Msuper V3 Mudguard - yours from $1.99

Tilmann

19 minutes ago, danw872 said:

My 3d printer will be arriving tomorrow, now just need to learn how to use 3d modelling software. Does anyone have any recommended software to try?

The best 'proper' modelling programs are 3DS Max, Maya, Cinema 4D & Modo, but they are all very expensive, and only worth it if you use 3D for other things than printing. Blender is also top level, and free, but is not very intuitive and has a very steep learning curve. All of these apps can take years to learn, so probably best to look at the easier 'non-pro' options, which are at least learnable and usable quickly.

Google Sketchup is a very good one of those, and there is a free version. Also, your printer should come with some sort of basic modeller, though sketchup is likely to be better than it...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, danw872 said:

My 3d printer will be arriving tomorrow, now just need to learn how to use 3d modelling software. Does anyone have any recommended software to try?

Agree with @Cerbera, Sketchup is a good place to start and may even be all you ever need. In case you run into it's limitations, you may need a more powerful tool. And here it really depends on what you would like to do with it.

Examples:

• Engineering of mechanical moving parts / machines: choose a "parametric CAD" software like 123D Design (Autodesk, non-commercial use is free) or FreeCAD (Open Source; quite long learning curve; partially counter intuitive).
  • Sculpting of human/animal/phantasy characters: 123D Sculpt or Blender (Open Source; for mere 3D printing it's overloaded with video-animation functionality).

I just spent 3 entertaining hours trying to position an ornament (readily downloaded from thingiverse.com) to my mudguard with FreeCAD and still don't have it exactly, where I want it ... :smartass:

• 2 months later...

First of all @Tilmann thank you for sharing this designs.

I did received my printed version but probably i was a bit to hard on squeezing in the mudguard... it cracked exactly above the Klingon clips.

Will still use it as it is but if i need to replace do you recommend another material that can be slightly more flexible? I used ABS.

590c603720440_WhatsAppImage2017-05-04at22_20.48(1).thumb.jpeg.c315eb5681e890f7716eb4c8f3099498.jpeg

590c603812de4_WhatsAppImage2017-05-04at22_20.48(2).thumb.jpeg.563d8387bdc708b87b642d1fc8f1b55e.jpeg590c6039268db_WhatsAppImage2017-05-04at22_20_48.thumb.jpeg.bf3b3af926087be0d92ca7d0c57947c5.jpeg

Thanks

1 minute ago, Noillek said:

First of all @Tilmann thank you for sharing this designs.

I did received my printed version but probably i was a bit to hard on squeezing in the mudguard... it cracked exactly above the Klingon clips.

Will still use it as it is but if i need to replace do you recommend another material that can be slightly more flexible? I used ABS.

590c603720440_WhatsAppImage2017-05-04at22_20.48(1).thumb.jpeg.c315eb5681e890f7716eb4c8f3099498.jpeg

590c603812de4_WhatsAppImage2017-05-04at22_20.48(2).thumb.jpeg.563d8387bdc708b87b642d1fc8f1b55e.jpeg590c6039268db_WhatsAppImage2017-05-04at22_20_48.thumb.jpeg.bf3b3af926087be0d92ca7d0c57947c5.jpeg

Thanks

I'm sorry for your mishap! Please talk to your Print Service: this is a typical sign of "insufficient layer adhesion". Most likely caused by a too low print temperature. When temperature is too low, any new layer of plastic cannot thoroughly bond to the previous layer. The result may be cosmetically pleasing, but mechanical stability is not there. Please ask your Printer to produce a replacement with print temperature set more towards the upper limit of what the filament manufacturer recommends and positively turn OFF any part cooling fan during the print (valid for all prints with ABS). If the printer (the machine) is not enclosed, some cold air draft during the print may lead to the same effect and must be avoided (ABS is pretty sensitive to that). Definetely, any correct printed mudguard must not break from just mounting it (regardless of whether that's from ABS, PLA, PETG, Nylon, or similar).

2 hours ago, Tilmann said:

@Noillek: if you need a temporary fix to your broken ABS part, just use a bit of acetone ("nail polish remover") to glue the crack. Use parsimoniously as it dissolves the ABS pretty quick...

Thanks Tilmann, the service provider decided to give me a discount on a new print using PLA instead of ABS will cost me 20Eur. I want to see if really makes a difference and i asked him to print it again, will keep you posted.

My printer had a cold draft when printing my first ABS one and it cracked also before he even delivered it to me.  He went ahead and printed a new one at his own discretion and closed off the room to outside air to keep the temperature stable.  He gave me both prints in case I wanted to do anything with the cracked one.  The second version has been on and off dozens of times for cleaning and no cracks, nor do I expect any.  It's bonded very well.

38 minutes ago, Noillek said:

Thanks Tilmann, the service provider decided to give me a discount on a new print using PLA instead of ABS will cost me 20Eur. I want to see if really makes a difference and i asked him to print it again, will keep you posted.

As long as you are happy, that's fine.  But, they really should have printed it again for free as they made a temperature mistake in the first print.

27 minutes ago, yourtoys7 said:

Found someone in Toronto for 20. and shipping 15., 25USD., not too bad,

Mine was $20 USD and it was local pickup, so not bad at all. 

On 5/5/2017 at 5:08 PM, SuperSport said:

As long as you are happy, that's fine.  But, they really should have printed it again for free as they made a temperature mistake in the first print.

Hi again, got my new print and it might indeed have been a temperature mistake, but since I also change the material I guess I will never know... the PLA version worked better than the ABS version now sits really wheel in the wheel.

IMG_7486.JPG

Archived