ACM 16 pedal behaviour

Hi!

Received my ACM16 820wh today. As I rode, I noticed some strange behaviours on my pedals, compared to my Ninebot S2. When I turn, especially at low speeds and sharper turns, the pedals turn forward to the point where I think I'm gonna fall off forwards. And when I ride fast (30km/h+), even without tiltback activated, the pedals lean back so it's uncomfortable for my feet and sometimes I fear slipping off backwards. I would like the pedals to remain as flat as possible during all aspects of my riding. 

I want to know if anyone else is experiencing things like this, or they did and just adjusted themselves, or if there is a way to update the machine somehow to amend this behaviour. I don't think a calibration via the app will do it as it would exacerbate the issues one way or the other.

Cheers!

concerning the first item, when making sharp turns I experience the same thing on my MCM4. no idea what's the reason for such behaviour. considering the second item, it seems like the tiltback is still activated. wouldn't surprise me, as with some versions of the app the changes of beeps and tiltback simply don't work consistently, or not at all.

Hi, when I ride the ACM fast (above 29kph), the same thing happens, the pedals tends to go upwards, but it stays like that even above 42kph, I think it is to encourage you to slow down, or maybe to keep a more upward position, it's not the tiltback, the tiltback is different.

As for the first item, I experience the same thing with mcm4 and ACM, but not if you ride in the "sport" mode.

Are you in comfort mode ?

If I try to be straight in my body at speed, the body tilts me back. I have to lean in a way that the feet don't like even to maintain what speed I have.

I ride in sport mode. I can try comfort to see if it gets even worse.

I will also experiment with tiltback on lower speeds to get a good feel for how that feels so as not to report false positives.

Try this, Turn on your wheel, lay it on it's side, the tire will start to turn a little bit but that's ok, then it will start to beep wait till all the beeps are done I think there's 4 then pick it up hold it upright till you feel it activate again, turn it off then turn it on and try riding again 

I experience this too.  I just think that the ride mode is too soft, even on sports mode hence the dip forward when at low speeds.

to counter the dip forward I have calibrated the wheel to have a slight incline of 3-4 percent which helps a bit but as you say will have a negative effect regarding the lean back at speed.

On ‎01‎.‎03‎.‎2017 at 9:08 PM, Souleye said:

Hi!

Received my ACM16 820wh today. As I rode, I noticed some strange behaviours on my pedals, compared to my Ninebot S2. When I turn, especially at low speeds and sharper turns, the pedals turn forward to the point where I think I'm gonna fall off forwards. And when I ride fast (30km/h+), even without tiltback activated, the pedals lean back so it's uncomfortable for my feet and sometimes I fear slipping off backwards. I would like the pedals to remain as flat as possible during all aspects of my riding. 

I want to know if anyone else is experiencing things like this, or they did and just adjusted themselves, or if there is a way to update the machine somehow to amend this behaviour. I don't think a calibration via the app will do it as it would exacerbate the issues one way or the other.

Cheers!

I have seen this Problem on a Video(somewhere here on the Forum) for a MSuper and also had it myself once after a calibrate...This is NOT a normal behaviour!

i personnaly got rid of it by calibrating it by again byHolding the wheel perfect alligned horizontal and vertical, but others got not rid of it.

If you can not get it away there is only the way of board Change....take a proof Video of the odd behaviour at turns and speak with your seller!

Found it:

Hi,

What I see in this video happens when I go to sport mode (I don't like this mode because I find it harder to decelerate) from what I've been testing, but it the other mods the behavior is the one described above, maybe there is a simple calibration to do before trying to change the board ?

If calibrating it doesn't work then here's another option to try besides what I posted earlier, open up the side and tighten all the screws on and around the board, basically tighten every screws you see some of the screws on and around the board are slightly loose. I tried that today and so far so good

Thanks for all your comments so far! Appreciate it.

Comfort mode was really not my cup of tea. Didn't solve the issues.

I enabled tiltback and BOY does this TILT! There's just no way to overcome tiltback if I wanted to; if I tried it would be a guaranteed fall. I'm glad I didn't have tiltback enabled at higher speeds, feels super dangerous to me.

I will try calibration and see if that helps.

Oh, and I tried riding the thing backwards, and then it behaved a lot better (though not enough that I'll say it's fine). Can they have screwed it up so bad that they have different gyro values for forward and backwards riding, and mounted my wheel in the reverse?

Calibration didn't help. No change.

Riding it backwards is actually what works the best, but it feels kinda weird to have the headlight pointing backwards. On the other hand, I can check my battery fairly easily...

Still, at low speeds it feels weird. On turns, the wheel dips forward, and then uprights itself when straightening out. So weird behaviour.

I need to talk to Speedy Feet about this...

I'm sorry it didn't help, this behavior still seems normal to me, maybe it's a matter of firmware, because I feel exactly the same things than you on my ACM, so unless my ACM is also defective, I would say your wheel fine. btw I've tested the KS16B and it has the same behavior, only my mcm4 is slightly different when in sport mode.

1 hour ago, Souleye said:

Still, at low speeds it feels weird. On turns, the wheel dips forward, and then uprights itself when straightening out. So weird behaviour.

This is EXACTLY what my KingSong 14c does.  I think the algorithm that a lot of these wheels seem to share, is written to try help the turn.  I don't believe it does.  I didn't like it at first, but I'm used to it now.  Although, when I do a sharp 180, the tilt forward to tilt back is so extreme that I've had to step off more than once;  it transitions from about 20 Deg. Tilt forward to 20 Deg. Tilt back and my own personal balance algorithm can't keep up.  I ! .. Need an upgrade.

if you don't think that's fun, go find a very bumpy surface to ride on, and add a turn or two for good measure. (Wear protection) ?

