Once again the world's most powerful ACM

Back in Nov. 2016 I had recently bought an ACM from @Marty Backe (the 680 wh version) because he wanted to upgrade to the new 840wh version.I added another 680wh of batteries to the ACM to make the 1st 1360wh ACM.:D Then,about a month later Gotway decided to create a 1300wh ACM model and the field felt really crowded.:o So, not being one who likes a crowded field.......,I introduce the new and improved "ACM 2040". :w00t2:  2040wh should get about 100 miles!                                                                                                9C7tO9F.jpg                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     gyO9Kmf.jpg                                                                                                                                                                                                     lfRHiP8.jpg

17 minutes ago, jrkline said:

Back in Nov. 2016 I had recently bought an ACM from @Marty Backe (the 680 wh version) because he wanted to upgrade to the new 840wh version.I added another 680wh of batteries to the ACM to make the 1st 1360wh ACM.:D Then,about a month later Gotway decided to create a 1300wh ACM model and the field felt really crowded.:o So, not being one who likes a crowded field.......,I introduce the new and improved "ACM 2040". :w00t2:  2040wh should get about 100 miles!                                                                                                9C7tO9F.jpg                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     gyO9Kmf.jpg                                                                                                                                                                                                     lfRHiP8.jpg

I think I see what you did - the side boxes now extend to the pedals - which of course means that your pedals can no longer close. Somehow the lines look cleaner on this version - that's good.

BTW, what kind of kickstand do you have going on there?

Is it still comfortable for you or are your feet getting pushed out more?

Look forward to seeing the Franken-wheel this Saturday :)

4 hours ago, anims said:

Where did you buy the batteries? :) Nice work..

The wheel originally had 680wh in it.Then last November I was in China visiting for 3 weeks and bought a used KS-16 from @John Eucist to use while visiting China.I figured that I would remove the batteries from the KS-16 and have them shipped back to the U.S. and check the batteryless wheel on my flight home.:DThe Einsteins comprising the Air Canada staff at Hong Kong Intl.wouldn't let me take the empty wheel on the plane(no batteries) no matter,:angry:so a day after I return to the U.S. I receive the 680wh battery shipment from @tinawong and have no wheel to put them in.^_^That is when I decided to make the 1st 1360wh ACM.:)Then about a month later Gotway came out with there own 1300wh version of the ACM so recently I decided to "up the ante" and add another 680wh of batteries to my version and create the 2040 ACM:w00t2:,(batteries came out of 1 of 2 KS-14C's that I have) since I have been riding the newer one and the older one wasn't getting any usage.

I just discovered the overheating shutdown temperature of the ACM,79C.Just came back from a 20mi.ride on some fire access roads above where I live to do a real world test of the 2040ACM.The roads are all dirt and very hilly(makes Griffith Park seem like a roll through the park) and one hill rose about 1200ft. before it leveled out a bit.That is when it went into the slow rocking back and forth to prevent riding until it cools a bit.I guess even 12 mosfets have their limits.

1 minute ago, jrkline said:

I just discovered the overheating shutdown temperature of the ACM,79C.Just came back from a 20mi.ride on some fire access roads above where I live to do a real world test of the 2040ACM.The roads are all dirt and very hilly(makes Griffith Park seem like a roll through the park) and one hill rose about 1200ft. before it leveled out a bit.That is when it went into the slow rocking back and forth to prevent riding until it cools a bit.I guess even 12 mosfets have their limits.

Would heat sinks help with the issue? Now that it's starting to warm up do you foresee overheating issues becoming more prevalent?  

4 minutes ago, Han said:

Would heat sinks help with the issue? Now that it's starting to warm up do you foresee overheating issues becoming more prevalent?  

Only in extreme very hilly off road excursions.Every time I've road Griffith Park the hottest the ACM has ever gotten is 65C and that is a moderate hilly area.To get the ACM to overheat,you really have to push it to the limit.:yawn:

41 minutes ago, Han said:

I think less donuts would help ;)

57 minutes ago, jrkline said:

Hey Jeff, that's very cool (no pun intended) info. I had thought the ACM was limited to 70c. That explains why @captainwells was not getting tilt-back when his 1st gen ACM was over 70c last weekend, which had me scratching my head.

79c is hot! Like you've noted, yours is the first time I've heard of an ACM overheating, and we've really tested ours to the limits. Wow, can't wait to get a personal report on these new trails that you've found. Looks like some good riding ahead of me :D

Too bad the KingSong craps out at 69c

10 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I think less donuts would help ;)

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

56 minutes ago, jrkline said:

Hey Jeff, that's very cool (no pun intended) info. I had thought the ACM was limited to 70c. That explains why @captainwells was not getting tilt-back when his 1st gen ACM was over 70c last weekend, which had me scratching my head.

