V8 battery upgrade!!!

iMaster

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2017 at 2:25 AM, iMaster said:

What a great idea upgrade V8 battery from 480 to 780wh with Panasonic 3500mah

Awesome! I'm constantly lobbying for a 60 cells version of the V8. Was he able to fit he pack inside the structure without extensive borings/modifications?   

2 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Awesome! I'm constantly lobbying for a 60 cells version of the V8. Was he able to fit he pack inside the structure without extensive borings/modifications?   

A v8+ would be awesome! Based on the battery weight, it would be around 14.8kg. 

I was so disappointed that the ks16s was advertised to be15.5kg, but turned out to be really 17.3kg according to several buyers. 

I wonder what the effect would be on ride feeling and center of gravity though, given that the battery is on top. 

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty sure InMotion would have done it if it didn't compromise the existing feel of the wheel. After all, the magic is all with the lightness, thinness and high pedals. Who knows what happens if you add weight on top ? I'm sure they tested it, and found out it sucked.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LuckySXM said:

I'm pretty sure InMotion would have done it if it didn't compromise the existing feel of the wheel. After all, the magic is all with the lightness, thinness and high pedals. Who knows what happens if you add weight on top ? I'm sure they tested it, and found out it sucked.

Agree.  Additionally, for colder climates, I'd like to see a battery heater, which would extend range without any extra batteries.  I've got the parts to build one now and will report (though perhaps not until after summer is over).

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, LuckySXM said:

Not so sure about this statement, I think inmotion has always been conservative in motor power and battery size compared to the likes of kingsong and gotway.

They have been trailing behind and probably waited to see if some demand would materialize before going ahead with upgrades. 

Time will tell as usual, but I think the biggest challenge is that PLEV standard battery redundancy requirement probably means the number of battery packs would better be even.... 

7 hours ago, em1barns said:

Not so sure about this statement, I think inmotion has always been conservative in motor power and battery size compared to the likes of kingsong and gotway.

They have been trailing behind and probably waited to see if some demand would materialize before going ahead with upgrades. 

Time will tell as usual, but I think the biggest challenge is that PLEV standard battery redundancy requirement probably means the number of battery packs would better be even.... 

PLEV redundancy, my wet dream ?

Full size Segways have it already ? I think I read that somewhere...

1 hour ago, LuckySXM said:

PLEV redundancy, my wet dream ?

Full size Segways have it already ? I think I read that somewhere...

Yes....full size Segway are redundancy wise safe!

would be great if we see that for an EUC, while i personally think this is not really possible...at least not like it is done on a  

Segway.......

• Upvote 1

On 13.03.2017 at 9:25 AM, iMaster said:

What a great idea upgrade V8 battery from 480 to 780wh with Panasonic 3500mah

Not economically feasible to change everything at 3.5 Ah
60 cells 3.5Ah will cost ~240 Euro per 780Wh, but if you use cells from stock battery, it will be 80 euros for 740Wh 
Of course each for himself must decide whether invest to additional 40Wh :)

21 hours ago, LuckySXM said:

The difference in weight is less Then 1kg. for wheel the point of application of force is always at the site of attachment of the pedals. Extra weight on/in the casing is affected depending on the lever. With the same success it was possible to take in hand a bottle of water or two bottles :D

The manufacture of such batteries in repetitive manufacturing is not high-tech, time-consuming and long, and therefore expensive.

19 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

Agree.  Additionally, for colder climates, I'd like to see a battery heater, which would extend range without any extra batteries.  I've got the parts to build one now and will report (though perhaps not until after summer is over).

And then help you custom battery. You can use Samsung 30Q, 25R, LG HE2,HE4,HG2. These are the elements that perform well in cold conditions.

Well, the easiest thing to wrap in insulating material.;)

If you use less capacious, but more powerful cells, we formally lose capacity, and in fact the loss is not large, due to the fact that high current cells experience less stress. At the same time, such high battery adds power to the wheel

V8-compare.gif

4 hours ago, LEE4ER said:

And then help you custom battery. You can use Samsung 30Q, 25R, LG HE2,HE4,HG2. These are the elements that perform well in cold conditions.

Well, the easiest thing to wrap in insulating material.;)

Insulating material was part of the plan as well.  I was planning on mounting the battery and control on the top of the V8 and allowing this to plug into the heaters via a 3-prog charge plug.  I was going to use a 12v LiPo battery, controller and thermostat, and 6 small heating pads (all pictured)

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 8.42.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 8.43.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 8.43.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 8.44.06 AM.png

4 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

Insulating material was part of the plan as well.  I was planning on mounting the battery and control on the top of the V8 and allowing this to plug into the heaters via a 3-prog charge plug.  I was going to use a 12v LiPo battery, controller and thermostat, and 6 small heating pads (all pictured)

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 8.42.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 8.43.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 8.43.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 8.44.06 AM.png

Be careful with those Turnigy batteries.  They have a bad reputation in the R/C hobby world; cheap cost and that's what you get out of them.

Allen

1 hour ago, abinder3 said:

Be careful with those Turnigy batteries.  They have a bad reputation in the R/C hobby world; cheap cost and that's what you get out of them.   Allen

I can't imagine that they could do much damage with a little heater.  My goal was to isolate the heating from anything else in the V8; if the Turnigy battery fails, the pads just own't heat.  I have a bunch of these around and they are great for Arduino projects, etc. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Chris Westland said:

I can't imagine that they could do much damage with a little heater.  My goal was to isolate the heating from anything else in the V8; if the Turnigy battery fails, the pads just own't heat.  I have a bunch of these around and they are great for Arduino projects, etc. 

Some people were having problems with them 'puffing' up, which could be a precursor to a lipo fire.

Allen

10 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

As shown by experiments, the greatest effect for warming battery it provides insulation but heating is useful for cases when the wheel just standing in the cold, not you move on it.
During normal driving the average consumption in the region of 300-450W (~10W per cell). Frozen to -18 degrees Celsius cells MH1, with a load of 10W, warm up to +5 - +10 degree fast enough. It remains only to save this warm.

But if will be heated to +20 degrees or slightly higher, it's certainly not bad. Although the summer is coming soon B)

Edited by LEE4ER

6 hours ago, abinder3 said:

Some people were having problems with them 'puffing' up, which could be a precursor to a lipo fire.  Allen

I can vouch for them ...it's not unusual for them to puff up, but I just figured this was normal for these types of batteries when running say quadcopter motors.  But the current draw for this heater would be minuscule.  I've never had one catch on fire, or even smoke.  They are cheap and convenient.  

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...