Griffith Park Group Ride - Sat Mar 4th 2017

Marty Backe

Join us for a group ride around Griffith Park, including a visit to the Observatory. Anyone with a wheel that has a range of ~12 miles should be able to enjoy the first part of the ride.

The weather is predicted to be warmer and dryer for this period.

We will meet at 9am in the parking lot just north of the Greek Theater: https://goo.gl/maps/qB6YQa7VaAA2   If the lot is full because of some other event, you should be able to find parking in the surrounding neighborhood if necessary. But we will still meet at the Google Map coordinates.

Respond to this announcement if you can join us and we will be sure to wait for you.

@jrkline @noisycarlos @Questor @nbxpq3 @Sketch @Roll Model @enigma35 @csmyers @swvision @abinder3 @captainwells

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still having some problems starting out from a stop without looking like I'm flapping my arms and trying to fly.
(Starting on even a slight upward slope really gives me problems.)

Hopefully, I'll have practiced enough by the 4th so that I don't embarrass anyone on the riding.

I can see it now. "Him????  We don't know him.  He's not with us."

:D

3 hours ago, abinder3 said:

Still having some problems starting out from a stop without looking like I'm flapping my arms and trying to fly.

Hopefully, I'll have practiced enough by the 4th so that I don't embarrass anyone on the riding.

I can see it now. "Him????  We don't know him.  He's not with us."

:D

No worries, I know a few side paths so we'll be able to ditch you if need be ;)

When I first discovered and started riding Griffith park I still wasn't the most confident starter. You won't have any problems. It really is a fun place to ride.

Hey Marty,

My inner tube should arrive before March 4. Popped my inner tube at the valve stem so it can't be fix, totally my fault trying to impress some girls... Look abinder3, the thing is that when you try to impress people bad things happen. I use my arms all the time to relieve leg pain. When you balance using your legs only on long trips, you'll get super tired. But when you rely on your arms and legs to do the balancing it distributes the stress load in a balanced fashion as well. Anyhow, just "popped in" to say I'll be there. @abinder3 nice to have you join the flock.;) 

@Marty Backe ever thought of offering EUC riding classes to students interested in learning?  You could charge a few bucks per lesson, and I think it would be fun to hold some evening training classes and then do like weekend trips touring the area with the students.  One drawback might be students who would crash and scratch up your rides.  They would have to be well padded I guess.  Then again, considering how litigious it is in some parts of the US, I guess waivers would need to be drawn up and signed...

1 hour ago, abinder3 said:

Me too, but I think it's mainly that the wheel works much better starting on level ground, and rider skill does not help that.  Sometimes I take off sideways to the slope to get moving, then turn uphill and it helps a lot.

15 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

@Marty Backe ever thought of offering EUC riding classes to students interested in learning?  You could charge a few bucks per lesson, and I think it would be fun to hold some evening training classes and then do like weekend trips touring the area with the students.  One drawback might be students who would crash and scratch up your rides.  They would have to be well padded I guess.  Then again, considering how litigious it is in some parts of the US, I guess waivers would need to be drawn up and signed...

He could be a tour guide, for people who already know how to ride and have their own wheels.  More money, less liability.B)

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

No worries, I know a few side paths so we'll be able to ditch you if need be ;)

We I first discovered and started riding Griffith park I still wasn't the most confident starter. You won't have any problems. It really is a fun place to ride.

:roflmao:

1 hour ago, swvision said:

Hey Marty,

My inner tube should arrive before March 4. Popped my inner tube at the valve stem so it can't be fix, totally my fault trying to impress some girls... Look abinder3, the thing is that when you try to impress people bad things happen. I use my arms all the time to relieve leg pain. When you balance using your legs only on long trips, you'll get super tired. But when you rely on your arms and legs to do the balancing it distributes the stress load in a balanced fashion as well. Anyhow, just "popped in" to say I'll be there. @abinder3 nice to have you join the flock.;) 

Yeah, I read about your tube failure on Facebook. I posted a couple of additional sources for tubes, for future reference. It'll be interesting to hear your story of how trying to impress some girls caused your tube to pop - did I just write that? :blink1:

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

That would be (potentially) fun. However, you talk like there's a line of people just waiting to learn - wish we had that problem :(

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

He could be a tour guide, for people who already know how to ride and have their own wheels.  More money, less liability.B)

I'm now working on documenting all of the possible Southern California EUC friendly routes. They will all be available via Google Earth.

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

Me too, but I think it's mainly that the wheel works much better starting on level ground, and rider skill does not help that.  Sometimes I take off sideways to the slope to get moving, then turn uphill and it helps a lot.

That's the best strategy for starting on even steep hills. As long as you have a ~6 foot wide path to work with you can start by riding across the path so that your slope will be zero degrees.

On 2017-02-24 at 6:44 PM, Marty Backe said:

That would be (potentially) fun. However, you talk like there's a line of people just waiting to learn - wish we had that problem :(

With the nice weather (well minus the flooding) down there, you'd think this "greenish" form of personal transport would take off with the Prius and e-vehicle going crowds.  It's always a shock to see how many large groups there are in France going on tours.  When I first saw a video on Youtube of a euc rider I knew pretty well instantly that I wanted one.  It's just the coolest thing.  I don't know why it's not as popular over here yet.  

