

i honestly dont think the mcm4 would totally pass as an entry level wheel.  from what ive been told by linea lin. the mcm4 is faster than the mcm3, theyre almost the same machines with the mcm4 having a slighter edge with being more recent and attractive. my mcm4hs 340wh does 35km/h gps,

About the whole "entry level"-wheel thing; While it may be tempting, getting a high speed wheel as the first one may not always be the best option. Up to a point, the extra power is good in practice too, ie. you won't overlean it accidentally that easily, but on the other hand, you can get pretty seriously hurt if you fall at high speed... Just my 2 cents.

This thread actually reminded me of the stupidest case I remember (sorry, Shady Tools):

• Upvote 3

I love my MCM4 as my first wheel. GOTWAY should have a 100km training benchmark that will only release the higher speeds ones you have driven that much. It's just a software change. That way you can sell a wheel that the owner won't outgrow. 

That was my logic. I thought I am mature enough to keep it tame while I mastered the skills. 

This toy is too pricy to upgrade after 3 months. 

• 5 months later...

I bought an MCM V3 as an upgrade to my Airwheel X8. I wanted a small wheel for urban riding (Berlin) and combination with subways. So far the MCM works great. Love the torque and speed at that level of compactness. I think currently no other wheel comes close.

Only the battery box is a tad lower than on the Airwhell X8 and it conflicts with my ankles. I is ok with DIY side paddings, but than the stance becomes wider, and my feet (US size 12) are protuding over the pedals. Probably there's no other solution than to cut some material off the casing.

On 25/08/2017 at 0:28 AM, caelus said:

I think currently no other wheel comes close.

I definitely prefer my InMotion V8 over my MCM2s for urban transportation. The obvious advantages are more power (EDIT: compared to the MCM2s), light, pedal size (for pedal length the MCM3 should be comparable to the V8), wheel size, pedal height. The non-obvious advantage is that it is slimmer and more stable when leaning against a seat or wall (it can even stand on its own). That is, even though it is overall larger, I find it more practical to handle in the bus, train etc. The main disadvantage: 13.5kg vs 11kg, so it has 2.5kg overweight.

Edited by Mono
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Mono said:

I definitely prefer my InMotion V8 over my MCM2s for urban transportation. The obvious advantages are more power, light, pedal size (for pedal length the MCM3 should be comparable to the V8), wheel size, pedal height. 

In the 16" class there are some wheels with more power, ok. But I appreciate the compactness of the MCM.
Hoever, does the V8 really have more power? Did you compare both? The MCM V3 seems to be plenty powerfull!
Pedals are just fine with the MCM V3 (it has the bigger pedals)
Finally, I see built in light as disadvantage, as it is just too weak anyway. Better just add your own light.
However, it has a severe design flaw, that is lack of ankle clearance. I think I have to cut some material away of the housing. 

Edited by caelus
  • Like 1

Thanks @kasenutty!
So my impressions after 100km:

It is very agile (compared to the 16" Airwheel) but also twitchy. Took me some time to trust in this little powerhouse. But you get used to the power and speed quickly. I switched off first and second alarm and get 80% power beeps at around 28km/h (I am 95kg). At first it felt incredibly fast but now I would love to go even faster. This can be adictive.
This Gotway MCM V3 is increadibly useful as a transportation device. Super compact and easy in the subway or in a car. Also, you can easily strap it on your backpack, e.g. for shopping, no problem. And then you jump on and ride away, fantastic.

I think at my weight the small battery seems to limit the power. From the specs (260Wh) I would guess they are using Sanyo ICR18650-22PM with 16s2p configuration. So 20A max. The board and the motor are speced to be able going 50A. So upgrading the battery could give me not only more reach but also more torque, right? 

As far as I know there are two boards, horizontal and vertical. Unfortunately the vertical cannot be mounted horizontally, so I am stuck with one side for the battery. There, 420Wh is max (16S2P with Sanyo NCR18650 GA). Or would it be better to go with Sanyo UR18650NSX, wich can go twice the Amps (20A per cell)?

