MSuper V3S+ Wiring

Noillek

Hi,

I just ordered a gotway MSuper V3S 1300Wh, still waiting to receive it, but is freaking me out the number of reports of cut offs due to bad wiring soldering.

Shall we start to report the weak points and the fixes?

I intend to reach to 50Km/h but only after I made sure that will not cut off.

9 minutes ago, Rudy Sijnke said:

Doe the ACM 1600 has got the same issues btw? 

yip! All Msuper V3 Version, all ACM's.... Monsters of "first batch".....

42 minutes ago, Rudy Sijnke said:

That's nooooooo good... I hope Gotway is quickly gonna solve this. Too dangerous!

Yeah....they have been really "quick"!

First reports where from Beginn of december....Now in March, they released there first post that they now do the connection crimped....

6 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Yeah....they have been really "quick"!

First reports where from Beginn of december....Now in March, they released there first post that they now do the connection crimped....

You so funny :D

Frankly, it probably won't be until 2018 before I trust that any Gotway wheel has been constructed properly with regards to these cables. There's a strong likelihood that I'm going to upgrade my MSuper V3 to the V3s+. Maybe in the summer. When I get that wheel I'll be opening it first thing regardless of the build date.

It takes a long time to rebuild trust.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2017 at 7:34 AM, Marty Backe said:

You so funny :D

Frankly, it probably won't be until 2018 before I trust that any Gotway wheel has been constructed properly with regards to these cables. There's a strong likelihood that I'm going to upgrade my MSuper V3 to the V3s+. Maybe in the summer. When I get that wheel I'll be opening it first thing regardless of the build date.

It takes a long time to rebuild trust.

I'm with you Marty, i will open and check and fix all connection points possible to increase reliability. I intent to use the wheel as designed to reach 45/50 km/h safely.

Shall the users of this community collaborate on creating an how to do a full reliability check and map common issues and fixes? I believe that there's already allot of segmented information that just needs to be consolidated.

Gotway has amazing product line but unfortunately their quality control is not reliable.

1 hour ago, Noillek said:

I intent to use the wheel as designed to reach 45/50 km/h safely.

Don't do that (except for testing and maybe very rare short bursts).

Don't trust the manufacturer promises (just like the unrealistic battery ranges). It certainly wasn't designed for that. More realistic limits are the wheel speed warnings, which are there for good purpose. I don't know about msuperV3, but my ACM is 30 km/h first and 35 km/h (or so) second warning. Don't go faster than the second warning. It's a good estimate of when you should not go faster.

I can see you going 45 km/h to 50 in relative safety if you're 60kg, but not if you're heavier. Otherwise, I'd be really worried going above 40.

Also keep in mind, even if you have full motorcycle armor and there's no problem with the wheel (like a cut out), at 45+ any crash for any other reason will f**k you up badly.

• 4 weeks later...

I just crashed yesterday on my new msuper v3 820wh going 48km/h - no helmet, no gloves, no protection. My phone broke, my jacket broke,pants, my right knee has a pretty huge and painful wound, i also have to find somewhere to order a new rubberized shell as my current one is pretty ugly as a result of the fall. But hey luckily my face is still intact.. 

I was using the wheellog app (looking at the wattage output) trying to test the limits of this thing under low wind conditions but it must have been inaccurate as i within 1-2 seconds experienced what i can only describe as the opposite of pedal tiltback - so the pedals would start leaning forwards, making the unicycle disappear under me.

I weigh 76-77kg 

I now realize i too am mortal and will respect the 80% alarm. Only "safe" speeds with a gotway msuper v3 is the speeds below the 80% alarm and even those can kill you if you fall in the wrong way or place.

edit: this actually makes me a lot more interested in better motors on unicycles as this crash could have been avoided had the motors been able to output more wattage. The higher the wattage the higher speeds you can go before hitting that 80% warning

You are lucky to be alive and typing.  :shock2:    You hit the zero torque limit where the wheel cannot go any faster to keep you balanced.  So it tips over.  At 48 kph.  With no protection on.  :rolleyes:  Got any video?  :w00t2:  Thanks for demonstrating that motor limit, but it's been done several times before.  We all know what happens by now.

