The Rockwheel GT16 Rocks !!

Pingouin

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Ando Melkonyan said:

@Pingouin

Have you tested the 84v ACM? are you comparing the GT 16 to that or the regular 64v ACM ?

Hi, I own the ACM 84v, so I'm comparing the GT16 84v to the ACM 84v, I can't really tell for the ACM 67v vs GT16 67v ;)

2 hours ago, Pingouin said:

Hi, I own the ACM 84v, so I'm comparing the GT16 84v to the ACM 84v, I can't really tell for the ACM 67v vs GT16 67v ;)

Well thats a little depressing. I thought the 84v ACM was the fastest thing out there. Ordered one.. should be arriving pretty soon. 

I almost thought about cancelling my order last night but i just love the way the ACM design.. gt16 not so much. 

There is my compromise. Looks over (extra 5~10kph) speed. Im still happy ?

19 minutes ago, Ando Melkonyan said:

Well thats a little depressing. I thought the 84v ACM was the fastest thing out there. Ordered one.. should be arriving pretty soon. 

I almost thought about cancelling my order last night but i just love the way the ACM design.. gt16 not so much. 

Always something more powerful coming out, esp in EUC where the turnover is yearly.

FWIW, based on all the Gotway hype, you can always sell easily, especially in a state like Cali ;)

23 minutes ago, Ando Melkonyan said:

Don't give up on the ACM Ando. The GT16 does look appealing, but remember that almost nobody has one. The ACM is a proven design that many people like. The GT16 still has to prove itself.

On 3/10/2017 at 4:28 PM, Marty Backe said:

Don't give up on the ACM Ando. The GT16 does look appealing, but remember that almost nobody has one. The ACM is a proven design that many people like. The GT16 still has to prove itself.

I will be fixing that very soon, thank you very much!

While true, the GT16 has some proving to do, the damn thing has been in development for about a year, which was one of the factors that helped me pull the trigger. (another is having more nominal power than my Monster!)

And plenty of GT16's are already being ridden in Korea / China (see Korean Naver blog post / pic below).

At least from a Korean standpoint (as I am Korean), Korean customers are just as nit-picky, if not more, as Americans.

2 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

I will be fixing that very soon, thank you very much!

While true, the GT16 has some proving to do, the damn thing has been in development for about a year, which was one of the factors that helped me pull the trigger. (another is having more nominal power than my Monster!)

And plenty of GT16's are already being ridden in Korea / China (see Korean Naver blog post / pic below).

At least from a Korean standpoint (as I am Korean), Korean customers are just as nit-picky, if not more, as Americans.

Rockwheels.jpg.5095b1556df5604e3a21b18b3a13763a.jpg

Cool picture. Hey, I'm hoping it's a success. I would love to have a super powerful 16" wheel for mountain climbing around here (Los Angeles). Can't wait for some in-depth first hand reports.

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Cool picture. Hey, I'm hoping it's a success. I would love to have a super powerful 16" wheel for mountain climbing around here (Los Angeles). Can't wait for some in-depth first hand reports.

Agreed, just offering point-counterpoint as there seems to be a lot of skeptics who are American/Euro-centric on here. :D

Personally, I think Gotway could use a kick in the a** to make their product even better.

What better way than to support a seemingly worthy competitor? (don't get me wrong, still reserving judgement 'til when I actually test the wheel...)

9 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Agreed, just offering point-counterpoint as there seems to be a lot of skeptics who are American/Euro-centric on here. :D

Personally, I think Gotway could use a kick in the a** to make their product even better.

What better way than to support a seemingly worthy competitor? (don't get me wrong, still reserving judgement 'til when I actually test the wheel...)

Yes, I too desperately want a high performance competitor to Gotway. Right now they are the only game in town. And even if the GT16 meets all expectations, there's no competition in the 18 (sorry KingSong) or 22 sizes. And I REALLY wish the GT16 had more battery capacity.

Interesting that almost all of those guys had GT16's. What, did they do a group buy. Seems weird that they would all be buying a very new model. 

Thanks for trying to keep my spirit up Marty ?? 

Ive been looking at pictures of the GT16 all day long almost trying to convince myself to like the thing but its just such a weird looking disign for me. Cant pull the trigger. I just love the simplistic and rugged design of the ACM ??

On 3/10/2017 at 5:07 PM, Marty Backe said:

Yes, I too desperately want a high performance competitor to Gotway. Right now they are the only game in town. And even if the GT16 meets all expectations, there's no competition in the 18 (sorry KingSong) or 22 sizes. And I REALLY with the GT16 had more battery capacity.

