Minipro firmware 1.4 update

Hi everyone.  I'm new on here, but have had my minipro since Thanksgiving.  Since then, I've logged 433 miles on mine, traveling all over the Sarasota area.

I was going out on a ride this morning, and was about 1/4 mile into the ride when a notification popped up on my phone that firmware update 1.4 was available.  I stopped right there and downloaded the update.  Once done, I proceeded on a 16+ mile ride. Yes, there is a way to extend the range up to 20 miles without stopping or recharging, but I will talk about that later.  As for the firmware update, these are the changes I noticed:

The biggest complaints I've had, along with probably many of you, is the beeping and tilt back, so I'll answer that one first.  This has been reduced dramatically.  It will beep if for the same reasons as before, but now it does not seem to beep anywhere near as frequently.  I lost track of how long I went without a single beep.  It was music to my ears.  I felt with the version 1.3.1 that the beeping was excessive.  From my 1 hour 45 minutes on the minipro, that can no longer be said.

Going hand in hand with the beeping is that awful tilt back.  You will still get it, but it is nowhere near as dramatic as it was before.  The tilt back now feels very subtle, almost not noticeable at times.  Before I felt that the tilt back could be so extreme as to cause a dangerous riding situation.  Now though, it no longer detracts from the riding experience.

The other complaint I had was the top speed limiter.  It seems like it might have been raised a little bit, but minimal.  I could hit 11mph before the speedometer on the phone would begin to flash red.  Even then, it did not beep or tilt back at all.  It was at an indicated 11.5 mph that I would get the beeps.  At that point, or slightly above 11.5 mph, I experienced a very subtle tilt back and slowing.  For a point of reference, I'm 6'1" and weight 190 pounds.  Your results may very depending on your weight.

Most of all, the word I kept coming back to in describing the new firmware update is SMOOTH.  Everything feels more smooth and polished with this update.  Acceleration feels more smooth, turning feels more smooth, slowing and reversing.....you guessed it, smooth.  I did not feel engagement/disengagement when starting and stopping.  It just feels right.  It most likely contributed to my not feeling as tired.  Normally after riding about 20 miles, I feel a bit beat up.  Granted I did just over 16 but still felt very fresh.  I may go out and do 20 later just to confirm any difference in fatigue, but the minipro is currently charging at the moment.

So in summary, this latest firmware is a very nice and noticeable improvement.  I wish they would raise the top speed to 15mph, but understand why they don't.  It would be nice to have that option though, and maybe we will get that option with a future update.   For now though, my hat is off to Segway for this much improved update.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the review. I updated one of my 3 miniPROs, and noticed no difference whatsoever from 1.3.1 to 1.4. Still a fairly aggressive lean back under beeping, and no other noticeable changes in terms of WHEN it beeps. I can't speak for range since I haven't ridden it enough since the update.

@WilliamG

Thanks ;)

So, unluckily,  same kind of shitty things:rolleyes: personally,  still stay with 1.1.7 on my mini pro ;)

Really hope in future to see and buy a new mini Pro with 1000w each one peak motor power (2000w total peak Vs the actual 1600w), a better battery to sustain the 2k peak motors without loose in miles range, No tilt back annoying factor as soon as I start to climb ramps or uphill. .:angry: , a Top Speed increased to 25km/h :wub: and, very important,  No changes in weight and dimensions !!! B)

This one could be my machine and "prothesis", forever !!! B)

Just on the basis of a five minute ride, I'd say the new firmware is a subtle improvement of the previous version - maybe the leanback was slightly less aggressive (though I must say I had little problem with the old version) - apparently the braking regeneration has been improved to provide longer range, but of course that might not be obvious unless you are following the same route every day.

At this point with thousands of users out there, it would be rash of Ninebot to make radical changes for fear of causing accidents.  If they wanted (to take an unlikely example) to add 5mph to the top speed, they would probably do that progressively over three or four firmware updates.  Likewise with updates affecting the :"feel" of the MiniPro - which seems to be the change implemented this time - radical change would be risky,

Hopefully I'll be able to try a longer run later today.  27 degrees - centigrade! - is pretty ideal...

Well, I've just tried 3km over familiar suburban territory, and personally I wouldn't be sure there's any difference in leanback - it seemed to happen about as much as usual and under normal circumstances, but perhaps the actual leanback was a bit more "damped" than before - but I wouldn't swear to it.