I'm glad that you are still alive, and I guess what doesn't kill you hopefully makes you stronger.  Hopefully it makes you smarter too?  :smartass:  I don't know what's the big deal about trying to be cool and not use protective wear.  The pros use it.  Look at @EUC Extreme. You don't see the guy riding around naked and donating skin to the pavement although I do hear that riding backwards naked is quite thrilling...  I'd say why not be like the pros and suit up?  You look a lot smarter falling with protective gear on than without plus you might hurt yourself less.  I guess it's sort of like those people who ride motorcycles with T-shirts, shorts and flipflops on  It takes a bad fall to remind them that they canna deny the laws of physics.

1 minute ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

You are lucky to be alive and typing.  :shock2:    You hit the zero torque limit where the wheel cannot go any faster to keep you balanced.  So it tips over.  At 48 kph.  With no protection.  :rolleyes:  Got any video?  :w00t2:

I'm glad that you are still alive, and I guess what doesn't kill you hopefully makes you stronger.  Hopefully it makes you smarter too?  :smartass:  I don't know what's the big deal about trying to be cool and not use protective wear.  The pros use it.  Look at @EUC Extreme. You don't see the guy riding around naked and donating skin to the pavement although I do hear that riding backwards naked is quite thrilling...  I'd say why not be like the pros and suit up?  You look a lot smarter falling with protective gear on than without plus you might hurt yourself less.  I guess it's sort of like those people who ride motorcycles with T-shirts, shorts and flipflops on  It takes a bad fall to remind them that they canna deny the laws of physics.

I saw that! ^_^

3 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

<snip>
I don't know what's the big deal about trying to be cool and not use protective wear.
<snip>

And I don't know what the big deal is about pushing the limits on these wheels. Don't we all know by now that they eventually can't compensate for the lean. I think that I'm officially over being interested about people's experiences pushing the speed boundaries of the various wheels.:sleep1:

Sharp eyes Marty Backe, you got sharp eyes.  ^_^  Gotta keep ribbing ya a bit.  ;)

I guess with these new toys people naturally are curious to see how fast they can take them without fully understanding them.  It's like getting a brand new bike and seeing how fast you can zoom up to.  But with one wheel I think they need to be reminded that there's no safety net other than your protective gear and smarts.  You just can't glide to a safe stop.   Dance with that failure speed limit Devil, and you will get burned!  There should be some sort of basic course newbs should take before riding.  At speeds over 30 kph, we're talking possible disabilities!  And as new wheels come out I am sure we will hear (or maybe not) about a fatality soon enough once they bump those speeds up further.

I suppose we can leave things to Darwin's theory of evolution, but I just hate seeing people become statistics.  It kind of takes a bit away from the enjoyment of riding these knowing other people are getting hurt on them due to their own carelessness.  I guess I should care less, but I think it leaves a bad impression on the hobby overall.  It's like hearing about motorcyclists zooming in and out of traffic wrecklessly or riding at 280 kph and ending up getting hurt or dying.  It just makes everyone look bad the next time you see a motorcyclist riding around...

6 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Got any video?  :w00t2:

Nah unfortunately because i too would like to know how the hell i'm this well off. What i suspect happened is that i basically just slid across the asphalt (around 10 meters at least) belly facing the ground (my hips have wounds too).

When it comes to protective gear i'd always advise it but i'm never gonna use it. Also this is my first crash on a EUC and the first time i've even been close. I've had bikes ride out RIGHT in front of me, stopping on a dime from going 35-38km/h so the protective gear would only really help me in testing situations because otherwise i don't go above the 80% warning. And in hindsight i should have worn gear for testing.

I might be able to post some gory pictures of the flesh wound - cousin took some pics yesterday so let's hope they're still there so they can be used to disincentivize reckless behavior.

We got plenty of photos of accidents, but sure post them up!  I think @nomad crashed his brand new Gotway MSuper and his V5F+... but at least he was wearing some protective gear.  Some people want to aspire to become a crash test dummy, and fine so be it.  Limits and limbs are meant to be tested and broken right?  I guess I'm showing my age a bit here... as the older you get the slower you heal up so your risk level tends to go down I find at least.

You'll have to pardon me as I'm a little tired tonight... Had a long week, worked Saturday (ugh), and I'm a little testy.  No jokes, @Rehab1, no jokes!  :lol:  People are free to do whatever they want of course.  People eventually learn what works best for them and what doesn't.  What doesn't tends to be self-eliminating over time so it's all good.  Either way, have fun with your wheel, don't be a statistic, and good luck!

A little bit weird, that experiment, or?

"Testing the limits"?? and going over 45kmh, which is the announced max for the 67volt 820wh version??

