Short Whine and Assistance Request on NB1 E+

dpong

I'll stop the whine shortly.  But I will whine presently. 

Received my Ninebot One E+ via UPS today.  She's a beauty.  I have been riding the AirWheel X8 for over 3 months now, so any comparisons relate back to that.  I was surprised how very different the Ninebot feels in comparison to X8, in terms of higher foot pedals, and the different angle I have to use to mount.  But I dig the apparent speed and power difference that E+ has over the AirWheel X8.  I'm sure I will adjust, and looking forward to really enjoying this thing over time. 

Whine One:  I don't like the power port design - where the power attaches to the wheel - very much at all.  It is extremely fragile and I managed to *fix* it so that the little prongs don't want to go into the little holes anymore.  I managed to get myself in this situation about an hour after receiving it.  Now, I can not properly seat the plug into the wheel.  If I position it just so, contact seems to be made because the charger shows the red light indicating it is charging.  However, this seems a potential hazard?  Fire-wise?   I have a couple of questions of the board.  1) IS this as dangerous as it seems to be?  -and- 2) What is best fix?  Will a new charger likely work - as it seems most likely that the little prongs are likely bent (and not the holes)?  I was able to seat the plug a few times before I "broke" it.  Any thoughts appreciated. 

Whine Two:  I see SpeedyFeet riding these things off-road over mud, gravel, etc.  I have a gravel driveway.  The first time I rode down my modest gravel driveway, I got a piece of gravel stuck in the machine somehow.  Now as I ride there is a sound of scraping, like *scrape*, *scrape*, *scrape* as the bit of gravel grinds away at something that I hope is not too important. :)  The Airwheel always used to throw gravel out rather quickly.  The E+ wants to hold onto it.  So question about this whine:  How to easily enough de-gravel a Ninebot One E+ ??   Do I need to take it apart?  I've tried shaking it, and bouncing it.  Is there a de-gravel procedure?  Again, any thoughts are welcomed. 

Whine Three is not really a whine, but rather something unexpected that the wheel does.  I have ride mode set to 0, tire pressure at just under 50psi.  I can only compare to the AirWheel X8, however during my very short riding experience so far, the E+ dips the front of the pedals far more than I'm accustomed to.  Examples are when making fairly (but not extremely) tight little turns the pedals tilt forward more than I expect them to.  Also, sometimes when just riding along at a fairly good pace, the front of the pedals seem tilted further than I would expect.  The AirWheel is always tilting the pedals back during overspeed.  I'm not used to the front pedals really dipping for any reason wherein I didn't need to do an unintended dismount...   So, question here is: Does that sound fairly normal for a Ninebot One E+?  Thanks again.

I'm in cautious mode because I took a nasty spill off the AirWheel X8 probably due to my overpowering it going up a hill.  The main reason I bought the NB1 E+ is to widen the margin of error on battery-life, motor power, torque, range, etc.   So I'm more cautious than usual lately and perhaps more "whiney", too...?

I'm sure I am going to really enjoy this beast as soon as I get a few things straightened out about it.   So far I just haven't had the happy experience that I was hoping for. 

Thanks for listening. 

I'll stop the whine shortly.  But I will whine presently. 

Received my Ninebot One E+ via UPS today.  She's a beauty.  I have been riding the AirWheel X8 for over 3 months now, so any comparisons relate back to that.  I was surprised how very different the Ninebot feels in comparison to X8, in terms of higher foot pedals, and the different angle I have to use to mount.  But I dig the apparent speed and power difference that E+ has over the AirWheel X8.  I'm sure I will adjust, and looking forward to really enjoying this thing over time. 

Whine One:  I don't like the power port design - where the power attaches to the wheel - very much at all.  It is extremely fragile and I managed to *fix* it so that the little prongs don't want to go into the little holes anymore.  I managed to get myself in this situation about an hour after receiving it.  Now, I can not properly seat the plug into the wheel.  If I position it just so, contact seems to be made because the charger shows the red light indicating it is charging.  However, this seems a potential hazard?  Fire-wise?   I have a couple of questions of the board.  1) IS this as dangerous as it seems to be?  -and- 2) What is best fix?  Will a new charger likely work - as it seems most likely that the little prongs are likely bent (and not the holes)?  I was able to seat the plug a few times before I "broke" it.  Any thoughts appreciated. 

No idea on this one I have no problem charging my bot I like the charger, that's just my opinion, since it's so new I would imagine this is covered by warranty though depending where you got it  My question to you is on a 1-10 scale what's the power difference (climbing,acceleration) of the X8 to the ninebot ? 

