Could a modified EUC be ridden on a "Wall of Death"?

Jonathan Tolhurst

I'm not sure which model Vee (EUC Extreme) rides in those videos, but at some point he did get custom-built mainboards from the factory which had shut-off at something like 60 or 65 degree tilt-angle, not 45 like the "vanilla" boards.

2 hours ago, Frode said:

I have however felt it slowly tilting forward when turning at very slow and sharp turns. I don't really understand why this happens, but my guess is gyro drift for some reason (I havent tried to figure it out).

I don't know if it's on purpose (ie programmed to the board) or some effect of the gyro drifting, but I have had this happen on other wheels too. My first thought was that it was to make turning easier on slow speeds (at least I think it's easier to turn at sub-walking speeds if the pedals lean in a bit)...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Mono said:

This is a behaviour some wheels have and others do not. I don't quite see how and why that would be related to forward-backward accelerations. 

As I said: I don't understand why this happens [either].

4 hours ago, Mono said:

It seems however to contradict your original claim that forward-backward tilt is determined based on the vertical earth surface alignment with only long-term corrections for the earth movement.

This is "long-term" correction. It only happens when I continuously run a distance (several meters) over these kind of bumps. It will very slowly tilt forward, over seconds. Until I slow down. Mostly (only!) on rough gravel roads.

Btw: As I think it is: The EUC will not align itself to the earth. It will try to orient itself so it gets the same measurements from the accelerometers as it had when you last run the alignment procedure. If you had it aligned to the earth's vertical during this procedure, and the EUC is not accelerating, it will align itself to the earths vertical. If it is under acceleration over time, it will align itself to an offset from the earth's vertical. That is why it must (should) have a reasonably long time constant (seconds) when aligning itself to the vertical. Otherwise you would have nasty experiences every time you hit a bump, a stone or whatever.

1 hour ago, esaj said:

he did get custom-built mainboards

That would of course help a lot :D

1 hour ago, esaj said:

My first thought was that it was to make turning easier on slow speeds

Could be. But to me it poses a problem. It tilts so much that my shoe touches ground in sharp turns. I also think it tilts mostly when turning to the right. I have however not tested that too much. As you say: it only happens at slow speeds for me to.

38 minutes ago, Frode said:

This is "long-term" correction. It only happens when I continuously run a distance (several meters) over these kind of bumps. It will very slowly tilt forward, over seconds. Until I slow down. Mostly (only!) on rough gravel roads.

I have experienced this behaviour as well. IIRC I also found it to be dependent on battery status. Therefore my suspicion was that it is related to the energy demand it takes to climb the cobbles. Other energy demanding situations also lead a softening forward titling behaviour.

2 minutes ago, Mono said:

my suspicion was that it is related to the energy demand it takes to climb the cobbles

Interesting! I will take a note on that. I have never thought of checking this against battery status. I'll have to wait for the snow going away though. In the mean time I am mostly spending time in the woods, hiking with snowshoes (or sometimes back-country skis). :D

15 minutes ago, EUC Extreme said:

n the video you can see that my EUC can run almost horizontally.

You mean when it is lying on the ground and it sounds like it is still spinning the wheel? For example at about 2:15?

Yes. However, it turns off when it falls to the horizontal position. But if not, then it does not exhaust itself soon. But because the ring going round in circles without resistance, it turns off.
My use of this function is a must. Otherwise, I can not, for example, motocross track to drive properly inclined sections.

45 ° the shutdown is dangerous in my opinion. I have often fallen because when the device is turned off suddenly.
It's not nice.

1 minute ago, EUC Extreme said:

45 ° the shutdown is dangerous in my opinion.

For you I would agree. For me? I'll never reach that angle (without falling anyway) :D

3 minutes ago, EUC Extreme said:

I have often fallen because when the device is turned off suddenly.
It's not nice.

I think I can understand why that is not so nice. On the other hand, it looks like there is much Finnish sisu on work there... :P

7 minutes ago, Frode said:

For you I would agree. For me? I'll never reach that angle

Preferring to be on the safe side, I still would consider 45º angle to the earth gravitation as being a little too close to what is reachable by a non-extreme rider under non-extreme circumstances.

13 hours ago, Mono said:

I have experienced this behaviour as well. IIRC I also found it to be dependent on battery status. Therefore my suspicion was that it is related to the energy demand it takes to climb the cobbles. Other energy demanding situations also lead a softening forward titling behaviour.

I wrote about this several times. It happens to me at any battery level, in fact many times at full or very full battery.  My suspicion is also related to power levels, but not battery so much but available power of the motor ( in other words the reserve capacity of the motor not the battery) to overcome an even greater obstacle than the repeated bumps the control board is "feeling" through the the constant power adjustments it is making to keep you upright.  I think ( and this is only my theory, but based on hundreds of meters at a time on very rough cobble stone paths or long sweeping down hill corners, or both) ) that by tipping the pedals forwards the CB is forcing you to slow down (because it's hard to ride like that over cobbles or down hill, or around a corner, feels very unnatural ) and by slowing you down, it has a bigger power reserve to punch you over that one extra big cobble, or in my case, through, where a cobble stone once was, but is now just a big concrete hole, that momentarily, stops the wheel dead, until it recognises your body continuing to move forward ( through the pedals) and sends more angry pixies to the motor to power you forward.  There's more time to do this when travelling slower.  Ask me how I know.  Oh, Thanks for asking.

the other day I was about to cross from one smooth surface to another, on the same level.  No biggie right? Wrong.  You see there were women ( why did it have to be women?) walking on the other smooth surface, so I had to cross further down, behind them near where these parallel surfaces ended, and not in my usual spot, somewhere nearer the middle.

at about 15kmh, what I didn't notice was that these two level surfaces WERN'T level near the ends, only around the middle.  Well you can all write the next bit yourselves, can't you! At 15kmh the wheel hit a 4cm edge and stopped long enough for me to start my low level flight.  I did manage to run it off, despite being old and out of shape.  The women, who had just passed through, were not impressed, but I got no sympathy either, boo hoo. ? Maybe I should have hit the dirt hard, instead.

At lower speeds I might have made that unseen edge with a huge wobble and a lot of flapping, but at 15kmh I was a runner before I even knew it ??

i hade one observation, after this incident, I'll call it " the next 2 seconds" and put it in EDIT.   A new thread titled "The Next Two Seconds", with pictures.?

Archived