What I did notice - or so it seemed - was that the MiniPro was less affected by transverse slopes than before.  Part of my route this afternoon took me along a cycle path beside a railtrack - it's exactly one Km - paved with very large concrete slabs.  These have been laid so that they drain to one side, so the whole way along you're leaning to one side slightly.  This of course makes no difference to cyclists, but hitherto I have found a tendency for the MiniPro to want to turn uphill (so if the slope is high on your left and low on your right, the MiniPro drifts slightly left unless constantly corrected).  Just now as I neared the end of that stretch, I realised that I had not needed to correct my course in the same way.

The remainder of my short trip was along pavements which can slope up and downhill and sideways in places - all along I felt that I wasn't having to do much to keep going in the desired direction - it just generally felt more stable and safer.

Or maybe I'm kidding myself.

Anyway, so far I have no complaints about this firmware version and at this early stage, I'd recommend it.  Cautious users may want to wait a few weeks to see what others think!

@Ozpeter

Thanks ;)

Anyway,  personally,  due it's impossible at now do any kind of firmware rollback:angry: I prefer to stay with my 1.1.7 forever:rolleyes::D

Hi everybody ?

@Ozpeter 27 is good for a ride, im waiting spring come soon here france riding with 11 or 15°c it's making short ride, 

@zugu me too i keep my v117 forever ? like that my mini will be collector version and one future day i will sell it very cost,,,, no i keep it like that ?

14 minutes ago, jojo33 said:

@Ozpeter...........

@zugu me too i keep my v117 forever ? like that my mini will be collector version and one future day i will sell it very cost,,,, no i keep it like that ?

The really problem that causes me concerns and fear is if in a near future me or you will need to use the official assistance and support for a fault or to repair something. ...:unsure:

Surely while support will fix the faults and will done the repair,  unluckily they will update our mini to the last version available at the moment. ...:angry::furious: I bet on it... :crying:

So really hope to NEVER need to send my mini to support for repair. ... otherwise I'll lost our dear 1.1.7..... :crying:

8 hours ago, zugu said:

The really problem that causes me concerns and fear is if in a near future me or you will need to use the official assistance and support for a fault or to repair something. ...:unsure:

Surely while support will fix the faults and will done the repair,  unluckily they will update our mini to the last version available at the moment. ...:angry::furious: I bet on it... :crying:

So really hope to NEVER need to send my mini to support for repair. ... otherwise I'll lost our dear 1.1.7..... :crying:

Mine mini is n3m240 (not a pro), imported directly from china, i don't have any after sale service

but

we have a lot of tutorial for DIY repair all, now

many users post their own technical tutorial, and all issues known are on youtube or forum (or in my blog https://mini-j.jimdo.com/home/mini-technical/repair/

and many parts like motherboard , bluetooth module, battery tire and motor-wheel, front light are selling now everywhere , but i observe price are really cost now, in last 6 month prices increase a lot

If you don't want any issue with your firmware, me i used an old apk version, like that i think don't received a forced downloading

@jojo33

Great,  man as usual,  your support and suggestions are always useful ;)

I stay with 3.5.1 apk from the 1st day I bought my mini Pro last May/16 B) and will never update either this:D

Regarding service repair,  consider I have 2 years of official warranty by the Italian retailer;) plus, must say, I'm both lazy but, either and overall, NOT a champion of the DIY:unsure:..

Last month, for example, I had to replace the tires due one got a hole by stone:( no way to repair,  and I let do the tires replacement to a bike service because I haven't adequate tools but  not wants and able to do it....:pooping::whistling::thumbup:

In my case, I must be assured, if I will send my mini for services,  That Nobody will take the decision to update my 1.1.7 firmware,  otherwise I must choose for unofficial service that will do what I asked to !!! ;)

59 minutes ago, zugu said:

@jojo33

Great,  man as usual,  your support and suggestions are always useful ;)

I stay with 3.5.1 apk from the 1st day I bought my mini Pro last May/16 B) and will never update either this:D

Regarding service repair,  consider I have 2 years of official warranty by the Italian retailer;) plus, must say, I'm both lazy but, either and overall, NOT a champion of the DIY:unsure:..

