V8 pedal durability

Mono

My V8 has seen much less kilometers of light use and the pedals start showing blank spots already. Seems much less durable than the grip tape used by other brands or the commonly available stuff for skateboards. Should not be such a big deal to replace it though.

28 minutes ago, Tilmann said:

My V8 has seen much less kilometers of light use and the pedals start showing blank spots already. Seems much less durable than the grip tape used by other brands or the commonly available stuff for skateboards. Should not be such a big deal to replace it though.

good to know, then I don't need to blame myself and my relentless usage behaviour :)

Do you have by any chance a pointer for durable grip tape?

5 minutes ago, Mono said:

Do you have a pointer for durable grip tape?

No, sorry. I just bought plain black skateboard size pieces via eBay and used it mainly with my Msuper V1. That lasted >6 months/1000km despite the ribbed surface of those pedals. Even then, it did not loose its grip - eventually it ripped at the edges. For high quality tape, I would turn to a specialty skate store (Berlin has plenty ;)). 

Whatever I used to cut that stuff (scissors, cutter knife) did not like to cut anything else afterward :crying:. Want to try laser cutting eventually...

IIRC, the pedals are indeed not overly expensive. Still I won't be able to bring myself buying new pedals each time the grip coating is falling off. Just not possible.

22 hours ago, Launchpad said:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/search.php?s=WING+WALK+COMPUND&x=0&y=0

Lots of products available for the wing walk area on a low wing airplane.  Any of them should work for the peddles.

Aircraft Spruce.....that brings back memories! Great company! Are you a pilot?

11 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

In a way, will be providing some high quality skateboard grip tape. 

Very good! Thanks!  My pedal grips are still satisfactory but I thought it would be nice to have an OEM replacement as I do like the Inmotion logo depicted on the factory grips!

14 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Aircraft Spruce.....that brings back memories! Great company! Are you a pilot?

Yes I'm a pilot.  That is one reason I have jumped on the EUC bandwagon. I fly my small plane into many small airports and often they are a mile or two out of town.  I have been carrying a folding bicycle but it is bulky and weighs 32 lbs.  My EUC fits perfectly in the plane and weighs less than the bicycle, making it perfect for my uses.  

10 minutes ago, Launchpad said:

Yes I'm a pilot.  That is one reason I have jumped on the EUC bandwagon. I fly my small plane into many small airports and often they are a mile or two out of town.  I have been carrying a folding bicycle but it is bulky and weighs 32 lbs.  My EUC fits perfectly in the plane and weighs less than the bicycle, making it perfect for my uses.  

And I thought EUCs aren't allowed in airplanes, my mistake ;)

@Mono, as a pilot flying your own plane (be it rented, shared, or owned) you can bring whatever you want. It's like the difference between taking public transportation (flying commercial), vs driving yourself.  Pilots have seperate entrances and aren't checked. ?

4 hours ago, Launchpad said:

This would have been perfect back when I was flying. Thought about the folding bicycle like you, but decided it was too heavy to lug around (plus the 100+ degree heat in summer where I'd fly into for work!).

Sold my Cherokee 6 a few years ago so I missed the opportunity to use an EUC for getting around the airports. On the other hand, my pug, "Co-Pilot", wouldn't appreciate me wheeling around while she just watched.

IMG_0030.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Now, this is the right pedal after 800km, I must say I am slightly disappointed: 

pedal2.thumb.jpg.e763a6fade6341b554fd310460800a55.jpg

Does anyone know what the missing screw is for and how it was supposed to stay in place? 

Instead of replacing grip tape over and over again, what about this:

butter some epoxy on the (cleaned and roughened)  pedals, then sprinkle some course grit into it before it sets.

you could even creat a custom pattern.

here are some examples.  Sorry I couldn't find "InMotion" under "pictures of decorative sand"

b2d756143c.jpeg

b2d772a43b.jpeg

3 hours ago, Mono said:

Now, this is the right pedal after 800km, I must say I am slightly disappointed: 

pedal2.thumb.jpg.e763a6fade6341b554fd310460800a55.jpg

Anyone knows what the missing screw is for and how it was supposed to stay in place? 

Slightly disappointed that the pedal is showing wear?  Is this another joke?;)

@Smoother has a good idea about using sand and glue to cover the pedal.  That is common practice on ships to prevent slips.

1 minute ago, steve454 said:

Slightly disappointed that the pedal is showing wear?  Is this another joke?;)

not this time. 

1 minute ago, steve454 said:

@Smoother has a good idea about using sand and glue to cover the pedal.  That is common practice on ships to prevent slips.

A pair of replacement pads (not the original ones) are 15 bucks and there is the option to use skateboard grip tape. I will try to find out which is likely to be the more durable solution. The cheap grip tape I have tried on the blank spots doesn't even last for a week.

Learn from the skateboarders / longboarders (Mob, Jessup, and Grizzly seem to come up often):

(this thread should be called "V8 Griptape durability", no? the actual metal of the pedals themselves are not wearing down right?)

5 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

(this thread should be called "V8 Griptape durability", no? the actual metal of the pedals themselves are not wearing down right?)

right, it probably would just fly off after all screws have been gone.

23 hours ago, Mono said:

not this time. 

A pair of replacement pads (not the original ones) are 15 bucks and there is the option to use skateboard grip tape. I will try to find out which is likely to be the more durable solution. The cheap grip tape I have tried on the blank spots doesn't even last for a week.

Here is my idea.  Use flat bottom shoes with rubber soles.  Glue the grip tape to the bottom of the shoes.  Apply a rubber coating to the pedals.  It could be millimeters thick.  This would improve grip and  shock absorption.  crickets chirping^_^

Archived