Whine Two:  I see SpeedyFeet riding these things off-road over mud, gravel, etc.  I have a gravel driveway.  The first time I rode down my modest gravel driveway, I got a piece of gravel stuck in the machine somehow.  Now as I ride there is a sound of scraping, like *scrape*, *scrape*, *scrape* as the bit of gravel grinds away at something that I hope is not too important. :)  The Airwheel always used to throw gravel out rather quickly.  The E+ wants to hold onto it.  So question about this whine:  How to easily enough de-gravel a Ninebot One E+ ??   Do I need to take it apart?  I've tried shaking it, and bouncing it.  Is there a de-gravel procedure?  Again, any thoughts are welcomed. 

I've taken my ninebot up the mountain and out to the lake and gone through tonnes of gravel and stuff and heard the tink tink but it's always spit out whatever has gone in so I'm not sure on this one either, on the plus side the bot is pretty easy to tear down and check out inside.

Whine Three is not really a whine, but rather something unexpected that the wheel does.  I have ride mode set to 0, tire pressure at just under 50psi.  I can only compare to the AirWheel X8, however during my very short riding experience so far, the E+ dips the front of the pedals far more than I'm accustomed to.  Examples are when making fairly (but not extremely) tight little turns the pedals tilt forward more than I expect them to.  Also, sometimes when just riding along at a fairly good pace, the front of the pedals seem tilted further than I would expect.  The AirWheel is always tilting the pedals back during overspeed.  I'm not used to the front pedals really dipping for any reason wherein I didn't need to do an unintended dismount...   So, question here is: Does that sound fairly normal for a Ninebot One E+?  Thanks again.

I'm in cautious mode because I took a nasty spill off the AirWheel X8 probably due to my overpowering it going up a hill.  The main reason I bought the NB1 E+ is to widen the margin of error on battery-life, motor power, torque, range, etc.   So I'm more cautious that usual lately and perhaps more "whiney", too...?

I'm sure I am going to really enjoy this beast as soon as I get a few things straightened out about it.   So far I just haven't had the happy experience that I was hoping for. 

Thanks for listening. 

This is the whine I am here to answer <-sorta.. i have also encountered this and thought it very weird that I get dumped off the front it usually happens from concrete to grass transfers, bigger sidewalk dips, and tight turns for myself. I feel with ride mode 0 it happens more and that its the bot not responding fast enough to the forward motion if that makes sense at all. I've gotten use to it I suppose 

as im a first time EU owner and only own the ninebot one I can't say for other brands but to me this sounds very typical of a one / 

No idea on this one I have no problem charging my bot I like the charger, that's just my opinion, since it's so new I would imagine this is covered by warranty though depending where you got it  My question to you is on a 1-10 scale what's the power difference (climbing,acceleration) of the X8 to the ninebot ? 

I've taken my ninebot up the mountain and out to the lake and gone through tonnes of gravel and stuff and heard the tink tink but it's always spit out whatever has gone in so I'm not sure on this one either, on the plus side the bot is pretty easy to tear down and check out inside.

This is the whine I am here to answer <-sorta.. i have also encountered this and thought it very weird that I get dumped off the front it usually happens from concrete to grass transfers, bigger sidewalk dips, and tight turns for myself. I feel with ride mode 0 it happens more and that its the bot not responding fast enough to the forward motion if that makes sense at all. I've gotten use to it I suppose 

as im a first time EU owner and only own the ninebot one I can't say for other brands but to me this sounds very typical of a one / 

Hi popcorn,

I appreciate the response.  I haven't had the Ninebot long enough to tell you the difference.  I'm being very cautious, so I suspect it will take a week for me to have an answer on the power/speed difference.  I will try to come back and reply once I have enough experience with the N.  I can say based on a first impression that I did ride it at what seemed like top speed on the AirWheel (with me riding around 8.5 mph with occasional surges higher on X8) and it seemed to have plenty of power/speed in reserve.  That's all I can say about that so far.  Trying to get the gravel thing worked out before I ruin anything.   Another comparison though, is that on mode 0 the NB1 seems *way* more responsive to minor changes in my body direction.  It is almost too responsive for my current tastes.  But I will try it out some more and maybe experiment with the other settings.  It seems to cut very fast, but that also may be a function of tire pressure.  At just under (or at) 50psi this is on the high end of tire pressure that I'm used to.  45psi on the AirWheel was my preferred.  

Funny, after whining on here about the charge port, I went back in the other room to fiddle with it, and it slid right in and seated.  Maybe she will loosen up a little, but the prongs seem rather dainty (and brittle) to me.  I'll handle it with great care. 

As for the pedal dip, let me restate my expectations from the AirWheel more clearly.  The X8 *never* dipped the pedals to the front in normal operation, not even a little.  I became accustomed to the slight dip backwards when approaching (and running) at max speed.  This dipping backwards was the *only* time I ever felt the X8 not keep the pedals level to the ground.  I wonder if this is a feature or a bug?  When doing a tight turn, lowering the front of the pedals seems like it actually helps a little bit, though it is an odd sensation since I'm not used to that. 

