KS App/Firmware Improvements Suggestions! NEED YOUR VOTE!

Electric Dreams

Adjustments needed for Firmware V1.23   

35 members have voted

1. 1. Speed should not be reduced at 50%

• Yes, I agree. Speed should not be reduced at 50% and only at around 20%/25%
    • No, 50% is good right now
  2. 2. User should be able to choose between which alarms are on and off and which ones come first between: Beep, "Please decelerate" and Vibrate/Shake

• Yes more customizations please!
    • No, its fine the way it is right now
  3. 3. Lights should be save last setting: On and always On unless stated otherwise, OFF unless stated otherwise and AUTO (using the light sensor) unless otherwise changed

• Settings need to be saved for lights!
    • Settings are fine the way they are!
  4. 4. Rider to have the option of locking lights in place and not alternating

• Rider should have the ability to not let it alternate
    • Alternating is fine
  5. 5. Kingsong Wheel does not "spin out" when you lift it off the ground instead the wheel stops?

• Wheel should not spin out
    • Wheel should continue to spin

13 minutes ago, Frode said:

have a hypotesis of why this happens also. When hitting each bump it will generate a small spike in the speed (a small and abrupt speed reduction each time you hit the facing wall of a bump) that in turn will be registered by the accelerometer as if the gravitational arrow - usually pointing straigh down - is pointing a little forward.

That makes sense. Though it seems there is a way to avoid this, as some wheels down have this problem. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 23.2.2017 at 7:24 AM, Bryan Wells said:

the KS18-A has some of the worst "bump reaction" i have felt in a wheel, it wants to tilt forward bad when a lot of bumps are hit

Maybe something like this :

I have two KS18 and one of these the second battery pack second battery mains plug it was cold soldering ! It has three battery packs and the problem was a second battery plug.

If, however load increases in the first battery, however, this will not be enough to maintain the voltage . then just it plug overheated and these two battery packs did not help .

Another thing I've noticed :

If drive  slow speed in very soft terrain which is also the sodding shall and using a soft mode, KS18 do not use the entire power capacity !! when the soft mode is stuck, with even too hard to force and will give up, then in hard mode rotate effortlessly over obstacles !  In normal driving conditions, it difference does not feel . Only the slow driving uphill with sodding shall !  My 92kg and 1,91m,  In hard mode, If the wiring and batteries is okay, the pedals has never tilt forward !

UPDATE:

After speaking with Tina(a KS representative) she told me to kindly speak with Carey (engineer at KS) since I spoke mandarin we had no language barriers.

All comments were thoroughly explained to Carey and he tentatively listened and responded. 

1. Speed should not be reduced

We can increase the speed to not allow any speed drops after 50% for KS16-a/b/c 

Available in the next firmware update v1.25  to be made AVAILABLE TODAY (Feb 27, 2017)

HOWEVER it is not possible for any other KS-14 and KS18 wheels due to the safety factor. Carey went on to explain how the wheel would not withstand aggressive accelerations if the speed limit drops.

2. Customizations on Alarms

Carey understood and will try to implement these.

However Alarms 1 and 2 can be turned off when set to 0

3. Light setting should save

The light setting can not save due to the way the motherboard on the wheels are engineered. However it is possible for the newer KS wheels (KS16s).

For existing KS16 wheels you may turn on the bluetooth and if the lights are on quickly push the bluetooth button (whilst its on) for around 1 second to turn off the lights.

4. Lights locked in place/ not alternating

Carey said this is doable and will be put out soon.

5. Wheel does not "spin out" when lifted off the ground

Not possible due to the engineering of the trolley handle. Because there is no sensor for the handle the wheel can not come to a stop when lifted off the ground.

6. More customizations on pedal tilt

Was considered

7. Bluetooth Password 

Understood by Carey

8. Rename KS device name

Understood by Carey

9. Headlights

Brighter lights are available on the newer KS wheels

More Flashing options for existing wheels will be considered 

10. Firmware updates consume more power

Carey said that this is definitely not true. It may appear as such on Wheellog because the wheel has faster acceleration due to the new V1.23 update.

