I want to sell some of my older wheels, but I don't have the original packaging.

Does anyone have any tips for packaging and shipping?  What should I use for padding in the box to prevent damage?

I know from experience in the UK postal companies won't pay on claims of damage on heavy items if bubble wrap is used - you need to use polystyrene of some sort - get a sheet from a TV or something big and fabricate your own?  

In the UK, Currys normally throw old packaging from TV's that are on display, so if you ask nicely they will probably give it to you for free.

4 hours ago, MichaelSF said:

Although a dated post I have some timeless shipping tips (experience gained by being on eBay since 1998).

A few times over the years I have sold large vintage electronics on eBay and had to ship them (usually NYC). Some tips:

Super helpful. Thanks!

On 4/19/2017 at 9:18 PM, captainwells said:

Super helpful. Thanks!

Get the regulations. I have them but not available right now because they are in my work computer. If it is discovered after you ship that it has lithium batteries, the penalties will ruin you financially. 

It needs to be packaged and it need to be cushioned. The package need to insure it won't break apart it its dropped. Double box is advised. It need a label showing some symbols indicating lithium powered device. The shipper should have info on how to do. 

I posted the PDF files in here somewhere will look  

5 minutes ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

Get the regulations. I have them but not available right now because they are in my work computer. If it is discovered after you ship that it has lithium batteries, the penalties will ruin you financially. 

It needs to be packaged and it need to be cushioned. The package need to insure it won't break apart it its dropped. Double box is advised. It need a label showing some symbols indicating lithium powered device. The shipper should have info on how to do. 

I posted the PDF files in here somewhere will look  

thevlink above has a PDF that shows what to do.