Don't forget your charge port cover!

Scully

I very rarely put the charge port cover back on - only if I'm out and it starts raining.... 

Well, today, I took the Gotway down off of the worktop and the string from my jumper (small metal end piece) must have dropped into the charge port - pop, hiss, spark.... 

I have a new charge port on order and hope the mother board is all OK 

#FinalDestinationMoment

16649338_10154108080476459_9142823028316

Thanks for the report. Now I have a much clearer understanding what the diode between charge port and battery is for. This diode I have apparently on my non-Gotway wheels, because on these I can't see the voltage without charging. Can you still charge? 

I wish Gotway would fix this dangerous live voltage at the charge port design.  Someone's going to get severely injured by accidentally touching their ring to those prongs or a kid is going to play with it leading to an accident which will give these EUCs a bad reputation.  We all know what happened to the hoverboard craze.

@Linnea Lin Gotway

On 10.2.2017 at 3:09 PM, Scully said:

I very rarely put the charge port cover back on - only if I'm out and it starts raining.... 

Well, today, I took the Gotway down off of the worktop and the string from my jumper (small metal end piece) must have dropped into the charge port - pop, hiss, spark.... 

I have a new charge port on order and hope the mother board is all OK 

#FinalDestinationMoment

16649338_10154108080476459_9142823028316

Yip!

bad design....on the newer 84Volt Versions...this is not existing anymore..

1. If your wheel fell into water for a second, would that also short the port?

2. @KingSong69 What is the difference between the old and new (84V) ports (besides 4 contacts instead of 3)? They look the same to me, just a bit more to the side (so things can't fall in that easily?)

I also noticed my charge doctor is still on when you remove the power cable and it's just in the wheel (84V ACM)... guess that's just "Gotway style";)

11 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

1. If your wheel fell into water for a second, would that also short the port?

2. @KingSong69 What is the difference between the old and new (84V) ports (besides 4 contacts instead of 3)? They look the same to me, just a bit more to the side (so things can't fall in that easily?)

I also noticed my charge doctor is still on when you remove the power cable and it's just in the wheel (84V ACM)... guess that's just "Gotway style";)

1. That is depending on how salty the water is....

2. 67 Volt is 3 contacts, 84Volt is 4 contacts, so that someone is not able to use the wrong charger

On the 67 Volt Versions the chargeport is under power, so it is no good idea to short it. Also because of that, it is better to first plug in the charger in the wall, and then in the wheel!

Otherwise you get some sparks from the Charge port.

As i heard...i guess it was from @Marty Backe :-)???...the 84 Volt Version did not have this Problem anymore???

BUT: If your charger stays lit, after putting it from out of the wall....there still seams to be power there.....cause if it stays lit, there is still power running through the Charge port!!!

As i dont have a 84Volt Version (yet :-))...i am speaking only from hearsay....so maybe there is still power also on the 84 Volt chargeport and if things run bad (dropping a key or something on the chargeport) bad things can happen!

And yes! Thats GW Style....Kingsong has got rid of this, you can not shorten the chargeport on KS!

There is even a French Store selling a solution as Upgrade to Gotways:

https://store.urban360.com/produit/securisation-port-charge-gotway-anti-court-circuits/

@KingSong69 Thanks!!!

The charger is OFF (no light, red or green) when you disconnect the power cable. The charge doctor is ON when you plug it into wheel only (it shows 84,4V and changes between 0 and 0,01A constantly), so maybe there is a little bit of power still?

I did not test for sparks. But when I reconnected the power, the cable was still in the wheel (accidentally) when I plugged the power cable into the charger and there were no sparks (only the charger did a liiiiiittle sound).

If you click on @KingSong69 link there is a scary video that replicates what @Scully went through, since we can't see what actually happened, since  he was so inconsiderate to not film his near death experience for us all to watch. ? ?????

Here it is again so you don't have to scroll up.

https://store.urban360.com/produit/securisation-port-charge-gotway-anti-court-circuits/

Archived