79c is hot! Like you've noted, yours is the first time I've heard of an ACM overheating, and we've really tested ours to the limits. Wow, can wait to get a personal report on these new trails that you've found. Looks like some good riding ahead of me :D

Too bad the KingSong craps out at 69c

Donuts not withstanding,I'm sure your nare little ass would overheat any wheel on these trails too.:D We'll just have to see what Duarte has to throw at us tomorrow!:w00t2:

2 minutes ago, jrkline said:

Donuts not withstanding,I'm sure your nare little ass would overheat any wheel on these trails too.:D We'll just have to see what Duarte has to throw at us tomorrow!:w00t2:

:roflmao:

Hi everyone, last weekend our group ride at Griffith Park , my KS14 overheating just over 59c, ACM can up to 79c , that is HOT!!!

8 minutes ago, nbxpq3 said:

Hi everyone, last weekend our group ride at Griffith Park , my KS14 overheating just over 59c, ACM can up to 79c , that is HOT!!!

The warmest that my KS18B seemed to get was 45C.  I think that it was one of the coolest running ones out during the ride there.

Allen

Comparing temperature values between two different wheels is a bit hard, as it depends where the temperature is measured from. If the internals of the mosfets (which during use run hotter than the outside, even if measured from the surface of the component) get to somewhere between 125 and 150 Celsius (I don't remember the exact values, but it's somewhere between there ;)), they're toast.

Some wheels may be more conservative when it comes to overheat-warnings, but none of them can escape the laws of physics if they get hot enough (P- and N-doped silicon -junction melting and the component getting destroyed) :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junction_temperature

14 hours ago, abinder3 said:

The warmest that my KS18B seemed to get was 45C.  I think that it was one of the coolest running ones out during the ride there.

Allen

I would hope so.The first generation KS wheels have overheating issues.I've had both my 14c's and 18a at Griffith Park and they all overheated.When I visited the Kingsong facility last Oct.,they were in the midst of there KS-18 redesign to solve the heat and fuse burning problems.They put me on the 18B and had me go up and down their inclined testing ramp to see if a big American "who eats too many donuts" according to @Marty Backe (actually too much IN-N-OUT) could overheat or blow a fuse in the wheel but the new model seems to lack the prior problems.I was really impressed with your 18B and the increase in performance.:)

10 hours ago, jrkline said:

(actually too much IN-N-OUT)

When I was in San Diego in the 90's there were bumper stickers for IN-N-OUT burgers that people would remove the b and rs.  Do they still do that?:mellow:

IN-N-OUT just came to Texas a couple years ago, it was amazing the crowds that were always there when a new store would open, and the one I go to sometimes is still doing good business.  There was an article in D Magazine about them and the secret menu items you could order, like animal style, protein style with no bun, just wrapped in lettuce, and others I can't remember.  Love the double double, but for some reason the fries don't taste good to me, too thin and dry.

14 hours ago, swvision said:

Wow! looks really solid...Very nice handy work Jeff.

Thanks.Still a work in progress though.Had a battery cover pop off during my Duarte exploratory ride with @Marty Backe but still managed to log 30+ miles

13 hours ago, steve454 said:
23 hours ago, jrkline said:

When I was in San Diego in the 90's there were bumper stickers for IN-N-OUT burgers that people would remove the b and rs.  Do they still do that?:mellow:

Can't say I see it much anymore.But it is nice to know that they have arrived in Texas.Might have to relocate there when Cali goes totally marxist or falls in the ocean.:huh:

10 hours ago, jrkline said:

Thanks.Still a work in progress though.Had a battery cover pop off during my Duarte exploratory ride with @Marty Backe but still managed to log 30+ miles

Can't say I see it much anymore.But it is nice to know that they have arrived in Texas.Might have to relocate there when Cali goes totally marxist or falls in the ocean.:huh:

i allread said that on facebook, take care of your batteries...with 6 parallel systems of 340wh packs, and paralleling them by y-cable, you can have bad trouble, if ever one or two cells from one pack go dead.....as the paralleling bypasses the security mechanism of the BMS's.

This is not meant as offense or discrediting your work here, which i find absolutely stunning and fantastic!

Just a hint for staying safe at home...

5 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

i allread said that on facebook, take care of your batteries...with 6 parallel systems of 340wh packs, and paralleling them by y-cable, you can have bad trouble, if ever one or two cells from one pack go dead.....as the paralleling bypasses the security mechanism of the BMS's.

This is not meant as offense or discrediting your work here, which i find absolutely stunning and fantastic!

Just a hint for staying safe at home...

I am not an expert on BMS boards but I'm not sure that paralleling battery packs is bypassing any security mechanisms.I believe the BMS would simply shutdown and individual pack that has a fault.I have enhanced the wh capacity of my IPS a130,rockwheel gr16,IPS Kahuna,KS-18 and now the ACM.I did have a couple of cells in a 132wh pack that I had in my KS-18 go bad but the other packs were fine.The only way I discovered the bad pack was by noticing a slight decrease in the range of the KS-18.But if someone here on the forums has more input or experience,I would welcome it.

• 1 year later...
47 minutes ago, Chris Smith said:

What means ACM?  Is there a link? Sorry my ignorance

Type "EUC ACM" in Google

Archived