Anybody did a battery upgrade on the MCM V3 and can give some advice? 

Edited by caelus
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

BTW, I did a nice weekend trip to a lake nearby Berlin, approx 15km one way. And ended up on this forrest route (see pic attached). It was borderline rideable for the 14" Gotway. But fun anyway. 
Maybe an upgrade to 2,5" wide tires could help for better offroad abilities. Anyone tried that?

20170827_122701.jpg

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, caelus said:

Finally, I see built in light as disadvantage, as it is just too weak anyway.

LOL, I don't follow. True, allegedly the brightest EUC light is still weak in the world of cycling, but I can always choose to not turn it on (which makes it even weaker) and/or add another light. So at worst, it would be superfluous rather than a disadvantage, which it isn't at all in my experience, in particular in an urban environment. I use it all the time during night. I even find the side LEDs useful to enhance visibility, but again, I turn them off when I don't need visibility. They add in comparison only little weight.

On 30.8.2017 at 11:09 PM, caelus said:

420Wh is max (16S2P with Sanyo NCR18650 GA). Or would it be better to go with Sanyo UR18650NSX, wich can go twice the Amps (20A per cell)?

Anyone could help on this question? As the battery on my old Airwheel X8 died, I nee a replacement battery anyway. Considering to swap the 260Wh pack to the Airwheel, and put something with more capacity into the MCM. So far packs with the Sanyo UR18650NSX seem to be favorable for their higher 20A drain.

Edited by caelus

I opened the side cover. The battery cells are diagonally jointed. Plus a very thin balancer board. The overall thickness is 3.9mm and a tight fit, see pic.
So all the packs where cells are not diagonally jointed might be too thick.

I have read that cells are from Sony. Anybody knows that more precisely? Probably Sony Konion US18650 VTC4 - 2100mAh? 
Could not identify the cells and there was also no inscription on the pack. Sony Konions would have 30A current.  

20170907_170920.jpg

20170907_171238.jpg

20170907_170905.jpg

Edited by caelus
  • Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

What is the best way to learn to ride the mcm3 for an older person? I am 64 & struggling somewhat.  

I am the only person in my city to have an EUC. And I get no support from family- they all just think I’m crazy. 😕  

Castaway1955@gmail.com

On 10/25/2019 at 12:41 AM, David A. said:

What is the best way to learn to ride the mcm3 for an older person? I am 64 & struggling somewhat.  

I am the only person in my city to have an EUC. And I get no support from family- they all just think I’m crazy. 😕  

Castaway1955@gmail.com

Most people in this forum are not 25 anymore:

For many people learning to ride an EUC is not that easy, irrespectively of age. So this is the go-to thread regarding learning:

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/1707-how-to-ride-an-electric-unicycle-understanding-the-dynamics

Two other threads related to age:

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/9549-age-thread/
https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/10795-age/

• 4 months later...

I have a GW MCM3 14", & am struggling to learn how to ride it. It gives me the feeling that I am falling backwards. I jump off not wanting to fall backwards, thus having gone only about 10 feet. I've tried repositioning my feet, but I get the same result. Any suggestions on what I can do?  David A.   3/1/2020

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David A. said:

I have a GW MCM3 14", & am struggling to learn how to ride it. It gives me the feeling that I am falling backwards. I jump off not wanting to fall backwards, thus having gone only about 10 feet. I've tried repositioning my feet, but I get the same result. Any suggestions on what I can do?  David A.   3/1/2020

Maybe the wheel needs re-calibrating. It could be postural as well. Open a new thread in the "Learning to ride" section so we don't derail this one :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, David A. said:

Too bad you don’t live closer. Is there anybody located near you that could assist in your training? 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Too bad you don’t live closer. Is there anybody located near you that could assist in your training? 

I wonder how close @Mark Lee is, being that he's a fellow Utah rider

• Like 1