Maybe people just can't find easy ways to buy them locally that is putting them off.         Perhaps printing out some pamphlets with purchase info to hand out on rides might help open up some doors for others to join in on the fun.  I sort of like being the only one in my area riding one, but then again it would be fun to see more people enjoying the sport and going on group rides.

With the nice weather (well minus the flooding) down there, you'd think this "greenish" form of personal transport would take off with the Prius and e-vehicle going crowds.  It's always a shock to see how many large groups there are in France going on tours.  When I first saw a video on Youtube of a euc rider I knew pretty well instantly that I wanted one.  It's just the coolest thing.  I don't know why it's not as popular over here yet.  

Maybe people just can't find easy ways to buy them locally that is putting them off.         Perhaps printing out some pamphlets with purchase info to hand out on rides might help open up some doors for others to join in on the fun.  I sort of like being the only one in my area riding one, but then again it would be fun to see more people enjoying the sport and going on group rides.

Just about every week I'll have more then a passing discussion with someone, where they ask a lot of questions. Maybe it is growing. There are people that have been riding for awhile and just now discover this forum.

For instance, @captainwells appears to be new to the forum (we'll be riding together next weekend), but look at his collection that he just posted

IMG_4949.JPG

Clearly I've got nothing on him :)

I know what you mean. If EUCs become popular we will lose the cool factor.

Perhaps printing out some pamphlets with purchase info to hand out on rides might help open up some doors for others to join in on the fun.

That's a good idea, I think Speedyfeet does that with wheels they sell, the buyer hands them out and gets a finders fee if someone else buys a wheel.

@Marty Backe that looks like a store display, is he selling or is that his personal collection?:o

Just now, steve454 said:

That's a good idea, I think Speedyfeet does that with wheels they sell, the buyer hands them out and gets a finders fee if someone else buys a wheel.

@Marty Backe that looks like a store display, is he selling or is that his personal collection?:o

Those are his riders - I'm humbled

18 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Clearly I've got nothing on him :)

I know what you mean. If EUCs become popular we will lose the cool factor.

Nawwww, we'll never lose the cool factor.  B)   We're the early pioneers of this interesting sport, and we'll always have that first kid on the block rights to it.  ;)

Hi all, I'm planning to meet with the Group this weekend too, and I only got a kingsong 14c & Ninebot e+, if I can't keep up or the paths/trails too hard, then I will turn back. I'm going to buy a KS18 1680wh, but still waiting for Jason at ewheel to advise regarding kingsong will change not to have 50% battery speed limit to 30km/h.

1 hour ago, Ando Melkonyan said:

Id love to join you guys. Not sure if my mcm4 has the speed or range to keep up with your wheels but id like to come out and meet you guys either way. 

The more the better.
It will be my first time with a group, but I'm looking forward to it.

I'm getting use to my new KS18 and I'm loving it.  Tuesday morning, I went for a 20 mile ride on it in about 1 hour 36 minutes.  Went up the Ballona Creek bike path near Marina Del Rey, came back, 'jumped onto the Marina Del Rey bike path to Venice Blvd and turned around (didn't feel like dealing with traffic that time of the day), and then back to Playa Del Rey.  I was thinking about going longer, but the headwinds and crosswinds out of the north were pretty wicked duing the whole ride.  A few of the times, I must of gotten up to 25mph because I hit the '4 beeps' alarm for max speed that I had set and the app actually showed 26mph. (don't know if that's correct though)

Definitely was a lot bumps in the bike path along Ballona Creek.

53 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

The more the better.
It will be my first time with a group, but I'm looking forward to it.

Definitely! My first time also. Ive been riding for a little over a year now and so far havent ran into any other riders in Glendale so im pretty excited.

I ordered a 1300wh ACM from Speedyfeet on Feb 13 but still no sign of it. I was hoping it would arrive before we meet but hopefully someone at the meet will have one and maybe ill get to compare it to the msuper and feel better about my decision to go with the ACM ? 

3 hours ago, Ando Melkonyan said:

Id love to join you guys. Not sure if my mcm4 has the speed or range to keep up with your wheels but id like to come out and meet you guys either way. 

The mcm4 will have no problems, trust me. This is mountain riding so there are very few places where some of us might go fast for a little bit. These roads/trails have been ridden successfully with the most basic ($200) type wheel. If you have a 12 to 15 mile range you'll have fun for a couple of hours for sure. Look forward to meeting you.

1 hour ago, nbxpq3 said:

Hi all, I'm planning to meet with the Group this weekend too, and I only got a kingsong 14c & Ninebot e+, if I can't keep up or the paths/trails too hard, then I will turn back. I'm going to buy a KS18 1680wh, but still waiting for Jason at ewheel to advise regarding kingsong will change not to have 50% battery speed limit to 30km/h.

The 14c is a great wheel (I own one) and a few of us have ridden it around Griffith Park. Assuming that you have the 600+ wh version you'll have plenty of range and power for the day.

Archived