38 minutes ago, Jack Frost said:

UPDATE:

After speaking with Tina(a KS representative) she told me to kindly speak with Carey (engineer at KS) since I spoke mandarin we had no language barriers.

All comments were thoroughly explained to Carey and he tentatively listened and responded. 

1. Speed should not be reduced

We can increase the speed to not allow any speed drops after 50% for KS16-a/b/c 

Available in the next firmware update v1.25  to be made AVAILABLE TODAY (Feb 27, 2017)

HOWEVER it is not possible for any other KS-14 and KS18 wheels due to the safety factor. Carey went on to explain how the wheel would not withstand aggressive accelerations if the speed limit drops.

If they feel the wheel won't "withstand agreesive accelerations if the speed limit drops",  couldn't they limit the amount of acceleration between 50%-25% instead of dropping the max speed down to 25 kph?

Thank you @Jack Frost. Any chance you could ask if they plan to add some sort of locking functionality ? For instance a hole in the wheel shoul allow to attach it, or a key would allow to activate alarm. Whenever the wheel moves and the alarm is on, it would beep.

7 hours ago, abinder3 said:

If they feel the wheel won't "withstand agreesive accelerations if the speed limit drops",  couldn't they limit the amount of acceleration between 50%-25% instead of dropping the max speed down to 25 kph?

I think you got it wrong...you can not limit the acceleration...

If you lean heavy in the wheel...it has to!! produce a certain amount of amps( and lower voltage means even more amps than amps on more voltage) to keep you and the wheel upright.

you can not limit this ....as you would than faceplant, also, as you are overleaning the wheel.

so it seams that Ks14 and 18 need more energy on higher speeds....than the Ks16.

And as this energy is to high for a low batterie, they have to reduce the speed.

@Jack Frost

So the new 1.25 Firmware is no speed limiter anymore for the Ks16's???

i wonder because it is not even mentioned in the change log?

12 hours ago, abinder3 said:

I will ask and let you know how Carey responds. 

7 hours ago, Spiken said:

Anything about removing the "Hello Kingsong" ?

The "Hello Kingsong" is removable through the App already. 

6 hours ago, Slel said:

Thank you @Jack Frost. Any chance you could ask if they plan to add some sort of locking functionality ? For instance a hole in the wheel shoul allow to attach it, or a key would allow to activate alarm. Whenever the wheel moves and the alarm is on, it would beep.

I personally dont see the point behind a locking function. I will ask in the next meeting with him.

5 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

I think you got it wrong...you can not limit the acceleration...

If you lean heavy in the wheel...it has to!! produce a certain amount of amps( and lower voltage means even more amps than amps on more voltage) to keep you and the wheel upright.

you can not limit this ....as you would than faceplant, also, as you are overleaning the wheel.

so it seams that Ks14 and 18 need more energy on higher speeds....than the Ks16.

And as this energy is to high for a low batterie, they have to reduce the speed.

@Jack Frost

So the new 1.25 Firmware is no speed limiter anymore for the Ks16's???

i wonder because it is not even mentioned in the change log?

Give the new firmware a test it was just released so proceed with caution. It should be. I'm not sure what Carey set as the speed decrease but I guess around 20%

1 hour ago, Jack Frost said:

Give the new firmware a test it was just released so proceed with caution. It should be. I'm not sure what Carey set as the speed decrease but I guess around 20%

unfortunatly i have no Ks16.....in the moment :-)

@SeabirdHH

can you check?

from my observation v1.25 on ks18:

doing fine...perhaps again a bit better braking ability!!!

but perhaps my feelings got me wrong on this

3 hours ago, Jack Frost said:

I will ask and let you know how Carey responds. 

Thanks Jack.
(If he isn't willing to do that maybe have the max be 33kph at 50%.  At least that way we can still keep up with most wheels when they're at 50% battery.)

Allen

11 hours ago, Jack Frost said:

Carey's response: He knows of the issue about orange LED , it will be working normally in the new App update. coming soon

@Jack Frost 

Do you know the closed Facebook "wheelies" Group? Thomas Hoon-Selling KS- over there is stating that the new V1.25 did NOT have a significant better Speed Management...

