Almost started BMS battery fire, doesn't all BMS have shortcircuit protection on the charge cables?

Xima Lhotz

9 minutes ago, Slaughthammer said:

The IPS BMS is known to never ever cut power, so I'm not concerned about BMS cutouts any ways.

Yes, i think its fantastic.

9 minutes ago, Slaughthammer said:

Undervoltage alarm of the wheel will kick in at around 3,4V/cell, that is not really a flat battery, as most 18650s are rated for dischrge down to 2,5V! This should also avoid the secondary BMS to cut power, because it's undervoltage threshold is most likely to be much lower.

Ok, good to know, plenty of safety to go around then! Great!

32 minutes ago, Xima Lhotz said:

Oh, hope no-one got hurt!

Everyone's alright, the only resident who was at home wasn't inside the main house, he had just gone outside to get firewood from a storage building. I saw a bit of a yellowish flicker from one of the windows as I was standing in our yard having a smoke, that I first thought was some weird lamp or something, but kept staring at it a bit until I realized it's actually flames and ran there to see if anyone's inside, alerting the guy to come out from storage building, and then called the emergency number... Probably everyone has seen the educational videos how fast a house fire advances, but seeing it in real life is still a bit different matter (it wasn't that many minutes later from the flicker I saw that half of the house was in flames). Apparently the electric mains cabinet, or whatever it is in English, had caught fire :o  No lives lost and no-one got hurt in the least bit (physically, of course material damages are huge), but I'm now a bit paranoid about our electric mains installations and smoke detectors ;)

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2017 at 9:02 PM, esaj said:

Everyone's alright, the only resident who was at home wasn't inside the main house, he had just gone outside to get firewood from a storage building. I saw a bit of a yellowish flicker from one of the windows as I was standing in our yard having a smoke, that I first thought was some weird lamp or something, but kept staring at it a bit until I realized it's actually flames and ran there to see if anyone's inside, alerting the guy to come out from storage building, and then called the emergency number... Probably everyone has seen the educational videos how fast a house fire advances, but seeing it in real life is still a bit different matter (it wasn't that many minutes later from the flicker I saw that half of the house was in flames). Apparently the electric mains cabinet, or whatever it is in English, had caught fire :o  No lives lost and no-one got hurt in the least bit (physically, of course material damages are huge), but I'm now a bit paranoid about our electric mains installations and smoke detectors ;)

Glad to hear no-one got hurt.

Yeah, fire spreads really quickly, had a bit of addiction to matches when i was a kid :-)

I think electrical fires are the 3´d most common cause (i might be misstaken here) after kitchen (stove / cooking) and candles. 

Not fuseboxes though, mostly consumer electronics.

I saw this when i was throwing away some trash in my building, to think that someone of my neighbours are to lazy/cheap to buy a proper extension cord and risk an electrical fire risking all of us living here i can never understand. Its not just him in the building, we all have a responsibility to each other. Really selfish.

58b6c8cf62ce0_Extensioncord.thumb.JPG.a4417dc2233a4f1ea307998834bdf7ce.JPG

Archived