My wheel only works now with charger plugged in...

Nexxus

Hi Everyone,
Last night I fell off my ewheel at top speed (18 -20km/ph) and it tumbled down the footpath.

Now it doesn't work anymore when tilted forward or back, a little rev, then cuts out, then beep then rev then cuts out,  beep, and so on...

Oddly, when plugged into the charger, the light stays green but flashes red for a microsecond each 1-2 seconds.

Also, when the charger is plugged in, the ewheel operates normally, all the beeps a normal, it revs and runs as normal!

When you remove the charger again it starts beeping and little mini revs, etc...

I don't know how to go about fixing it/ getting it fixed in Australia...

Any ideas you guys have would be greatly appreciated...

images.jpg

Also, when the charger is plugged in, the ewheel operates normally, all the beeps a normal, it revs and runs as normal!

I don't know how to go about fixing it/ getting it fixed in Australia...

It sounds like there may have been a wire knocked loose. If you know someone who is handy with bicycles or small appliances, they can probably manage to open up the unicycle and check for loose connections. It isn't too complicated to do, just take a bunch of pictures as you go so you know how to put things back together.

@Nexxus

Hope you're ok after the fall.

Your assessment of the problem is most probably correct. If the charger can wake up the wheel, it's a wiring problem within the battery pack : see the pack schematics in my BMS (battery management system) post.  While you have it opened, since your wheel is not very common, do you have some more pictures to publish of its internals, for example the BMS or the mainboard ?

You may be aware of the sudden cutoff by the BMS too and how to make a shunt to preventively solve the problem : http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/459-electric-unicycles-bms-problem-and-solution/

Thanks Hobby16, yes I managed to catch myself during the fall, but not the ewheel, unfortunately.

We taped the little loose connector bracket thing (you can see black electrical tape in the photos) on the battery pack, and the ewheel still operated normally when the charger is connected.

However, when the charger is not connected, the unicycles 's behavior has changed.

It used to rev and beep, etc, and cut out etc, but now when you first switch it on it beeps once, then nothing. dead. no little revs, or other beeps.

If I switch it off and on again, it won't beep, and is dead, nothing, no revs or beeps, however after a couple of hours it'll beep again once if turned on again. and so on. 

Likely the battery had more charge when it was revving originally but the power is almost fully depleted now, after testing it and trying to fix it.

Anyway guys, here are all the  photos, tell me if you need close ups or anything specific, etc.

I can't see any further damage to the battery or wiring etc.

20150719_143608.jpg

20150719_143535.jpg

20150719_143432.jpg

20150719_143425.jpg

Thanks Hobby16, yes I managed to catch myself during the fall, but not the ewheel, unfortunately.

We taped the little loose connector bracket thing (you can see black electrical tape in the photos) on the battery pack, and the ewheel still operated normally when the charger is connected.

High currents here, so a tape is clearly not enough. You must solder the loose connection to made perfect contacts before retrying, otherwise, the spurious contact will induce spurious currents and may kill the mainboard because of voltage spikes generated by the motor's inductance. If in doubt, take measures with a voltmeter and report it like @cg here : http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/626-generic-oem-unicycle-a2/?do=findComment&comment=6130

Also shunt the BMS by soldering B- to P- with a big wire (red line). BTW, nice pictures, thank you. I add them to my collection.

ewheel_shunt.jpg

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to let everyone know that I had this same problem. I hit a bump and the wheel took a tumble. I have a tg t3 and it would not turn on or charge. When plugged into the wall it worked perfectly. I took it apart and found that one of the brackets connecting each battery cell had popped lose. I reconnected the bracket and now I am back in business riding around and everything works as normal. Very happy :) 

Archived