Board wiring info needed

Joff

I am a stilt walking entertainer who wants to build a EUC on the end of a stilt. I bought a cheap ebay electric unicycle for around $200. Said "Hurtle" on the side of it. After learning to ride it as is, I took it apart to rebuild it into a form that attaches to my stilt. I wrote down what wires went where, but lost the paper!  I know I have some of them right (power in, led lights, hall sensor) I am not sure about the 3 motor wires.  I have tried them a few ways. Am I risking permanent damage doing that? I turn it off right away when it takes off or makes odd noises. The best combination so far is green on top blue in the middle and yellow on bottom. Then it self balances when I lean it forward, but nothing when leaned back.  I think I have the black and red wires that go to the on/off switch right, as the thing turns on, but I don't know what the blue and white wires from the switch do. I did try the switch plugged into a different spot, that was originally empty, hope it was not some sort of reset. Back of board has a sticker that says SWK02 SWK2-17-4   Thanks for any info and trouble shooting help!

DSCN0444.JPG

Have you thought about the huge amount of increase stress your extended levers are going to put on the motor?

Cheap eucs tend to be underpowered to start with and the further you put the weight away from the pivot point/axle the more power will be required to keep it balanced. 

I'm not saying it won't work but the amount you are able to lean and therefore accelerate is likely to be severely restricted!

Thanks for your reply!

" the further you put the weight away from the pivot point/axle the more power will be required to keep it balanced. " Although that sounds intuitive, it seems to contradict my experience. If I balance a pole vertically on my hand, a long pole is easier than a short one. If I add a weight to the top of the pole it it is easier to balance than adding weight to the bottom of the pole, as I won't have to move as much of that weight to keep it balanced. I am  concerned about turning, as I won't be able to lean into turns much, but tall pedal unicycles manage to turn. As far as I know, it does not take unusual strength to ride a tall unicycle.

Another concern is the weight, but hopefully, I won't have to lift it much. It does take a lot of strength to move a heavy weight on the bottom of a stilt.

I don't foresee the need to make it go fast anytime soon!

On 13 February 2017 at 7:14 PM, Joff said:

Am I risking permanent damage doing that?

Yes, TO YOURSELF !!!  Coming off an EUC is inevitable.  A lot of it is at low speeds and the rider simply stumbles off.  You won't be able to do that. At speed you would have the MOAFP ( mother of all face plants)  I'm sure you are well versed in walking off your falls when doing regular stilt walking, but if your stilts are attacked to the EUC and it has an issue, you're going to be like a soft upside down pendulum hurtling towards the ground, at speed, with your feet attached to the EUC. It will be all over but for the screaming. See the last image in @Jonathan Tolhurst s logo suggestion.  That's you, except with longer legs.

but... If you're still serious about continuing, get a stronger EUC for your act, with a bigger wheel. As @Gimlet said, generics are weak, weak motors, weak batteries, and you need a confident set up.  I wouldn't want to be x feet in the air relying on a generic, especially one I had butchered, and maybe put back together right.  BTW, where was your camera when you were taking it apart? A picture paints a thousand words and all that. 

we haven't had anyone reporting their own EUC related death yet, please keep us in the loop.

but seriously, get some video for us, of you riding. That would be awesome!!

and welcome. 

Glad it sounds dangerous to you! There would be point in doing it as a circus entertainer, it if it looked easy and safe.  I have an airwheel x8,but so far it looks like that extra power and speed will not benefit me as much as being smaller/lighter and easier to turn.  I would get a 12" IPS a130 if I could find one for sale. Has anyone hacked a two wheel hoverboard to make a small EUC?

Archived