Shipping Tips?

I know from experience in the UK postal companies won't pay on claims of damage on heavy items if bubble wrap is used - you need to use polystyrene of some sort - get a sheet from a TV or something big and fabricate your own?  

In the UK, Currys normally throw old packaging from TV's that are on display, so if you ask nicely they will probably give it to you for free.

• 1 month later...

Although a dated post I have some timeless shipping tips (experience gained by being on eBay since 1998).

A few times over the years I have sold large vintage electronics on eBay and had to ship them (usually NYC). Some tips:

- Use a very large box for shipping. The bigger the box the more padding you can use. 

- Make sure to use padding on all sides. Since this is more a pancake shape, your packing will be more like a clam shell. 

- Use two plastic trash bags. Put the naked EUC into one bag. Seal that bag tight. Use the other bag to enclose the EUC and packing. 

The reason for this is to protect the machine from water, rain, or even cigarette smoker damage. Considering the value I would use three to four bags.

- Using your cell (mobile) take many pics of the sold EUC (including with it on and a video of you riding it), the packing material, and the EUC all packed up. If you have a current newspaper take pics with it in the background. (Yeah, just like proof of life when paying ransom). This is to support an insurance claim. Tip: If you have an original receipt or proof of purchase, all the better, but that's not necessary to make a claim. 

- Take a pic of the box sealed with tape and the address label. 

- When insuring do NOT insure for the selling price, in a way "over insure" so you can get your money and expenses back. I insure for what it would cost me to replace the item damaged or lost. 

- Before shipping check your shipping company's web page on making an insurance claim. See what they require in terms of proof so you have everything ready in the event you need to make a claim. (Of course save your shipping receipt, copy of the mailing label, and your pics. Keep all this in one spot in your house. Do this out of habit so you don't have to spend hours looking for the stuff later.)

- Mark on all sides with felt pen or labels "FRAGILE." You can also mark "this end up." Sometimes I apply stickers that say "THIS END UP."

- You can use your computer and MS Word to make your own labels. Apply to the box with clear tape. 

- I like to send the buyer copies of my pics showing the item carefully packed. This is helpful in deterring a buyer from claiming false damage so he can work you for a discount. If he thinks you have your sh*t together he won't try to pull something. 

- Like others suggested, visit your local electronics store, or even someone who sells appliances. If asked nicely they will let you pull out from recycle all kinds of quality packing foam. 

- Do NOT ever ever ever NEVER use those packing peanuts (aka "popcorn") That stuff is useless to perform a quality packing job. 

- Tape on the bag containing the EUC a sign that says "DO NOT USE BLADED DEVICE TO OPEN" - again, you don't want them slashing the tire or case, blaming you, then asking for a discount. 

- Repeat: The bigger the box the better. Don't try to get a box where you are trying to shape it to the EUC. A large rectangle box works well. 

- I don't know about your area, but here in San Francisco, California UPS has the best rates for shipping large packages. Our USPS has the highest rates. 

- Of course, be careful of scammers. Make sure you have cash in hand, or wait until you have cash in hand, before even thinking about shipping something. Scammers are everywhere so be careful. 

end

4 hours ago, MichaelSF said:

Although a dated post I have some timeless shipping tips (experience gained by being on eBay since 1998).

A few times over the years I have sold large vintage electronics on eBay and had to ship them (usually NYC). Some tips:

Super helpful. Thanks!

On 4/19/2017 at 9:18 PM, captainwells said:

Super helpful. Thanks!

Get the regulations. I have them but not available right now because they are in my work computer. If it is discovered after you ship that it has lithium batteries, the penalties will ruin you financially. 

It needs to be packaged and it need to be cushioned. The package need to insure it won't break apart it its dropped. Double box is advised. It need a label showing some symbols indicating lithium powered device. The shipper should have info on how to do. 

I posted the PDF files in here somewhere will look  

5 minutes ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

Get the regulations. I have them but not available right now because they are in my work computer. If it is discovered after you ship that it has lithium batteries, the penalties will ruin you financially. 

It needs to be packaged and it need to be cushioned. The package need to insure it won't break apart it its dropped. Double box is advised. It need a label showing some symbols indicating lithium powered device. The shipper should have info on how to do. 

I posted the PDF files in here somewhere will look  

thevlink above has a PDF that shows what to do. 

Archived