What else results did you expect than this faceplant? (btw.: good you are ok, and alive!)

what you describe as "reverse tiltback" is the absolut last annoucement of your wheel that it will cutout because of max limit reached.....some rare pro riders can save the ride when they feel it....

you want a stronger wheel? Use the 84volt 1600wh V3s+.....on this wheel you can "test" how it feels faceplanting with 55-60kmh!

(Sarcasm....Sorry, but its hard to commentate without breaking the forum rules :-) )

On 4/4/2017 at 6:21 AM, Noillek said:

Shall the users of this community collaborate on creating an how to do a full reliability check and map common issues and fixes? I believe that there's already allot of segmented information that just needs to be consolidated.

Excellent Idea. Unfortunately many of the pre-flight reliability checks would require opening up the wheel each time before a ride.I don't believe members are willing to perform that laborious task before each outing. 

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The pros use it.  Look at @EUC Extreme. You don't see the guy riding around naked and donating skin to the pavement although I do hear that riding backwards naked is quite thrilling... 

Oh God...will the subliminal suggestions ever end? Another vivid image I have to deal with! :shock2:

5 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

You'll have to pardon me as I'm a little tired tonight... Had a long week, worked Saturday (ugh), and I'm a little testy.  No jokes, @Rehab1, no jokes!  :lol: 

I'm currently at work so no violins for you!;)

Given the amount of EUC accidents occurring on Saturdays I vote to make Saturday the 'Day of Rest'  and ride on Sunday when the deity of your choice provides you with protection from accidents. I know @Marty Backe has his own special relationship with his GW God but that didn't even work last Saturday.:innocent1:

15 hours ago, xiiijojjo said:

I just crashed yesterday on my new msuper v3 820wh going 48km/h - no helmet, no gloves, no protection.

You are still alive, that's a miracle already. If you hit your head instead of sliding... dead.

15 hours ago, xiiijojjo said:

I was using the wheellog app (looking at the wattage output) trying to test the limits of this thing under low wind conditions but it must have been inaccurate as i within 1-2 seconds experienced what i can only describe as the opposite of pedal tiltback - so the pedals would start leaning forwards, making the unicycle disappear under me.

I weigh 76-77kg 

I now realize i too am mortal and will respect the 80% alarm. Only "safe" speeds with a gotway msuper v3 is the speeds below the 80% alarm and even those can kill you if you fall in the wrong way or place.

edit: this actually makes me a lot more interested in better motors on unicycles as this crash could have been avoided had the motors been able to output more wattage. The higher the wattage the higher speeds you can go before hitting that 80% warning

And the crash was your fault. Even with protective clothing this would be D-U-M-B. Sorry, but not sure what else to say. Get well fast.

And think what would happen if the wheel cuts out (ANY part/connection randomly failing), and how you are prepared for that. There will be no gradual forward tilt, the wheel will literally rotate forward in an instant/vanish beneath your feet. You get a bit of forwards rotation for your body, right into the ground, as an added extra.

I think you should just drive towards a 10 cm curb you barely can't drive up (so the wheel can still tilt forwards but will be stopped) for a (hopefully realistic, didn't try) simulation. Start slow, like 5 km/h, and see how you/your hands/your knees/your head likes it and where your body moves when the wheels stops instantly but you don't. (Just make sure the tire does not "lock" or you'll blow your board)

14 hours ago, xiiijojjo said:

When it comes to protective gear i'd always advise it but i'm never gonna use it. Also this is my first crash on a EUC and the first time i've even been close. I've had bikes ride out RIGHT in front of me, stopping on a dime from going 35-38km/h so the protective gear would only really help me in testing situations because otherwise i don't go above the 80% warning.

I mean, if you want to kill yourself, do it. If not, reevaluate how reliable the current EUCs are. Overpowering the wheel is not the only thing that can happen, and overpowering is the most harmless/slowest thing that can happen.

Sorry if all this sounds unfriendly, but if you want to do any more tests, do the curb test first (or invent a better test) and maybe you will see. The point is to have a relatively harmless cut out simulation that makes you think how it would have gone at higher speeds.

@xiiijojjo Ok warning. I am going to be a jerk.

Its people like you that will get the regulations slapped and make this machines more expensive or possibly banned. Why don't you just next time go full speed and crash into a brick wall to test the limits of what ever stupid test you are doing.

The listed speeds are optimal conditions. flat, full battery a 70kg lightweight, no wind.  Anything other that that will cause a cut-off when the wheel back-emf approaches the battery voltage level. so as the battery depletes the lower speed a cut-off will occur. 