He says he is in personal contact with KS, too, and gives the following numbers, when Speed reduce sets in:

KS14D - 61%
KS18 - 58%
KS16 -55%

So it would be nice if you can confirm or ask Carey or whom ever over at KS what are the true Facts now....

I think KS has to learn, that this is Kind of Management is a real ugly "Show stopper" for much People thinking of buying a KS!!!!

It is ridiculous to get the announced Speed only on the good first third of Batterie life and not more!

Now i dont know what to believe, one tester has reported a Speed reducement at 30%......One of the biggest KS sellers in Asia said the exact opposite.....

Would be nice to have more testers give Feedback :-)

3 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

@Jack Frost 

Do you know the closed Facebook "wheelies" Group? Thomas Hoon-Selling KS- over there is stating that the new V1.25 did NOT have a significant better Speed Management...

He says he is in personal contact with KS, too, and gives the following numbers, when Speed reduce sets in:

KS14D - 61%
KS18 - 58%
KS16 -55%

So it would be nice if you can confirm or ask Carey or whom ever over at KS what are the true Facts now....

I think KS has to learn, that this is Kind of Management is a real ugly "Show stopper" for much People thinking of buying a KS!!!!

It is ridiculous to get the announced Speed only on the good first third of Batterie life and not more!

Now i dont know what to believe, one tester has reported a Speed reducement at 30%......One of the biggest KS sellers in Asia said the exact opposite.....

Would be nice to have more testers give Feedback :-)

I'm not going to keep bothering Carey with repetitive questions. There have been other riders that have updated and reported the same thing I have. I've been on the update for two days and like I said the only improved 30km/h range is for the ks16.  I stated that above.... 

I have just noticed that after the upgrade to V1.25  the wheel does not want to reconnect to the wheelog app any more - before it was automatically connecting with no issues to my Galaxy Note4 phone, now - when You switch the wheel off - and on again - it will not connect any more to wheelog. Oryginal (not so pretty) KS app must be starter, and only after it reconnect to the wheel - wheelog can connect again.  I understand that this is 3rd party software - but before it was connecting nicely always with no issues, and now it DOES NOT.

also - in V1.23  - wheel was easily discovered by phone immediately after it has been turned on - now from time to time it does not show up - so BT communication had been modified in some way.

This is also an issue with the original  app - wheel must be turned on BEFORE the software - if in other sequence - software show SCAN , and sometimes it does not find the wheel BT

So - Dear KINGSONG - please publish new application, or check the BT communication for changes/new bugs in V1.25

As the short summary this is not only the problem of the orange lights.  Those small bugs worry a lot, as we have no knowledge if big (safety related) bugs had been shaken out or not. IT IS DEADLY dangerous to fall on the asphalt at 30km/h !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In fact - in such public guinea-pig tests - as we in fact are doing beta-tests now -  it should be the option to REVERT to previous version of the firmware PLEASE. 

From engineer Careys comment that KS is reducing speed because at faster speed “the wheel would not withstand aggressive acceleration”. With that logic, the new 2000w ks18 would need a further speed reduction because at 2000w, hard acceleration would take even more current from the battery. The new ks18-2000w wheel would need the speed reduced to 30km/hr at 70%, not 56% like the 1200w due to the high current demand in hard acceleration of that wheel. So with this logic that KS is using, the max speed can only be used at the top 30% of the battery. It would be far better to sense excessive voltage drop and give a warning beep before the battery poops out. That way you could reduce your acceleration appropriatly without a crippling speed reduction which will make the new 2000w wheel less usefull. With the 1200w wheel you can at least go 31km/hr at 56% according to mark321, instead of 30km/hr at 70% with the 2000w wheel, and then further reduction in speed after that. The 2000w wheel will only go faster than the 1200w wheel between 100% and 70%. Then it will be slower than the 1200w wheel.

This safty issue must be related to the voltage drop but when you check the app while riding you can see that the battery percentage drops when accelerating and increases when braking. Same as the voltage.

also a 1360wh battery should hold the voltage much better than a 680wh battery.

Archived