Does anyone has a recommendation for wrist guards?

Planetpapi

Are there certain types that protect more surface area than others?

Drug store therapist wrist braces seems to cover more area but do they protect the hard fall? Or should we use products designed for a specific sport, like snow boarding etc?

Some of the wrist guards have splints in them. Is that a better choice?  Interested to know what are you all wearing for wrists? Links to products would be awesome. 

Yeah, the splints are totally necessary - it is only those that prevent your hand bending back or forward on itself. But the Halfords basic BMX armour (anvil brand) is totally fine, and ridiculously cheap, being under £8 (when I last looked) for knee pads, splinted wrist guards (which I have tested in crashes, and totally work!) and elbow pads.

CBR

I use Hillbilly full gloves with built in wrist guards and palm protectors.  Got them from Amazon, the only complaint I have is the velcro straps are not quite long enough to attach more than an inch, (but my hands are larger than average), and I had to get the stitching doubled up at the tailor shop (only on the velcro straps)  because the thread started unraveling.  Fell once with them on and they did a good job, the plastic palm protector got scratched pretty badly but my hands and wrists were fine.  Can't remember the price, around 40-60 bucks

I hit a patch of sand on the sidewalk at about 8mph, the wheel slowed down very fast and threw me off forward.  The sand was almost 2 inches deep.  The wheel bogged down.. 

I just realized why they named them Hillbilly.  They are made from goat leather.  

6 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I wonder what gloves/wrist braces @Merrittous MonoWheel uses.  I saw them in his video, and they looked pretty heavy duty.

Hello @Hunka Hunka Burning Love  I use a brand called Hillbilly (how could I resist coming from Merritt:-) bought from amazon.  They fit well and seem to work.  I have a pair with full fingers and one with half fingers.  If it is really cold out (-10 to -20C) I will wear the half-fingers under a pair of oversized mitts.  From -10C to 10C I will were just the full fingered glove.  I haven't ridden in any warmer temperatures yet so I am hoping the half-fingers alone will be good for those times.

Thanks!  Found some at Overstock for the US crowd if someone is looking.  Ebay has them too.

https://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/MBS-Medium-Full-finger-Black-Hillbilly-Wrist-Guard-Gloves/5663720/product.html

I've just got BMX style summer riding gloves with no wrist support.  They are made of mesh, and they stay nice and cool in the summer.

Make sure you get wrist guards with two splints - front and back. Some snowboarding wrist guards only have splints on the palm side. The kind of more serious injury you're most likely to suffer from a front fall is a wrist hyperextension. Single splint guards, or just gloves with no splint, will not save you from a hyperextension. Also, you may want to get a set that have either the metal/plastic on the palm side exposed, or that have a skid plate, so that when you fall your hands will slide a little bit and not catch, increasing the stress on your forearms (of course, that makes you need elbow pads more).

I have Demon Flexmeter Double Sided D3O wrist guards, and like them a lot. They could be a bit easier to put on / take off, but they are very protective. I've taken several hard falls wearing them, and am none the worse for it.

6 hours ago, Shemp said:

I have Demon Flexmeter Double Sided D3O wrist guards, and like them a lot. They could be a bit easier to put on / take off, but they are very protective. I've taken several hard falls wearing them, and am none the worse for it.

I use these too, a tad expensive (around 70€ with shipping), but well worth it:  http://gearcheck.fi/en/wrist-guards/155-flexmeter-wrist-guard-double-sided.html   Probably there are cheaper options abroad...

They're very sturdy, downside is limiting your wrist motion (but that's kind of the point of double-splints, so your wrists won't bend too much/break), but otherwise comfortable (although not if you over-tighten the straps, I've noticed :D). In colder weather, I can fit thin woollen gloves under them. Not that easy to get off in a hurry (you have to undo a couple of velcros and pull the guard off your hand with other hand) and if you keep the palm-protectors (which are removable/replaceable) on, handling/grasping some items can be difficult, but I don't mind. There are a few (3?) differents sizes, check your hand "dimensions" in case you decide to get these:  http://demonsnow.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=337

flexmeter3.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Today I visit a store which had a lot of different kind of wrist guards and I was hurry so I bought these 4 cheap ones.  At home I had time to try those and I think those (above) K2 and Skate Attack seems to be good for me. I already had 2 pairs of wrist guards like Bauer and Rollerblade( not in this photo).

Skate Attack has very long protection on both sides of wrist so I think it is that I gonna use.

So I have a lot of wrist guards to give somebody..

20170325_215235.jpg

I picked up a pair of Hillbilly full glove wrist guards like @steve454 and @Merrittous MonoWheel have and tested them out today with an unexpected, slow speed fall.  They work great!  The plastic palm protector has a bend to it with some clearance from the palm to absorb falls I believe.  The straps are a little short, but they work.

Most of the snow here has melted, but I encountered a small ice glacier pack under a dark road tunnel that wasn't melted yet.  There was a winding water ice rut I tried to traverse, but the Ninebot lost traction and sure enough it started tilting forwards dumping me off :cry2:.  This was the first major fall I've ever had on my wheel over 700 kms of riding.