1 minute ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

Its people like you that will get the regulations slapped and make this machines more expensive or possibly banned.

i did this on a dead-end no traffic road with no people 

I think @xiiijojjo gets the point that we are all concerned for his well being and the image of our little unusual hobby.  For experienced riders, it's difficult not to have a knee jerk reaction when you hear about someone not wearing any protective safeguards who finds out that these EUCs do have their limits and weak points.  The poor guy broke his phone, his ride, and walked away with some bad scrapes and bruises to ride another day so we should all be thankful for that.  What do they say, "Those who have never faceplanted shall throw the first criticism at those who just faceplanted!"  Or was it something about sin, stones and glass houses?  

I get the feeling that xiijojji (geez couldn't you have ppiccked an easier username to type? :P) is pretty young and fearless.  We've all been there at some point in time.  I remember buying my first new car and tearing up the neighborhood at speeds probably not all that safe when I was young and foolish.  Over time you do mature, learn a few things, and still make mistakes.  ;) We're all human except for Marty Backe who's a mountain climbing Monster and EUC Extreme who's got some deal with the EUC Devil I'm sure of... 

Anyways, don't take our reactions the wrong way.  :cheers:  We do welcome you to the forums, and thank you for sharing your experience with us.  I think we all wish these motors were way over-engineered to save us in any condition whether it be it 60 kph or climbing a 45% hill.  Unfortunately they are not quite there yet, but there's always a new development down the road.  :thumbup:  Is it time for make-up sex yet?

50 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I think @xiiijojjo gets the point that we are all concerned for his well being and the image of our little unusual hobby.  For experienced riders, it's difficult not to have a knee jerk reaction when you hear about someone not wearing any protective safeguards who finds out that these EUCs do have their limits and weak points.  The poor guy broke his phone, his ride, and walked away with some bad scrapes and bruises to ride another day so we should all be thankful for that.  What do they say, "Those who have never faceplanted shall throw the first criticism at those who just faceplanted!"  Or was it something about sin, stones and glass houses?  

I get the feeling that xiijojji (geez couldn't you have ppiccked an easier username to type? :P) is pretty young and fearless.  We've all been there at some point in time.  I remember buying my first new car and tearing up the neighborhood at speeds probably not all that safe when I was young and foolish.  Over time you do mature, learn a few things, and still make mistakes.  ;) We're all human except for Marty Backe who's a mountain climbing Monster and EUC Extreme who's got some deal with the EUC Devil I'm sure of... 

Anyways, don't take our reactions the wrong way.  :cheers:  We do welcome you to the forums, and thank you for sharing your experience with us.  I think we all wish these motors were way over-engineered to save us in any condition whether it be it 60 kph or climbing a 45% hill.  Unfortunately they are not quite there yet, but there's always a new development down the road.  :thumbup:  Is it time for make-up sex yet?

You are too kind. LOL.

But I would say if I wanted to test the limits, for crying out loud DONT DO IT WITH YOUR BODY!

Build some kind of rig. for example a treadmill and have some kind of wind propeller to loaded and then do your testing. Getting on the wheel and going faster than what the manufacturer advertise is just ridiculous. Second what is the point?  All the information has already being developed by engineers. There are infinity resources that would tell you what you can do with a motor. this kind of experimenting is just ignorance and people get hurt. We dont go around and say let me floor my car gas pedal and see how fast it goes before one of my non-speed rated tires blows up because its rated at 90MPH and I took the car up to 125MPH.

Then I go to a forum for fast cars and say. 'Guess what guys, I drove my car to 125mph and my tire blew up. What is going on. The engine says it can go up to 8,000 RPM and with the standard transmission that is equal to 160MPH. I dont understand why my car crashed?"

ok ok . Illl come down. I just dont understand why people do stuff like that. APOLOGIES.

On 4/30/2017 at 3:09 AM, xiiijojjo said:

First and foremost no one on this forum wants to personally berate or ridicule you! We all have been involved in half-witted events in our lives that have left us embarrassed,  injured and dead for our acts.

I respect the fact that you now realize your mortality and have a change of heart when it comes to pushing the limits of your wheel. Our forum strives for safety not only for it's members but also for the general public. We, the forum members, are striving to advance our cause that will allow us to commingle with pedestrians on roads, parks, sidewalks, etc. without the public fearing for their lives! Enough said. 

Archived