Inside a Monster (half-view)

So I had to take the control board side cover of my Monster off as the magnet that holds the foot pedal up had come lose.  I spoke to my seller and we didn't want the magnet shorting  something out so I got a chance to get a peek inside one side.  

I always wondered why the Monster would lean towards one side when the power was off now I know.  On the controller side there is an 800Wh battery and the controller.  I am assuming that the other side has two 800Wh batteries thus the small weight difference.  Anyway for those who are interested here is the inside:

IMG_0856.jpg.3931ba8bd40f82c3822110d8ebb6e762.jpg

As for the magnet, the glue around the edges holding it in place was pretty thin.  It is now Gorilla glued and Gorilla taped in place on the back cover.

Don't let this little hiccup steer you away from the Monster.  I find it is an awesomely fun wheel to ride.

Great picture and thanks for posting. Would you be willing to post a larger version? When I click on the picture to enlarge it I get the same small view. I'd love to take a closer look.

Any tips on removing the cover - oh, and it's not necessary to remove the pedals as is necessary with many other wheels?

Opened mine up a few times now too.

You don't need to remove the pedals, as in @Merrittous MonoWheel's pic,.... pretty sure all current Gotway line is this way.

The only trick is to pull like hell, as the double-sided tape on the batteries are pretty strong and stick to the inside of the case.

Also, don't make the same mistake I did in thinking you have to remove the side pads (ala KingSong), as this is not necessary. No un-screwing is needed under the pads, only the outer bordering screws.

13 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Opened mine up a few times now too.

You don't need to remove the pedals, as in @Merrittous MonoWheel's pic,.... pretty sure all current Gotway line is this way.

The only trick is to pull like hell, as the double-sided tape on the batteries are pretty strong and stick to the inside of the case.

Also, don't make the same mistake I did in thinking you have to remove the side pads (ala KingSong), as this is not necessary. No un-screwing is needed under the pads, only the outer bordering screws.

on the Msupers you must remove the pedal....as 2 screws from the shell are laying exactly behind it.

14 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

on the Msupers you must remove the pedal....as 2 screws from the shell are laying exactly behind it.

Sure about that? 

I know the vids all show the pedals being removed, but you don't HAVE to, as the pedals can be lifted up to unscrew (same as Monster, 2 screws under), and the pedals' bases are not fully enclosed within the cover (like the inner circle of a doughnut), but rather the cover forms an open U, easily allowing removal of cover sans removal of pedals.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Great picture and thanks for posting. Would you be willing to post a larger version? When I click on the picture to enlarge it I get the same small view. I'd love to take a closer look.

Any tips on removing the cover - oh, and it's not necessary to remove the pedals as is necessary with many other wheels?

@Marty Backe here is a larger version of the picture.  Hopefully this works better for you.

The cover was easy to remove just a series of phillips screws.   The pedals can remain in place and do not really impede access.

IMG_0856 (1).jpg

2 hours ago, Merrittous MonoWheel said:

@Marty Backe here is a larger version of the picture.  Hopefully this works better for you.

The cover was easy to remove just a series of phillips screws.   The pedals can remain in place and do not really impede access.

Yes, that's much better. Looks like a neat installation, and room for more batteries. I bet they could have sold a 3000wh version :dribble:

46 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, that's much better. Looks like a neat installation, and room for more batteries. I bet they could have sold a 3000wh version :dribble:

Now that is an interesting concept, another 600Wh. I will wait until I actually run out of battery on a trip before I think about modifying.  I plan on talking an 80km trip along a mountain pass to go visit a friend this summer.  The pass has quite a few elevation changes that might prove challenging for the 2400Wh capacity and my weight . It should be fun if I can do it.  At least now I know that there may be a chance to expand.

Nope, no room for more batteries.

This post made me curious, so opened up the other side, per below pic.

Looks like the 2400WH Monster is 3 ~800WH packs in total, seemingly connected in series (as the wiring looks that way).

MONSTER_2400WH_SIDE_B_720.jpg.dbf149a5e15f8b3558f53847e6fe7dbf.jpg

13 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Sure about that? 

absolutely!

i just take a look again...there are 2 screws, which hold the panel, which are under the pedals, and there is no way to reach them without getting the pedals away!

10 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Nope, no room for more batteries.

This post made me curious, so opened up the other side, per below pic.

Looks like the 2400WH Monster is 3 ~800WH packs in total, seemingly connected in series (as the wiring looks that way).

MONSTER_2400WH_SIDE_B_720.jpg.dbf149a5e15f8b3558f53847e6fe7dbf.jpg

Awesome.  It does look pretty full in that side.  I was thinking adding some padding around the batteries to make sure they were secure but there does seem to be much room for that either.  I guess if we ever need more capacity we would need more efficient batteries.  Thank you for look.

3 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

absolutely!

i just take a look again...there are 2 screws, which hold the panel, which are under the pedals, and there is no way to reach them without getting the pedals away!

Ok, I believe you, but just out of my curiosity and the benefit of the forums, can you post a pic? Thanks!

1 hour ago, Hansolo said:

There is 2 fans

Oh yeah, I just remembered that the Monster has a fan, but I don't see it in the picture. Is it under the control board?

Cool. And two fans is certainly interesting. The hot weather season is fast approaching so it'll be interesting to see how they hold up.

3 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Ok, I believe you, but just out of my curiosity and the benefit of the forums, can you post a pic? Thanks!

Sure, in the photo you can see one of the screws....the other on hides perfect..

And no....when setting the pedal to upward position, you also can not reach it :-)

i now opened my V3 about 4 times...no way to do it without pedal unmount....

Otn5oPS.jpg

3 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Ah, interesting, thanks! (and that sucks BTW).

If I were you, I might be tempted to just leave those screws off~

naah, those 2 are the only one downside....and i dont want to grap to much dirt inside....

but at all this pedal is gone in 30-45 seconds :-)

30 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Sure, in the photo you can see one of the screws....the other on hides perfect..

And no....when setting the pedal to upward position, you also can not reach it :-)

i now opened my V3 about 4 times...no way to do it without pedal unmount....

Otn5oPS.jpg

intelligent engineering looks different

Archived