I have enjoyed your posts.  You picked this up *way* quicker than I did.  It took me a while to stand up straight - all sports I played involved a slightly bending forward ready position.  It was hard to break that.  Still recovering (both physically, and mentally) from my spill which bruised some ribs worse than I've ever had before.  The ground doesn't look like it used to.  

[HEY popcorn!  I bounced her around a little more and a fresh little piece of gravel finally popped out! Yah!  Now off to the park!]

Hi popcorn,

I appreciate the response.  I haven't had the Ninebot long enough to tell you the difference.  I'm being very cautious, so I suspect it will take a week for me to have an answer on the power/speed difference.  I will try to come back and reply once I have enough experience with the N.  I can say based on a first impression that I did ride it at what seemed like top speed on the AirWheel (with me riding around 8.5 mph with occasional surges higher on X8) and it seemed to have plenty of power/speed in reserve.  That's all I can say about that so far.  Trying to get the gravel thing worked out before I ruin anything.   Another comparison though, is that on mode 0 the NB1 seems *way* more responsive to minor changes in my body direction.  It is almost too responsive for my current tastes.  But I will try it out some more and maybe experiment with the other settings.  It seems to cut very fast, but that also may be a function of tire pressure.  At just under (or at) 50psi this is on the high end of tire pressure that I'm used to.  45psi on the AirWheel was my preferred.  

Funny, after whining on here about the charge port, I went back in the other room to fiddle with it, and it slid right in and seated.  Maybe she will loosen up a little, but the prongs seem rather dainty (and brittle) to me.  I'll handle it with great care. 

As for the pedal dip, let me restate my expectations from the AirWheel more clearly.  The X8 *never* dipped the pedals to the front in normal operation, not even a little.  I became accustomed to the slight dip backwards when approaching (and running) at max speed.  This dipping backwards was the *only* time I ever felt the X8 not keep the pedals level to the ground.  I wonder if this is a feature or a bug?  When doing a tight turn, lowering the front of the pedals seems like it actually helps a little bit, though it is an odd sensation since I'm not used to that. 

I have enjoyed your posts.  You picked this up *way* quicker than I did.  It took me a while to stand up straight - all sports I played involved a slightly bending forward ready position.  It was hard to break that.  Still recovering (both physically, and mentally) from my spill which bruised some ribs worse than I've ever had before.  The ground doesn't look like it used to.  

I assume I picked this up alot faster than I've read a lot of people because I am an avid backcountry snowboarder and AM skater,  but whenyou say "is that on mode 0 the NB1 seems *way* more responsive to minor changes in my body direction" do you mean turning or do you mean pressure as in speeding up and slowing down, if you mean turning that might also account to your tire pressure, I've been trying to "feel" the difference between modes on the 0-5 scale and the only thing noteable so far is the forgiving-ness of the pedals offroad and response to acceleration I havent noted any turning differences but maybe that comes with control of weight ?? as a lighter push forward on 0 would have your wheel putting out the same-ish amount of power as a harder push on 3, so it would depend the weight used while turning compared to the mode you are in, now im just confusing myself. makes sence in my head anyhow 

OK, now I'll say some confusing things, some of which may be obvious.  Back from the park, rode about 6 miles I think.  Wonderful experience.  This thing is *fast* to me.  I'm still in cautious mode because I don't know the thing.  But the AirWheel is annoying that it constantly pushes back on the pedals and beeps incessantly at what I estimate to be about 8.5 mph.  It may start sooner.  Very annoying.  So that is the speed I'm used to going.  I don't know what top speed I hit on the Ninebot, and I was trying hard not to push it too much.  I did clock myself at 10.5mph at one time, and that is faster than I've ever gone on one of these things.  I may have had bursts exceeding that, but I can't ride around with my EyePhone in my hand all the time, now can I? 

Regarding pedal dipping and different modes, I rode almost solely on mode 0.  Just to try it out once, I did set it to mode 3 just to see.  To me it seemed that the forward pedal dipping phenomenon started much sooner (in speed) and felt more pronounced.  I ceased that ride immediately and went back to mode 0.  

popcorn, I don't think that the dipping could/should be the result of the machine just not keeping up with you.  As I said, the Airwheel *never* did that, and the Ninebot is "more advanced" as they say.  So either it is a design flaw in the software...  or, more likely it is a conscious decision that they made in the algorithm.  It may be a refinement, welcome or not.  I can tell you that when riding the Airwheel on a long ride (for me 3 or 4 miles) there are times when your feet feel like they are pushing unbearably hard on the front of the pedal.  I mean they hurt, but that is what is required to keep the thing moving forward.  Up a hill for example, it felt like my aching feet were pushing the front of the pedal extremely hard.  By dipping the pedal slightly, they may be attempting to lesson foot-fatigue?  This is a wild guess.  It is still disconcerting for me - not being used to that.  Several times I found myself leaning back to slow down to counter the dipping.  Once slowed, the pedals become parallel to the ground again. 

