New Nineboter, One S2 weird noise

Mougna

Howdy everybody,

I just bought a brand new One S2, which looks terrific. The only thing that prevents me from starting is a weird noise (imho) that the wheel does.

It's only when the motor is started, and at low speed. If I perform the same movement with the motor stopped, there are absolutely no noises (so no things stucked inside).

I have contacted Ninebot who told me that it is completely normal for an S2.

Nevertheless, I would be happy to hear your thoughts. Even if it's normal, what is causing that awful noise ? 

It's amazing how much the S2 looks like an IPS Zero, but with slightly less impressive specs (320Wh rather than 340; 15mph max rather than 21 mph; 25 lbs rather than 20).  Pedals on the S2 are lighter and more wheel is exposed, which I think is good.  

The noise in the video sounds like motor noise when accelerating from zero speed; and maybe there is some play in its attachment to the rest of the wheel.  I don't hear anything like this on either my V8 or the IPS Zero, and suspect it may be an idiosyncrasy of the S2.  You'll probably get use to it.  

I have to congratulate IPS on the Zero ... it is dead quiet when still or moving.  It's designed for parks and smooth surfaces, particularly indoors.  The Zero's quietness is pretty unique and adds to an air of refinement.

4 hours ago, Mougna said:

Howdy everybody,

I just bought a brand new One S2, which looks terrific. The only thing that prevents me from starting is a weird noise (imho) that the wheel does.

It's only when the motor is started, and at low speed. If I perform the same movement with the motor stopped, there are absolutely no noises (so no things stucked inside).

I have contacted Ninebot who told me that it is completely normal for an S2.

Nevertheless, I would be happy to hear your thoughts. Even if it's normal, what is causing that awful noise ? 

It is a bit weird indeed - haven't heard the same noises on my friend's S2 (also very recently purchased). I suggest you go out and try it though. The sound might go away.

Some of the ninebots got some sort of sound at low/near zero speed (magnets engage). Not sure if it should be that loud/pronounced but yeah. Did you try to upgrade FW? Could be resolved with newer firmware version.

Hi guys,

After a few tries, I almost don't notice it. It was less louder than on the video, I think shooting that video inside give the impression of a louder sound.

Anyway, it's working good, even if at low speed it "cranks" a little. :)

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to EUC. I got my ninebot a week ago and am able to drive around now. Still not 100% stable but it works.. :) I have to make my getting on the EUC more elegant and smooth.

I was wondering if someone had an explaination to this sound / noise, may it cause damage? My ninebot is doing the exact same noise, in only one direction, the other one works fine. It sounds to me as if something gets in contact with the shell? I don't really know.. would be nice if someone had more info. As the ninebot is new it is under warranty and if this is a serious issue I would like to send it in in time without risking it break and stops working.

Greets

Got the same sound on my (relatively new) S2 from Amazon (ger) - it's by way not as loud as in the video and when you drive you dont notice it at all.
Actually i'm pretty happy with the ninebots engine noise, my airwheel Q5 is much louder when driving. (still a cool sound though, hehe)

Cheers

I do have the same wheel and it makes the same noise from standstill.

Works flawlessly so far, so I deem it normal. Definitely no scraping of something inside the shell, because if it would be the case, then the noise would repeat regularly when rolling, frequency of repetitions increasing or decreasing depending on speed. 

Archived