Interesting that almost all of those guys had GT16's. What, did they do a group buy. Seems weird that they would all be buying a very new model. 

ha! I'm a KS-18 owner and I agree with you on the 18" point! (not from a real world riding experience standpoint, but from typical EUC buyer prejudice; the model is, admittedly, niche in a niche hobby of EUC)

And just guessing here, but the super open / exposed design of the GT16 leads me to believe the intention was to create an all purpose wheel / best of all worlds wheel, rather than an all stats wheel: 14" compact-ness, with the balanced ride of a 16" tire, along with a long enough range for most city / urban situations. (another point that made me pull the trigger).

No point in trying to match Gotway stat for stat; some differentiation to set them apart would be smarter.

Some more background info on your group buy point:

• Per the blog, GT16 prototypes were available well prior to the production model release top of this year. So I'm assuming all these guys test rode before they bought. And FWIW, Gotway is popular and well ridden there as well.
  • Koreans are notorious early adopters, especially 30+YO men with disposable income. 
  • As production all comes from China / Shenzhen, a ~4 hour plane ride from Korea, and EUCs get released earlier in Asia than internationally, they've probably had purchasing access to the GT16 (Gotway as well) for a month or more earlier than international

edit: also, these guys sporting GT16's could also own Gotway as well, as will be my case.

21 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, I too desperately want a high performance competitor to Gotway. Right now they are the only game in town. And even if the GT16 meets all expectations, there's no competition in the 18 (sorry KingSong) or 22 sizes. And I REALLY wish the GT16 had more battery capacity.

Hi Marty, I think the main competitors of Gotway are Kingsong and Rockwheel for the moment (if they succeed long term), with the future KS18, and the GT16, I think your desire for safer high speed will be reality, I would love to see official EUC race one day, it could be really fun ^^

2 minutes ago, captainwells said:

I just got a status update on my GT16 order from Rockwheel Store on AliExpress:

"Friend, I'm very sorry, because GT16 mainboard system is upgrading, currently being debugged, may need two weeks to transport"

i would be happy, as the "rockwheel store" owner is -as i get it- directly involved in the Gt16 production....

So i dont think that is a "story" to have some more time because of delivery problems.

1 hour ago, captainwells said:

"Friend, I'm very sorry, because GT16 mainboard system is upgrading, currently being debugged, may need two weeks to transport"

This falls in line with delays / reduced GT16 order unit numbers being experienced by Rockwheel Korea (source) -> (use google translate).  Apparently even the Chinese buyers are having difficulty buying unless they ordered in advance.

They might be implementing the change requests that the French shops have been requesting before they actively carry the GT16.

But, it also seems very likely that the introduction of a larger 1036WH version, along with a 3rd colorway, is contributing to delays (see TaoBao GT16 product listing)

1 hour ago, captainwells said:

Requirements engineering, test/ use cases, quality control and you can sort out a lot of problems. Than a serious company would start with bench test and riding tests with engineering samples. Field test happens on the customer side today. 

This is a problem of this products in general, not Rockwheel specially.

6 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

i would be happy, as the "rockwheel store" owner is -as i get it- directly involved in the Gt16 production....

So i dont think that is a "story" to have some more time because of delivery problems.

No judgement intended, I was merely providing a status update for anyone that's curious.  I'm happy for them to take as long as they need to get it right.  I've been stung a few times as an early adopter of new models.

5 hours ago, houseofjob said:

But, it also seems very likely that the introduction of a larger 1036WH version, along with a 3rd colorway, is contributing to delays (see TaoBao GT16 product listing)

Any idea what the third color is?  Google Translate just says "Other Facial Color".

Just now, captainwells said:

Any idea what the third color is?  Google Translate just says "Other Facial Color".

No clue.

Some early GT16 mockups had teal, lime green, and orange; you can still see in product page photos like this (bottom of the picture set).

On 3/13/2017 at 0:53 PM, houseofjob said:

Ha!, seems like Rockwheel was listening. Enter the GT16 1036WH: TaoBao GT16 Product Listing.

That makes it real temping to get one of these. I also noticed that the 84v 1036wh is listed at roughly $1000 US. And if that isn't enough battery capacity, You could always add this to it https://world.taobao.com/item/524148157857.htm?fromSite=main (5440WH extended battery pack) :o 

17 minutes ago, swvision said:

That makes it real temping to get one of these. I also noticed that the 84v 1036wh is listed at roughly $1000 US. 

Remember, TaoBao does not list with shipping.

On 3/10/2017 at 11:15 PM, houseofjob said:

Koreans are notorious early adopters, especially 30+YO men with disposable income. 

From the information from mfgs, this certainly seems to be so. Case in point: Gotway told me to hurry up with putting my order in, because they received a 1,500 unit order from their Korean Distributor! No other country is anywhere approaching near these numbers.

26 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

From the information from mfgs, this certainly seems to be so. Case in point: Gotway told me to hurry up with putting my order in, because they received a 1,500 unit order from their Korean Distributor! No other country is anywhere approaching near these numbers.

Wow, not even France?

Archived