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

I think the algorithm that a lot of these wheels seem to share, is written to try help the turn.  I don't believe it does.  I didn't like it at first, but I'm used to it now.

I don't believe it helps either, and I don't like it at all.  I'm kind of used to it, but every time someone says it helps the turn, my brain just goes huh?  The pedals should just stay flat, or even tilt back a little.

22 hours ago, Souleye said:

Thanks for all your comments so far! Appreciate it.

Comfort mode was really not my cup of tea. Didn't solve the issues.

I enabled tiltback and BOY does this TILT! There's just no way to overcome tiltback if I wanted to; if I tried it would be a guaranteed fall. I'm glad I didn't have tiltback enabled at higher speeds, feels super dangerous to me.

I will try calibration and see if that helps.

Oh, and I tried riding the thing backwards, and then it behaved a lot better (though not enough that I'll say it's fine). Can they have screwed it up so bad that they have different gyro values for forward and backwards riding, and mounted my wheel in the reverse?

No problem, I know exactly what you are goin threw, gotway need to make their boards better there are so many people that have fairly new wheels that just start malfunctioning out of nowhere, my msuper 820 started doin the same thing after about 2 months never dropped it or anything, bought a new board from speedy feet and it's still not fixed so Right away i bought a msuper s+ and it's basically doin the same thing. I think they jus make cheap boards. It's to the point now if you buy a wheel from gotway you might as well add on an addition $200 because you are gonna need A new board sooner or later.  And another thing that really pisses me off about gotway is you actually have to open up your brand new wheel to double check their work to make sure everything is soldered right etc I think that's bullshit I shouldn't have to open up a $2000 wheel to double check anything to. I have a Ninebot mini pro and it's been flawless ever since I got it about a yr ago. and if you contact the so called gotway customer service they think calibration fixes everything but it doesn't and they don't have a solution for your problem so ur stuck with a $1300-2000 wheel that's not enjoyable to ride.  I really hope NINEBOT is paying attention and they come out with a wheel that's similar to gotway's as far as speed and size. If you happen to fix your wheel let us know what the solution was, GOOD LUCK.

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

I don't believe it helps either, and I don't like it at all.  I'm kind of used to it, but every time someone says it helps the turn, my brain just goes huh?  The pedals should just stay flat, or even tilt back a little.

I agree with this. There's just no "helping" going on, only working against what naturally wants to happen. My Ninebot S2's algos are perfect - they just keep the thing leveled. Handles like a dream.

So after talking to Speedy Feet, I did a few new calibrations and now the tilting back is more manageable. The dipping on turning still happens though - at all speeds! Very unnerving and unsettling. With less grippage from the pedals after they're worn down, I fear I might slip forward one day...

On 3/4/2017 at 3:46 PM, Smoother said:

This is EXACTLY what my KingSong 14c does.  I think the algorithm that a lot of these wheels seem to share, is written to try help the turn.  I don't believe it does.  I didn't like it at first, but I'm used to it now.

My IPS wheels do this too. Like Smoother, I also don't think it helps the turn. Like Smoother, I also did not like it at first, but I am used to it now.

Could this be the reason for the pedals tilting in slow turns?

If the gyro is not aligned in a plane that is parallel to the pedal arms, it is possible to tilt the gyro front/back by leaning the euc left/right.

It happens at all speeds, not just slow turns. It's just easier to spot at lower speeds. If you wanna feel it in action at higher speeds you wanna find a big space to do long turns in.

If the behaviour is by design to "help", then this is an "easy" fix - just remove the "helping" code and allow for another mode.

If it's hardware related, we are probably SOOL.

I don't want to have to lean backwards in turns to counter the wheel leaning forward. And then lean back forward when the wheel tilts back when I straighten out. It just sucks. I wish my Gotway had the handling of my Ninebot S2. That thing is AWESOME when it comes to handling. So I KNOW that this is solvable, somehow.

• 1 month later...

I have the same thing with my V8. I have a post about it. Even tried another V8 of Jason McNeil and does the same thing. You just have to get used to it. You will! Enjoy! I would love to try an ACM16 but apparently nobody sells them in central London. Cheers

Yes I get this problem too, it's a little bit of a headache but each time this happens I have to...

1) Stop.

2) Turn off wheel.

3) Tilt the wheel forward 3-5 degrees (whatever your preference) and hold.

4) Turn wheel back on to re-calibrate.

You probably use this method already; then if not, I hope it helps. 

On 3/8/2017 at 2:49 AM, MaxLinux said:

My IPS wheels do this too. Like Smoother, I also don't think it helps the turn. Like Smoother, I also did not like it at first, but I am used to it now.

My Ninebot does it too. Like you, I don't think it helps the turn.  I am used to it, but I still hate it.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this problem with my IPS Lhotz, and I eventually contacted IPS. They had me do a recalibration and the behavior completely went away!  Now it the pedals stay horizontal when I turn, no matter how sharply. Try a calibration. 

4 hours ago, Shoe73 said:

I had this problem with my IPS Lhotz, and I eventually contacted IPS. They had me do a recalibration and the behavior completely went away!  Now it the pedals stay horizontal when I turn, no matter how sharply. Try a calibration. 

Please tell more! Did you do just a regular calibration from the IAMIPS app, or something more? Did you calibrate it to be exactly level?

Archived