Battery bars on V5f+ question

Mrd777

1 hour ago, travsformation said:

Today I checked my battery level on WheelLog at the top of a steep hill, 80% of which involved hard braking

[...]

it appears that hard braking does in fact regen.

or that your braking was not that hard. Hard braking means in my books that you come to a halt very quickly. That is, without accelerating in between you can do it for at most a few seconds. That is, you can't do hard braking 80% of your riding time if you ride for more than 5 seconds, AFAICS.

1 hour ago, travsformation said:

Based on this, one should start to "worry" when the red bar starts blinking then, right?

I try to avoid to get that low, got to the blinking only once or twice. In any case, if you always keep in feel-and-touch with the wheel and listen to it attentively there is nothing to worry about.

GDay again, I think I can help with the downhill overcharge alarm/cutout thingy. If I charge my wheel to full at uni, on the top of a hill (great views) then race down to catch a bus or train, then my V8 forces me to stop, exactly the same as low battery. Im talking hard, grinding noise braking the whole way ( 115kgs, 20-25 degree hill, maybe 300m, not far but always nail-biting) It beeps same as low battery or maximum speed (Ill change it soon to differentiate between, the voice one is too frustrating and weird, "someone just spoke somewhere but what did they say??") and tilts back so far that the road and your pedal forms a "V" with my size 12s across the top and heels dragging on the road. very disconcerting, even more so than on flat and really hard to stay on, closest ive been to an outright crash. happened a few times now in the same place under the same circumstances, one of those things that I had to convince myself was my treatment of the wheel and not the wheel failing on me to gain the trust to ride hard. I ride around a little first now and havent encountered it since thankfully. But it definitely alarms and didnt ever cut out even after me taking ages to stop so it must have a buffer or tolerance built in somewhere

First time I thought the battery had died and the display was lying and  the charging hadnt worked but turning it off and on and going back up the hill a bit then walking down fixed it. Also I get some phenomenal regen down big hills, if it acts as a turbine then extra weight on it must give it a real boost:) if I forget my charger on a long ride then I can catch public transport up in to the hills and roll back down. I am exaggerating there I get a few percent anyways, once 13% according to the crazy IM app but its way more than I would expect. I would love to get some real technical info on these things, if there is anyone here thats up on these things I'd love some borderline gibberish to go translate/study...?

@Elzilcho Same thing here. Yesterday was the first time that, leaving home with a full battery and heading down the hill (I'd probably done about 100m) I got the V8's default "overload, please get off" alert (I found that turning up the speaker volume helps, even though it scares the crap out of passers-by every time I get a max. speed alert) :D This was easily fixed by turning around and going back up to the top of the hill again. Had no issues or warnings going down.

About the regen, yeah, I'm thoroughly impressed too. I've got up to 8% regen from a single, 1 km hill. I even get regen when hard braking, which I didn't expect based on what I'd read. Living in a hilly area definitely has its advantages, as you can adapt your route based on battery level (or, as you said, take public transportation to the top of a hill and charge your wheel on the way down). On yersterday's ride, I left home with 100% battery and took the 10 km scenic routee to the town centre. There are several daunting/battery-gobbling uphills, but most of the way it's downhill. I got to the centre with 89% battery (which is perfect because it's mostly uphill on the way home). Based on that data, on predominantly downhill routes I could get a range of 90 km + on this thing :thumbup::efee612b4b:

6 hours ago, Elzilcho said:

according to the crazy IM app

That's working for you? I ditched it on the second day day because it was scoffing up my phone's battery at a crazy rate (even when not open). I was getting more range out of the V8 than out of my phone... :D I find WheelLog gives equally useful data (if not more), and has none of the issues, bloat or random Chinese text... :efee612b4b:

About the voice (you do have to use the official Inmotion app for that), my suggestion is to record voice clips from a funny friend (or your girlfriend). When I fall off of mine, it says "Careful, you ****!". I haven't changed the default max. speed warning, but have something like this in mind (without the Eminem bit)  :efee612b4b:  The possibilities are endless... https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=slow+down

Im glad to hear that Im not the only crazy person here at the V8 abusers club :D 

Ive had absolutely no problems whatsoever with the IM app, it just sucks royally is all! the segway app is leagues better than IM or wheellog for useability but theyre all lacking really. WheelLog has some great logs tho, I love it. Most of the ride tracking/planning apps Ive downloaded here dont work either unfortunately so Im stuck with these and google.

The IM app is just crazy though, all unnecessary and none of the useful settings or logs, and the bloody mileage resets every time bluetooth disconnects! Why doesnt the wheel log it and report back to the app like the ninebot?? it doesnt seem to affect my battery one bit, maybe its a different version? it looks different to the ones ive seen on vids from europe for example.

Im keen to play with the alert sounds, I really wish it had a horn somewhere though, I think thatd be better than clearing my throat right behind people and watching them jump.

Better...? more dignified maybe :) Soooo many things to keep me procrastinating riiight up to my exam... :rolleyes:

Archived