Minipro firmware 1.4 update

2 hours ago, Se[BBB]e said:

Ah, great to know! I mean they're minor issues so I can live with them if 1.1.7 has a better riding experience. But if 1.4.0 is just as good or better, I'd rather update. There might also be some safety related bug fixes.

Unluckily,  in my experience,  nobody could be the best judge other than yourself ;)

Unlucky again you cannot rollback the update process,  so once you've updated you only will go forward. .:(

My best suggest consists into find someone who has done the update near you and ask him/her to let you try to ride that mini pro ;)

Only riding yourself you can feel the measure of the differences B)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ozpeter said:

... and then you've got to be sure their settings are the same as yours and also does the so called AI feature make any difference when swapping riders?  It's all a tricky business...

Good point, I think not all of the minipros are created equal. Different batches, different cell wear etc. too many variables...

Yes it's true

Les than 6 différents modèle for mini pro when it was released last novembre 2015 (Australia. Korea. Usa.Emirates.europa and japan )

New serial production too since Last june 

We can see differences starting from official FCC Pictures and actual desmantle video finding on Ecodrift Youtube by exemple 

Well if the difference is so small that it starts to rely more on the AI tweaking, motor variation between batches etc, then I think 1.4.0 is fine :) currently on 1.1.7 I'm enjoying a nice constant top speed of 18 km/h, so I'm afraid of losing that. Although, even on 1.1.7 there is room for improvement. The beeping could be lessened and the leanback could probably be improved too. I'd prefer the silent smooth leanback of the Segway i2 as you're approaching the max speed.

1 minute ago, Se[BBB]e said:

...The beeping could be lessened and the leanback could probably be improved too. I'd prefer the silent smooth leanback of the Segway i2 as you're approaching the max speed.

That would be ideal. I wonder why they've done it right on Ninebot One and not miniPro...

On 2/28/2017 at 1:37 PM, Bradford said:

Hi everyone.  I'm new on here, but have had my minipro since Thanksgiving.  Since then, I've logged 433 miles on mine, traveling all over the Sarasota area.

I was going out on a ride this morning, and was about 1/4 mile into the ride when a notification popped up on my phone that firmware update 1.4 was available.  I stopped right there and downloaded the update.  Once done, I proceeded on a 16+ mile ride. Yes, there is a way to extend the range up to 20 miles without stopping or recharging, but I will talk about that later.  As for the firmware update, these are the changes I noticed:

The biggest complaints I've had, along with probably many of you, is the beeping and tilt back, so I'll answer that one first.  This has been reduced dramatically.  It will beep if for the same reasons as before, but now it does not seem to beep anywhere near as frequently.  I lost track of how long I went without a single beep.  It was music to my ears.  I felt with the version 1.3.1 that the beeping was excessive.  From my 1 hour 45 minutes on the minipro, that can no longer be said.

Going hand in hand with the beeping is that awful tilt back.  You will still get it, but it is nowhere near as dramatic as it was before.  The tilt back now feels very subtle, almost not noticeable at times.  Before I felt that the tilt back could be so extreme as to cause a dangerous riding situation.  Now though, it no longer detracts from the riding experience.

The other complaint I had was the top speed limiter.  It seems like it might have been raised a little bit, but minimal.  I could hit 11mph before the speedometer on the phone would begin to flash red.  Even then, it did not beep or tilt back at all.  It was at an indicated 11.5 mph that I would get the beeps.  At that point, or slightly above 11.5 mph, I experienced a very subtle tilt back and slowing.  For a point of reference, I'm 6'1" and weight 190 pounds.  Your results may very depending on your weight.

Most of all, the word I kept coming back to in describing the new firmware update is SMOOTH.  Everything feels more smooth and polished with this update.  Acceleration feels more smooth, turning feels more smooth, slowing and reversing.....you guessed it, smooth.  I did not feel engagement/disengagement when starting and stopping.  It just feels right.  It most likely contributed to my not feeling as tired.  Normally after riding about 20 miles, I feel a bit beat up.  Granted I did just over 16 but still felt very fresh.  I may go out and do 20 later just to confirm any difference in fatigue, but the minipro is currently charging at the moment.

So in summary, this latest firmware is a very nice and noticeable improvement.  I wish they would raise the top speed to 15mph, but understand why they don't.  It would be nice to have that option though, and maybe we will get that option with a future update.   For now though, my hat is off to Segway for this much improved update.

So how did you extend the range to 20 miles?

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2017 at 10:37 PM, Bradford said:

Most of all, the word I kept coming back to in describing the new firmware update is SMOOTH.  Everything feels more smooth and polished with this update.

Is it smooth like 1.1.3 or different kind of smooth? I personally had an issue with version 1.2.2 — it was too rough. My legs had been hurting already after a four kilometres. However, then I did downgrade to 1.1.3 and everything became smoother. My pain was gone. I wonder, if new 1.4 has that smoothness and if I will buy new mini pro and upgrade it my legs won't hurt.

I, unluckily thought that buying a new mini pro, other than find one from an old stock, you'll find it with an almost new firmware release on board. ..:unsure:

For the one like me that still love and have 1.1.7 buying a new mini pro could be a problem. ..<_<

What is so good  about 1.1.7 that makes it so much better than 1.4 to some people?  I'm happy with 1.4.  I have never ridden previous versions though, so I have nothing to compare it to.  For me it's smooth and safe and I have no complaints.

