Msuper V3 Mudguard - yours from $1.99

Tilmann

I love my Msuper V3. But: when things get wet and dirty, it has this nasty habit to throw everything up my back the road has to offer. Uhhh, I don't like mud slinging (even though it seems to become increasingly popular in politics).

So, here is my solution: a 3D printed mudguard!

on_printbed.thumb.jpg.033e72e6273c62676b692e001cc88a6b.jpg

top_view.thumb.jpg.b3249a512ce54cd9aad483e9eec530a2.jpg

side_view.thumb.jpg.7ad986c996fedfc6f1b9da26dd447627.jpg

Pick it from the print bed, peel off the brim, smack it on your Msuper and you're set to go!

If you have access to a 3D printer (pretty much any one will do), download the model file from here http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2083438, use up some 70 grams of ordinary PLA filament (< $2) and enjoy riding through Siberia in the fall. If not, google "3D Print Service" and find somebody, who prints it for you for less than $20.

I put the file into public domain, so anybody can use it privat or commercially. I positively invite GotWay (happy New Year, @Linnea Lin Gotway & @Jane Mo! Does CNY come with New Year's resolutions, too?) and the nice distributors in this forum to use it. Give it your own branding if you like. And folks, please don't complain, if a distributor asks 50 bucks per piece - they have all those warranty obligations, can't exclude liability (like I do :ph34r:) and still need to make a living... 

Here's my test ride today on Tempelhof airfield: 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

@Tilmann WOW....that is a fine solution! Will try to find a print service  as soon as possible :-)

Thanks! Please try https://www.3dhubs.com/3dprint - if you upload the file, it gives you price quotes from many services (material: cheapest PLA should do).

Again: be warned, I can't promise it fits the V3S-versions of the Msuper. I have no idea, if GotWay may have changed the shell dimensions for those (as compared to my first production run 820Wh model).

2 minutes ago, Tilmann said:

Thanks! Please try https://www.3dhubs.com/3dprint - if you upload the file, it gives you price quotes from many services (material: cheapest PLA should do).

Again: be warned, I can't promise it fits the V3S-versions of the Msuper. I have no idea, if GotWay may have changed the shell dimensions for those (as compared to my first production run 820Wh model).

As far as i know the shell is the exact same...only the side plates are different!

i upgraded to 1160wh by using this wider covers:

mYm752g.jpg

29 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Nice curves :)

It's actually pretty simple: it is just a cut out segment from a torus (that's fancy speak for 'donut shape').

Mudguard_Construction.thumb.png.24b5bb489322e2ae6e1d8de1af026b0b.png

For the 18" wheel, I made a 20" donut, about 4" wide, then cut away everything, that's not needed and added the clamps.

5 hours ago, Tilmann said:

It's actually pretty simple: it is just a cut out segment from a torus (that's fancy speak for 'donut shape').

For the 18" wheel, I made a 20" donut, about 4" wide, then cut away everything, that's not needed and added the clamps.

Hi, love your 3D model just like Supersport!  @Tilmann I was wondering if you could make a small change and make the bottom with a point like the bottom of a heart?!  I'm thinking it might be a nice edge and go with the lines of the Msuper.  Thanks!!

I just ordered one from a local printer.  It's printing now.  Should have it tomorrow.  Thank you again @Tilmann!!!  This printer is very excited to be doing this job.  Is very interested in our wheels.  Maybe I'll find other work for him after this.

1 hour ago, SuperSport said:

I just ordered one from a local printer.  It's printing now.  Should have it tomorrow.  Thank you again @Tilmann!!!  This printer is very excited to be doing this job.  Is very interested in our wheels.  Maybe I'll find other work for him after this.

How much did it cost? I tried a couple of services and the cheapest was $70, which was more then I wanted to spend.

Edit - I followed the link @Tilmann and found some cheap solutions. The price difference between the different printers is huge. Should I avoid the cheapest? Never having done this before I would have no basis other then cost & shipping in choosing who to print it.

I found a young guy in my town through that site. It was $20 in ABS black. I'll meet him tomorrow to pick it up. 