OK, moving on, the Airwheel is way way quieter than the E+.  The engine on the X8 feels 'smoother' somehow.  But I also read that somewhere so I may be reverse-projecting. 

There were a couple of instances where I experienced something that never happened on the Airwheel, perhaps having to do with responsiveness and mode 0.  in the section of the E+ "Quick start manual" there is a section called "Forbidden" and in there it says "Don't swing fore-aft during riding".  I laughed when I first read that, but I think I experienced what they were referring to on my ride.  It reminds me of a problem that some people have when learning to ride Segway and probably electric unicycles as well.  The tendency to lurch forward and then attempt to balance backwards, and then forwards, and then backwards - instead of trusting the self-balancing function.  I wasn't doing that exactly, as I do have some experience riding, but there were times when the unit may have been a bit more responsive than I am used to and I did experience a "power forward" - "power backward" type sensation on 2 occasions.  Man that thing is extremely responsive on mode 0.  But I like it.  :)

[Ah popcorn, I forgot to address the responsiveness in turning.  Yes, I think you are right.  Two things are different from the AirWheel and they are the tire pressure is higher on the NB1 by my hand, and also the thing is heavier by 5 or 6 lbs. which may also contribute to any difference in turning responsiveness.  Makes more sense than "blaming" the software for that. Also, it is a different tire, too.  I guess that's 3 things, then.]

So, I ordered a new charger from Electric Unicycle Online on July 15th.  (Sorry other dealers, I didn't know!)  DHL tried to deliver it today July 22nd.  I should have it tomorrow on a second delivery attempt, hopefully. 

Then I will get to see if it plugs in all the way on the charging port.  I probably damaged my first charger's prongs by incompetent attempts to plug it in, not understanding about the little groove that needs to line up with the little ridge.  (I hope it works!)

In the meantime, I plug the charger into the port (not all the way) and sort of adjust the pressure North, South, East, or West, and when the red light on the charger comes on I attempt to lean the E+ on the power cord in such a way that this position is maintained.  It does charge.  Doesn't feel safe, but it works.  Fingers crossed on the new charger!

Have been riding the E+ every day - and whatever whines I started out with have completely dissipated.  I really love this machine.  

I had already been trained by the Airwheel X8 that at about 8.5 mph one should consider slowing down.  The Airwheel is obnoxious about that with the beeping, etc.  However, having ridden it for 4 months, I recognize what that speed feels like.  Now the Ninebot allows me to go faster than that if desired, but leaves me in charge to limit my own speed.  I have never hit top speed on the Ninebot.  For me, even to go 10 mph is exhilarating.  I'm sure I'll inch it up over time.  For now, I'm all about safety and glad that the NB1 has more to give than I need to exploit.  

Couldn't be happier, basically.  Well, if I had that new charger, and it worked........

I received the new charger and it plugged right in, no problem.  Naturally, they sent me a non-USA cord to go with it.  Luckily I can just swap out the other one, and it works fine.  Just something to think about when you order a charger.  Get the region-specific one.

I received the new charger and it plugged right in, no problem.  Naturally, they sent me a non-USA cord to go with it.  Luckily I can just swap out the other one, and it works fine.  Just something to think about when you order a charger.  Get the region-specific one.

As a matter of fact, they are all the same charger just the cable socket are regional specific but it is the same socket that as many of your home appliance so it is interchangeable easily. It is the best scenario but not a deal breaker for sure.

Mengke

from

wheelyouride.webs.com

• 2 weeks later...

Update on Whine 2, so I don't leave anyone with a wrong impression.   The very first time I rode the Ninebot One E+ down my gravel driveway, it picked up a piece of gravel inside the machine and it continued making a scraping noise.   I had trouble getting it out.  I finally did shake the gravel out.   I was concerned that this would be a continuing nuisance. 

However, now that I have had the NB1, I refer to as "the beast", for a couple of weeks I realize that this is no concern at all.  When I recovered the little piece of gravel I noticed that it had a very unique shape, like a tiny little arrow-head.  It was thin but flat and wide, really shaped like an arrowhead.  Whatever.  The main thing is, that piece of gravel getting stuck in the NB1 was a freak occurrence.  I have ridden up and down the gravel driveway numerous times since then with no trouble whatsoever. 

I didn't want to leave this thread with new readers thinking this was an ongoing concern.  It was a one-off.  

So happy with "the beast."

Archived