4 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

What is so good  about 1.1.7 that makes it so much better than 1.4 to some people?  I'm happy with 1.4.  I have never ridden previous versions though, so I have nothing to compare it to.  For me it's smooth and safe and I have no complaints.

Thank-you. Lol

I have been going to ask the same question. There is almost as cult around 1.1.7 it is some kind of holy grail in the world of Mini Pro. Haha

I think many are too sceptical to ninebot firmwares in general and they have a point. But it is a little placebo over the while 1.1.7 version. I do find both 1.3.1 and 1.4.0 a very stable, safe and nice to ride firmwares.

1 hour ago, Vik's said:

I think many are too sceptical to ninebot firmwares in general and they have a point. But it is a little placebo over the while 1.1.7 version. I do find both 1.3.1 and 1.4.0 a very stable, safe and nice to ride firmwares.

Thanks! Maybe it might be a little bit in people's heads? Just maybe?

Hard to know.  There's a small number of users who find that 1.4.0 is a massive change from 1.3.1 but why that should be, when most users find almost no difference (it seems), I can't explain.  I can only wonder whether they were not actually on the real 1.3.1 before - some kind of difference between the displayed version and the installed version.

I think that the most annoying problem about firmwares is the NO ROLLBACK Option so if for any reason a firmware is less suited in a personal ride style against a previous release,  you are forced to keep it, loosing,  sometimes,  the real ride pleasure.... and regret you in having done the update. ..:(

I think that the user must have the chance and the ability to choose forth and back whatever better suit his tastes and riding style B)

Either the max speed should be a user choice !!! B)

Each new release is deemed by Segway to be safer than the one before.  They can't provide the means to install a version of the firmware which they believe is less safe.  (of course you may disagree!).

Segway is clearly trying to make sure that its customers get the best riding experience from their product. Happy customers equal good reviews and good reviews means increased sales. With all the bad press "hoverboards" have received they can not risk getting dragged down into that mud. 

Surely....

But this way,  either many old users like me, start become annoyed by these protective and restrictive firmwares,  so or still remain on old firmware,  or start to looking for hacks or look around for other products. ..

I hate tilt back function for uphill and max speed advice like either biping annoying alerts. ..

I think it comes down to the design intent of the device.  I don't think they intended it to be "sporty", but instead they thought of it as an alternative to walking which would be less effort, able to cover a distance which many people wouldn't think of walking, and about as quick as a non-athletic runner.  I do agree that on ideal surfaces, with no obstructions (including people!), you do wish it would go faster, but in "real world" journeys in typical urban / suburban situations, there are so many stops/starts/slows due to the environment that going faster wouldn't actually mean a significantly quicker journey.  For instance, in London I believe that average car traffic speed is 10mph, even though of course cars are capable and permitted to travel much faster than that.

And it is a "mini" device - a significant increase in speed might mean larger motors and battery, perhaps even a stronger frame to cope with increased stresses, and you'd end up with... a full size Segway.

Quite often I find myself just gliding along quite a bit slower than the miniPro maximum speed, taking in the air, looking around me, smiling at passers by, just taking a motorised stroll.

I get both sides of this really. Sure safety is important absolutely. But at the same time there is a line between safety and being overly protective. 

I would like to see the software "police" the rider. If you ride well you get rewarded with faster speed unlocked, even if just an extra couple mph. 

3 hours ago, Ozpeter said:

.........For instance, in London I believe that average car traffic speed is 10mph, even though of course cars are capable and permitted to travel much faster than that.

And it is a "mini" device - a significant increase in speed might mean larger motors and battery, perhaps even a stronger frame to cope with increased stresses, and you'd end up with... a full size Segway.

Quite often I find myself just gliding along quite a bit slower than the miniPro maximum speed, taking in the air, looking around me, smiling at passers by, just taking a motorised stroll.

This paragon almost cover my concern. ...

Like ALL cars have a max speed much more high against the real average traffic speed and all depends by the driver to manage the speed all over circumstances,  either these devices MUST have the possibility to be managed in function of the traffic or in any case circumstances. .. letting them to have a decent max speed (25Km/h could be enough imho) and letting them to be managed over the circumstances by the rider as a driver do with a car.

Having a max speed of 25/30 doesn't mean to go always that speeds...

Having a car that has a max speed of 200Km/h doesn't mean that the driver always drive it at that speed... I'm sure that almost owners never really reached those high speeds...

3 hours ago, zugu said:

Having a car that has a max speed of 200Km/h doesn't mean that the driver always drive it at that speed... I'm sure that almost owners never really reached those high speeds...

Good point for sure. 

Has anyone thought to appeal to Ninebot about this?

As we can learn from EUCs, 30 and even 40 kmh available doesn't stop people from hitting the max speed constantly... Sad but true - if minipro got 25 kmh speed, then too many would be at that speed at all times and quitr a few would grt injuries and faceplants. Let's not forget that ninebot have to make the unit safe for every customer and that includes people up to and over 100kg.

9 hours ago, Vik's said:

......and that includes people up to and over 100kg.

Are you speaking about me....:ph34r: gotcha !! 98Kg. ..:unsure: .. lol....:D

They have to make a business decision - will they sell more for having a reputation for excessive safety, or for having a reputation for a fast ride and a lot of accidents (to riders and, worse for reputation, members of the public)?  In fact, it wouldn't have to be a lot of accidents - one young man who tragically went under a bus on his "hoverboard" in London a year or so ago made news worldwide, whereas I don't doubt that on the same day hundreds of people died in other traffic accidents around the world without getting a mention.

Archived