GotWay 10" LUFFY TEARDOWN VIDS

Hey guys, I've been lurking on this forum for a month or two. Thanks for all the good info. 

I'm guessing the battery in the video is one of the smaller versions. Looks like there was more room for more battery. In fact didn't it look like there might even be more room than the bracket allowed for? I ordered one of these from Aliexpress about a week ago, so I'm glad you posted the video links. Gives me a whole lot more info about it. Nice to know what's inside.

Rob

The Gotway Luffy is a re-spec'd, Gotway-branded re-release of the original Meng Qi Lu Fei / Monkey Wheelbarrow Luffy. AFAICS, only the motor and battery sizes were changed on the newer Gotway-branded Luffy, not the design:

Meng Qi Lu Fei / Monkey Wheelbarrow Luffy (AliExpress/Taobao1/Taobao2/Taobao3)

• Safe Cruising Speed: 22km/h
  • 250W nominal
  • Battery versions: 138WH / 277WH / 430WH
  • Max Load ~75KG

Gotway Luffy

• Safe Cruising Speed: 22km/h
  • 350W nominal
  • Battery versions: 130WH / 170WH / 200WH
  • Max Load 100KG

When you say "smaller battery" for the Gotway version Luffy, all the Gotway version battery sizes are of relatively and physically similar size; it just seems they wanted to give buyers some options, especially with some aiming to fall within FTA/IATA airplane boarding regulations.

There in fact IS more room because the original Luffy design had/has a 430WH version, seen below:

11 hours ago, houseofjob said:

The Gotway Luffy is a re-spec'd, Gotway-branded re-release of the original Meng Qi Lu Fei / Monkey Wheelbarrow Luffy. AFAICS, only the motor and battery sizes were changed on the newer Gotway-branded Luffy, not the design:

When you say "smaller battery" for the Gotway version Luffy, all the Gotway version battery sizes are of relatively and physically similar size; it just seems they wanted to give buyers some options, especially with some aiming to fall within FTA/IATA airplane boarding regulations.

There in fact IS more room because the original Luffy design had/has a 430WH version, seen below:

Battery1.thumb.jpg.0b81359ba82987ca395504afa0e607f0.jpg.fd13e70ab7b51a33e446b387e9e85138.jpg

Oh, wow, yeah that pic looks like a much bigger battery. I ordered the largest offered as of last week which is the 200 wh. Any idea why Gotway doesn't offer the original 430WH Meng Qi Lu Fei battery as an option as well?

2 hours ago, Joe Fung said:

What's the waterproof performance? IP??

So, both these concepts get commonly confused by riders with the real question I believe they are really asking: How does the EUC handle under rainy conditions?.

Point #1: IMHO, no EUC is waterproof (see definition here).

By definition, for an EUC to be waterproof IMO, full immersion of the wheel in water must result in no significant water penetration to the inner hull, where the control board and batteries are housed (penetration, not how well the components work when exposed to water,... there is no rating for that).

For the most part, none of these EUCs are being sealed off at every seam with silicone, or the like, to prevent complete liquid penetration. Doing so would also create much issue with overall cooling / overheating of components under operation.

Point #2: By Ingress Protection rating definition (IP rating), most all EUCs should be IP67 rating.

Why?

As the first IP number is for solids, an EUC IMO is closed off enough to prevent a solid, like sand, from significantly penetrating the inner hull when immersed in the aforementioned solid, thus IP6X.

As for the second digit / liquid ingress IP rating: 

1. To achieve IPX6 rating, an EUC must have no penetration from "powerful water jets", which all achieve / withstand
  2. To achieve IPX7 rating, an EUC must have no penetration from "immersion up to 1m", ie. any immersion, even 1 inch, which all achieve / withstand
  3. To achieve IPX8 rating, an EUC must have no penetration from "immersion beyond 1m", which, for all current EUCs, is full immersion (1m = 39"). So if you buy into my Point #1, no EUCs achieve this.

Again, as a reminder, all these standards are for water penetration, not how well EUC components work under water exposure. For the most part, EUC control boards are fully covered in silicone, and batteries are shrink-wrapped, so they can withstand quite a bit.

In general, I believe most all EUCs will withstand the average rainfall with immersion up to pedal height (ie. puddles). This does not factor in different quirks, like how an IPS Zero or Gotway Monster power button is mechanical and upward facing, making rainfall exposure potentially problematic.

Apologies for the longwinded dive down the waterproof hole~

As for the Luffy handling rainy conditions, I don't see much of any reports of riders, on these or other forums, extensively riding a Luffy, let alone owning, outside of the occasional French forum brife Luffy test ride report.

Hoping to change this as our local NYC Gotway distributor @IvSus / EUC.NYC has recently put in an order for Luffy's, of which I'm planning to take a 200WH off his hands!

@houseofjob, thanks for mentioning  EUC.NYC ! :)

I'm really looking forward to trying the Luffy myself. I've fit my good old MCM4 into a backpack to use for longer commutes with train and bus transfers, but Luffy is a much better fit for that need. If the build quality is on par with the rest of GotWay products, we have nothing to worry about in the rain and dust department.