Luckily I was only creeping forwards slowly, but there was no way to recover in time to walk it off.  I landed on the wrist guards and slightly on my left arm which had an elbow pad in the jacket, and the keys in my pocket got hit ripping a small hole in my pants and scraping my leg a little.  Note to self and others - do not ride with keys or phones in your pants pockets!

So listen to my cautionary tale to be careful out there, use protective gear, and avoid frozen ice glaciers unless you have spiked snow tires!  

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love. Tomorrow I will do my first drive this year. I have drove at my office car parking hall over the winter. Tomorrow we have world championship enduro motobikes coming to finish their race here in Helsinki, and I am going to go there by EUC. All the drivers out of scandinavia can not handle drive their motorbikes in our conditions, ice and snow?. I think I can drive in very dry streets without ice and snow, they say we can have  PLUS 10C.???

And I will use my new wrist protection and helmet (maybe elbow...knee...)

Have a nice ride!  Just watch out for some of those melting ice patches.  I could barely walk off the ice sheet carrying my wheel back onto dry ground it was that slippery.  I think maybe if it was dry frozen ice there would be more traction, but once that surface starts melting it gets a little dicey! :wacko:

I think I would have been okay if I didn't land on my keys...

6ed141c9ad.jpg

13 minutes ago, Pasi said:

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love , my son had bad luck when he felt down in January (not euc). Now he is getting better and maybe still use this summer EUC  ??

IMG-20170207-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20170223-WA0001.jpg

Ouch!  Did he break his arm slipping on ice?  At least they used staples instead of sewing with thread.  I had staples once when I cut an L shaped flap of skin on the back of my elbow and it healed up nicely with very little scar.

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I picked up a pair of Hillbilly full glove wrist guards like @steve454 and @Merrittous MonoWheel have and tested them out today with an unexpected, slow speed fall.  They work great!  The plastic palm protector has a bend to it with some clearance from the palm to absorb falls I believe.  The straps are a little short, but they work.

Most of the snow here has melted, but I encountered a small ice glacier pack under a dark road tunnel that wasn't melted yet.  There was a winding water ice rut I tried to traverse, but the Ninebot lost traction and sure enough it started tilting forwards dumping me off :cry2:.  This was the first major fall I've ever had on my wheel over 700 kms of riding.

Luckily I was only creeping forwards slowly, but there was no way to recover in time to walk it off.  I landed on the wrist guards and slightly on my left arm which had an elbow pad in the jacket, and the keys in my pocket got hit ripping a small hole in my pants and scraping my leg a little.  Note to self and others - do not ride with keys or phones in your pants pockets!

So listen to my cautionary tale to be careful out there, use protective gear, and avoid frozen ice glaciers unless you have spiked snow tires!  

I'm glad the hillbillys worked. Looks like we are all falling down today.  I tumbled 3 times twice on video and once narrowly dodging a tumbling Monster.  I agree they are a little short strapped but work well none the less

On 3/14/2017 at 11:51 PM, Shemp said:

Make sure you get wrist guards with two splints - front and back. ...  Also, you may want to get a set that have either the metal/plastic on the palm side exposed, or that have a skid plate, so that when you fall your hands will slide a little bit and not catch, increasing the stress on your forearms (of course, that makes you need elbow pads more)

I bought a set at Dick's Sporting Goods that included wrist guards as described above by @Shemp.  About $35 for the kit including knees, elbows, and wrists.  They saved me last weekend in a fall on dirt with cactus spines.  You can see the damage to the guards in this post.  Looking at the pics, I'm glad it wasn't my actual palms that took the hit.  Cheap insurance.

Triple 8 Hired Hands. Absolutely the best and I've been through a few. If you order a pair go a coupla sizes up from what you think you need as their sizes are a bit weird. I have Trump hands and the Large fit me pretty well.

AVOID medical/orthopaedic/physio type wrist supports. Those are NOT protection, but are for healing/aiding wrist injuries that have already happened.

You need ones with a proper splint and impact shock absorber like the Triple 8's. They are also gloves so keep your hands nice and warm, not that you may need that with spring/summer round the corner. Can get 'em on Amazon.

750x750.fit.3btrpghire10000.jpg

I don't think you need to spend much for protection.  I purchased a cheap set from eBay something like this (but without the Spiderman branding) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skateboard-Skating-Elbow-Pads-Knee-Wrister-Spiderman-Protective-Gear-3-8-Kids-/121622932943?hash=item1c514aadcf:g:FB0AAOSwqu9VLWjy with wrist guards that are as good as anything I could buy elsewhere.   The metal guard on the wrists is pretty thick, and you are not going to break any of the small bones wearing this.   That said, I don't use wrist guards, rather I have light motorcycle gloves and a motorcycle jacket.  As long as you don't try to catch yourself with a hand when you fall, this is sufficient.   It's more important to practice falling IMO.....see my post at 

I pretty sure I posted what I have, one 'sport' model, the only one available at near by stores and wouldn't recommend it, but I have one from a broken wrist which the hospital supplied works/supports and feels way better...

Archived