He mentioned that PLA might not be good for our area due to heat. That's why I'm using ABS. 

I found a young guy in my town through that site. It was $20 in ABS black. I'll meet him tomorrow to pick it up. 

He mentioned that PLA might not be good for our area due to heat. That's why I'm using ABS. 

Great. Let us know how it turns out.  Hey @Tilmann, can you please buy a Monster so that you can create one for that too :)

Whooohooo - what an exiting response! Feels like sculpting the planet. Thank you :cheers:

5 hours ago, Soju said:

Hi, love your 3D model just like Supersport!  @Tilmann I was wondering if you could make a small change and make the bottom with a point like the bottom of a heart?!  I'm thinking it might be a nice edge and go with the lines of the Msuper.  Thanks!!

Hmmm, are you sure about this? I dread to see that pointy end sticking in somebodies flesh. There would be also a technical drawback: when printing, the flat lower edge makes a nice base on the print bed. That way it turns out pretty clean. With any sort of curve on that side, you need to print with "supports" as printing cannot start in mid air (with affordable 3D printers). But technically it can be done. Let's make a deal: think about it for a couple of days and if you still want it, I'll give it a shot next weekend, ok? :smartass:

4 hours ago, SuperSport said:

Thanks Steven, that's great advice! That young fellow may have a point here: while PLA does not melt below 150°C, it may soften in desert temperatures just enough to lower that elastic force pressing the lower clamps outward to fix it on the wheels shell. In Germany, I'll likely never know, in California: better safe than sorry - use ABS. For Do-it-yourselfers: printing ABS requires a heated print bed!

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Great. Let us know how it turns out.  Hey @Tilmann, can you please buy a Monster so that you can create one for that too :)

Sure thing! Just convince GotWay to send a working sample of the Monster to their fender bender development studio in Berlin and you will get your Monster mudguard in no time :w00t2: 

@Tilmann Thanks so much for your response.  I completely understand your concern about it being dangerous.  I suppose I'm not that worried as the rotation of the wheel is spinning forward.  If it flips, it never flips backwards.  Maybe sideways and mostly forward.  If on the front it would be a major concern.  I am definitely interested. Here example in a photo of the idea.  This is usually done on custom choppers.  Thanks so much! 

Todd

IMG_0297.PNG

8 hours ago, Tilmann said:

Thanks Steven, that's great advice! That young fellow may have a point here: while PLA does not melt below 150°C, it may soften in desert temperatures just enough to lower that elastic force pressing the lower clamps outward to fix it on the wheels shell. In Germany, I'll likely never know, in California: better safe than sorry - use ABS. For Do-it-yourselfers: printing ABS requires a heated print bed!

Exactly!  He mentioned the spring strength might weaken in our summer temps. Where I live, we often get over 100 Fahrenheit in the summer.  Add to that riding on hot pavement, and we easily top 120 degrees or more at the wheel. 

It only cost about $5 more, so I don't mine the extra expense for peace of mind. 

I'm really excited to pick it up today. I can't thank you enough for the work you put into it. 

This is the best mudguard I have seen yet for the Msuper3 Thankyou for your hard work @Tilmann. Simple and effective. My advice would be to shop around for a good supplier. I had quotes ranging up to $70 AUD. It ended up being cheaper to order from a different state than ordering locally.

On 2/5/2017 at 2:14 PM, Tilmann said:

I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger and getting one of these printed. Knowing nothing about the design process, seems like it possibly could be easy to add a little fun. How hard would it be to take an existing 3d file of a gargoyle (which I assume there must be plenty of freely available ones) and add it to this shape? 

I picked mine up today. My printer said he could add designs very easily. 

Thank you again @Tilmann, it printed flawlessly in Black ABS  IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

Thanks for the pic's.  Now I just need to figure out how to modify the file.

32 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks for the pic's.  Now I just need to figure out how to modify the file.

After he finished printing mine, he told me that he figured out a way to add the logo to the design before printing. He said it would be really easy to do next time. You might ask your printer if they also have that ability.

Archived