Who Uses a Safety Strap?

TechShizzle

Who uses a safety strap?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who uses a safety strap tethered to their EUC when they ride?

• Always-I wouldn't ride without it.
    • Most of the time.
    • Occasionally.
    • Only when learning to ride, but not any more.
    • Never have used one.
    • Other/only under certain conditions-see comments.

I started using a leash after I had my first runaways and stopped using it about 3000km in the game. After I was once stumbling over the leash and falling I decided to only loop it under my belt such that it could easily slip away but I still had some chance to grab it before it was gone or the wheel would get out of balance from the leash anyway. That worked out flawlessly. 

Not sure that "Only when learning to ride, but not any more" fits this bill well enough.

I can pretty much guarantee you that anyone who is good at this, or has been doing it for any decent length of time is not holding on to the safety training strap :)

A leash is different - that is for stopping the wheel running away from you in the event of a crash, and it's tied to you, rather than being something you are holding onto. I'm not doing that either, for the reasons above - you don't want any additional stuff for your legs to get caught in on the way down.

If you do crash (and you will at some point) let it run away - it probably won't hit anyone if you're lucky ;) 

However, it does have a use past your first day of training. Don't throw it away because it is invaluable when you let other people 'have a go' and you don't want to see your machine crash down on its side 30 times in a row :) !  Wrap it round the handle, and you hold it as they ride, so you can catch it before it hits when they fail.

I like the term "leash."  I actually bought a real leash because it hooks easily to the EUC, and it's fairly long, so I can stuff the other end in my pocket when I ride.  I don't use it all the time, but would if there were substantial probability of the EUC running off a cliff, or into Lake Michigan, or whatnot ...

8 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

I like the term "leash."  I actually bought a real leash because it hooks easily to the EUC, and it's fairly long, so I can stuff the other end in my pocket when I ride.  I don't use it all the time, but would if there were substantial probability of the EUC running off a cliff, or into Lake Michigan, or whatnot ...

Lake Michigan yes, but please do not tie yourself to a momentum-preserving deadweight while you are cliff-riding :) I'm quite small, so it would be comically certain that if my MS3 went off a cliff, and I was tied to it, it would drag me down after it. Perhaps that's not the case if you weigh more than my 9 stone though... I'm just saying, it's not gonna be helping you at your moment of fall...

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

Lake Michigan yes, but please do not tie yourself to a momentum-preserving deadweight while you are cliff-riding :) I'm quite small, so it would be comically certain that if my MS3 went off a cliff, and I was tied to it, it would drag me down after it. Perhaps that's not the case if you weigh more than my 9 stone though... I'm just saying, it's not gonna be helping you at your moment of fall...

Right ... this is not good :o.  I have a leash that actually attaches to a wrist or leg (we have a Golden Retriever, so I'm not just buying leashes for the fun of it), but I had, indeed, previously considered the risk of following my EUC into the void ...

16 hours ago, Mono said:

...to only loop it under my belt such that it could easily slip away but I still had some chance to grab it before it was gone or the wheel would get out of balance from the leash anyway. That worked out flawlessly. 

I do the same thing. I use a thin clothes line with 2 carabiners at each end, one to the handle of Ninebot and the other to the belt. 

I use a strap with several knots in it that I loop through the front of my belt.  It can pull away if necessary, but should help stop the EUC.

As mentioned in other posts, I start my commute down a steep hill that dumps onto a busy road.  If the wheel was to get away from me near the end of the hill, and roll out into the road, it could cause a major accident.

In general, I try to be conscious of the damage/injury I can cause to others while riding.  A wheel escaping into busy, high-speed, traffic, could be very, very bad.

I always use one (its a spare dog lead). Its just habit and its no bother held loosely in one hand while riding. Its only use is to prevent the wheel falling over if i have to step off or stoping it bouncing away from me if i have a crash. I was riding a canal tow path a while ago and came off (my own fault), if i hadn't had it the wheel would have gone into the water. 

Archived