Why no Gotway 16 Inch

Chuts

Just curious if anyone knows why there is no Gotway 16" Wheel?  Price wise between a 14" and the 18" is a big jump and as many would agree a 16" wheel is a nice compromise between both sizes.

Good question. The feedback from King Song was that simply extending a 14" Wheel into a 16" did not have the desired performance results. The GW 18's motor appears to be the standard [but probably modified] 14" but on stilts (or struts) converting it into a 18" diameter. 

Good question. The feedback from King Song was that simply extending a 14" Wheel into a 16" did not have the desired performance results. The GW 18's motor appears to be the standard [but probably modified] 14" but on stilts (or struts) converting it into a 18" diameter. 

This idea of the 14 and 18 inch gotways having the same motor didn't sound right to me so I just checked. The diameter of the central black motor hub on the 14" is about 220mm, I couldnt be exact as the axle is in place but it's fairly close and the M18 measures about 300mm in diameter despite having the spokes/stilts out to the rim.

So in concluson there is no way that they are the same motor.

Incidentally the hub on the 16" IPS132 is about 270mm in diamter.

So 16" to 18", make sense, thanks for checking!  Existing King Song 18"s have the same arrangement, although I remember at the factory seeing a couple massive 18" stator-to-rim hub motors, perhaps this is for the next generation eWheel.

Actually looking at all the Gotways if they were to incorporate the rim into the hub disc as they have on the M10 they could actually fit the 300mm M18 motor into a 16" wheel.

Now that would be awesome!  :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 5'10" and I was trying out a friends 14" wheel, a variation of the X3 EU.  Don't know if it is because I'm so used to riding my 16" EU.  That when riding the 14" EU I felt really insecure riding it.  The leg support I am used to with my 16" was absent with the 14".  When I went at a faster speed and turning felt really strange as if I would fall off at any moment.  Rode for about 200 meters and was relieved when we switched back.

Any riders out who are at my height or taller currently using an 14" EU as their daily driver?

Try riding a bicycle with small wheels: it will feel quite strange and insecure, and this feeling won't go away after 200m. If you rode it for a week and then switch back, a normal bike will feel quite strange (and insecure). I am above 6' and feel fine on a 14" wheel. I have no doubts though that 16" is generally safer, and probably a better compromise between safety and agility under "normal" use. 

Archived