Last month, for example, I had to replace the tires due one got a hole by stone:( no way to repair,  and I let do the tires replacement to a bike service because I haven't adequate tools but  not wants and able to do it....:pooping::whistling::thumbup:

In my case, I must be assured, if I will send my mini for services,  That Nobody will take the decision to update my 1.1.7 firmware,  otherwise I must choose for unofficial service that will do what I asked to !!! ;)

Tire are the most big issue with mini 

They are repair kit at 10 euros 

Change tire is hard but many was exist 

MINI-J Videos selection: DIY (repair, custom...) : here playlist tutorial video

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhVRys3hQ4zfwwirZ7lpRasKtkYsqJXXe

I v seen in 9bot italia you have an assurance for replace if stolen or broken

And into forum members are always ready to help you

Me too Im not mécanicien technical but I learn

The best info I've got from Segway about this upgrade - so far - is 

"The firmware 1.4 update improves the riding experience, enhances the energy recovery algorithm for longer range and clarifies the battery capacity value noted under battery information. "

Today I went for a shortish ride down a steep hill to a local park which has very undulating terrain, and I didn't get a single leanback or beep going down or back up.  Admittedly I wasn't pushing it, but still, its silence was encouraging.

I guess it's possible that after a firmware upgrade, the "AI" feature has to re-learn your riding style, which might make it a bit touchy to begin with, and then it might relax a bit with less leanback and beeping after some distance or time.  That would explain why the original poster had a very good experience on a long run, and others including me were not so aware of differences on shorter runs.  Just a wild guess...

For sure...is known,  that every firmware update start a new auto learning period by the machine that will try to be "intelligent", understanding and anticipating the rider style and reactions to his moves ;)

So... never judge a release after only few miles or time.... ;)

i suggest you all, after each update to make a factory reset (and after a tire presure re inflate action too) 

and make a soft ride for 30/40 minute trying, carefully with the field, without exceed the speed limit

it's my personal suggest

• 2 weeks later...
On March 6, 2017 at 6:21 PM, zugu said:
On March 7, 2017 at 4:07 AM, zugu said:

@jojo33Regarding service repair ... NOT a champion of the DIY:unsure:..

Last month, for example, I had to replace the tires due one got a hole by stone:( no way to repair,  and I let do the tires replacement to a bike service because I haven't adequate tools but  not wants and able to do it....

I wrote about my success with a handy dandy anaerobic glue I bought.  It's a quick DIY -- either clean the area and apply the glue to the hole and 1) use the fill product to seal it (repeat if it ever wears out) or 2) glue a rubber patch that's just big enough over the leak.  So easy, a caveman could do it. ;)

(See 

3 hours ago, 4NC said:

Thanks ;)

Unluckily,  my hole was positioned precisely on the tire border where going up and down the sidewalks,  street holes etc.. even cured with a good and well placed patch,  still continue into loose air in 2 days or more...:rolleyes:

Full tires replacement was the drastic and definitive cure...B)..:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm I wonder whether I should go from 1.1.7 to 1.4.0. I'm having some small issues with the device when it comes to assistance mode and such. Sometimes it will keep spinning the wheels when lifting it, and sometimes assistance mode doesn't engage properly. I also feel like there is some improvement to be had when it comes to the leanback, but it's a bit unclear whether 1.4.0 is an improvement or not.

33 minutes ago, Se[BBB]e said:

Hmm I wonder whether I should go from 1.1.7 to 1.4.0. I'm having some small issues with the device when it comes to assistance mode and such. Sometimes it will keep spinning the wheels when lifting it, and sometimes assistance mode doesn't engage properly. I also feel like there is some improvement to be had when it comes to the leanback, but it's a bit unclear whether 1.4.0 is an improvement or not.

I would say it is up to you. But if you are not happy with your current fw, then I would give it a og and update to latest version. If I remember right , assistance mode not engaging correct and overpowering (resulting in faceplant) were of main problems with 1.1.7 and are most probably corrected in later versions 1.3.1 and 1.4.0

Ah, great to know! I mean they're minor issues so I can live with them if 1.1.7 has a better riding experience. But if 1.4.0 is just as good or better, I'd rather update. There might also be some safety related bug fixes.

Archived