I'm out of town right now, but Aliexpress shipping tracking says that my 200wh Luffy is sitting on my front porch. I ordered it on Feb 26th. I'm pretty impressed that it came from China that fast, with free shipping. Now I'm going to be anxious all day as I fly home. I hope no one steels it off my porch!!

• 3 months later...

Hi Folks, I'm in the market for a Gotway Luffy for the wife to get around the local shops (< 5 miles) she's around 55kg/120lbs

Was wondering if it's better to go for the 170wh model or the 200wh. The reason I ask is the difference in battery. The 170wh uses a Sony VTC6 (30A) and the 200w uses Pana 16850's (10A)

Thus wondering what the difference would be given different brands and different amps. 

Hoping to get the smallest but beefiest unit possible. 

Screenshot_2017-01-06_18.16.43.jpg?v=148

@jaytee I'm not the battery authority here, but the general trend is for manufacturers to put better cells in the bigger battery packs destined for the more expensive configurations of the same EUC model (see: IPS Zeros > the lowest battery pack was a generic chinese battery pack, while the highest ~320WH was Sony cells).

General rule of thumb that will get hammered to death on these forums is to get the largest battery pack possible, not just for range, but to have enough cells to support higher current draw, esp. in more demanding situations like hills, etc.

To throw another wrench in your decision, since your wife is under 80kg, she could opt for the pre-Gotway, MengQ / Monkey Wheelbarrow 430WH Luffy.

On 6/11/2017 at 9:51 PM, houseofjob said:

@jaytee I'm not the battery authority here, but the general trend is for manufacturers to put better cells in the bigger battery packs destined for the more expensive configurations of the same EUC model (see: IPS Zeros > the lowest battery pack was a generic chinese battery pack, while the highest ~320WH was Sony cells).

Good to know. Ty

On 6/11/2017 at 9:51 PM, houseofjob said:

General rule of thumb that will get hammered to death on these forums is to get the largest battery pack possible, not just for range, but to have enough cells to support higher current draw, esp. in more demanding situations like hills, etc.

To throw another wrench in your decision, since your wife is under 80kg, she could opt for the pre-Gotway, MengQ / Monkey Wheelbarrow 430WH Luffy.

Oh Snap. Just ordered the 200wh Luffy! Hope it's enough juice. I read somewhere that the pre-Gotway luffy's should be avoided because reasons. ;) I'm not even close to an expert but apparently something to do with torque?

Not sure why they didn't do >200wh on the new Luffy, Gotway edition.

We visiting Bristol and wanted to get her something light to get around town and poke around the shops / downtown.

If she likes it the idea would be to get a 2nd unit that has more power and range.

41 minutes ago, jaytee said:

Oh Snap. Just ordered the 200wh Luffy! Hope it's enough juice.

Just got my 200wH Luffy this past weekend.

At my rider weight of 77kg, the Luffy feels surprisingly torque-y on flats (pretty sure due to Gotway's retooling and upgrading the Luffy to 350watts nominal).

But on the slightest sidewalk cracks and divots (that any 14"+ EUC would handle without issue), the smaller 10" tire plus sub-500 Watt nominal power does tend to result in an overpower beep. 

I'm learning to combat this by riding in mixed feet position more towards the back of the pedals, so that I can tilt the Luffy backwards on the bump, as riding regular tends to dip forward and overpower the Luffy.

43 minutes ago, jaytee said:

I read somewhere that the pre-Gotway luffy's should be avoided because reasons. ;) I'm not even close to an expert but apparently something to do with torque?

Pretty sure no one on these forums has actually bought or even tried the pre-Gotway, MengQ/Monkey Wheelbarrow Luffy, so what you probably read is all speculation based on the lower nominal power listing.

2 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Just got my 200wH Luffy this past weekend.

At my rider weight of 77kg, the Luffy feels surprisingly torque-y on flats (pretty sure due to Gotway's retooling and upgrading the Luffy to 350watts nominal).

But on the slightest sidewalk cracks and divots (that any 14"+ EUC would handle without issue), the smaller 10" tire plus sub-500 Watt nominal power does tend to result in an overpower beep. 

I'm learning to combat this by riding in mixed feet position more towards the back of the pedals, so that I can tilt the Luffy backwards on the bump, as riding regular tends to dip forward and overpower the Luffy.

Awesome. Will keep that in mind.

Totally just for curiosity sake - has anyone had the idea to add more 16850's to the unit (like a custom hack) or would that be silly to even consider

7 minutes ago, jaytee said:

Totally just for curiosity sake - has anyone had the idea to add more 16850's to the unit (like a custom hack) or would that be silly to even consider

There's definitely enough space, as the design has not changed from the original Luffy, which was able to fit that ~420wH battery pack.

Luffy arrived today. Wife banged it around for about 30 minutes and gave up. Said it's much harder than it looks :laughbounce2:. Maybe will try learning on grass.

Wondering if the Luffy has any settings? Didn't see any buttons (other than on / off) or any way to connect the Gotway IOS app.

Archived