How do you handle Hydroplaning?

I don't believe you will be able to hydroplane with an EUC (to narrow and also U-shaped tires), but if you were, I believe it would be like running on watery ice, or turning off the power. You will most probably fall immediately because the EUC can no longer balance you. Just my guess though. I have never heard of anybody hydroplaning on a bicycle (real, not just imagined). Have you?

I'm not quite sure what you mean now. But I will often winter sideslip.
Both summer tire often lose grip and going round in circles.
And I do not fall over.
Yesterday I was driving, and I drove 5 meters on a snowy path sideslip. I stayed upright and continued the trip without stopping.

6 hours ago, Jonathan Tolhurst said:

How do other riders handle "Hydroplaning" I.e. when you ride through a shallow puddle on a muddy track and you suddenly lose all traction? 

I would agree with @Frodethat is it not very likely to occur, but of course mud/loam pads on the road (or in the puddle ground) can have very similar effects. Most important is to have zero acceleration/deceleration forces going on and being exactly on top of the wheel when hitting the spot. And as always, bent and soft knees help to keep unforeseeable moves of the wheel under control.

On 3/5/2017 at 9:13 AM, Mono said:

I would agree with @Frodethat is it not very likely to occur, but of course mud/loam pads on the road (or in the puddle ground) can have very similar effects. Most important is to have zero acceleration/deceleration forces going on and being exactly on top of the wheel when hitting the spot. And as always, bent and soft knees help to keep unforeseeable moves of the wheel under control.

Agreed, after a few falls in a muddy tunnel I learn my lesson.

Now every time I see lose sand, mud or anything that might be slippery, I straighten up so I'm not turning nor accelerating or decelerating, and kinda just coast over the slippery spot. It has worked well so far.

I run into the problem with sand on the Chicago lakefront trails.  Traveling through sand on my V8 is a bit dodgy because the sand is soft, and feels a bit like molasses, but any little ripple will push the wheel left or right.  I take it slow and hope for the best (fortunately it's soft) 

Speaking of sand, I have a nasty experience with that. On a nice broad path someone had repaired a hole with some very light and loose sand. I run straight into it, thinking it was firm ground... I was - somewhat surprised. And my knee hurted like - well - it hurted. :blink:

Archived