Poll (anonymous): how long did your worst injury prevent you from EUCing and what's your protection gear

Mono

How long did your worst injury prevent you from EUCing and what's your protection gear.  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Considering the injuries you suffered from EUCing, what was the longest time an injury prevented you to get back to regular EUCing? Tick the first answer which applies to the worst injury you had (answers are mutually exclusive).

• no injury prevented me from EUCing ever
    • no more than one day recovery time
    • between 1 and 3 days
    • between 4 and 7 days
    • between 8 and 14 days
    • between 15 and 30 days
    • more than 30 days, but I finally got back EUCing
    • more than 30 days and I doubt I will ever get back EUCing
    • I am not (yet) able to ride regularly since my last injury less than 2 weeks ago
    • I am not (yet) able to ride regularly since my last injury more than 2 weeks ago
    • none of the above (consider to explain below)
  2. 2. Which protection gear did you wear during your worst accident or stumble (tick all answers that apply)?

• no protection at all
    • a helmet
    • gloves
    • wrist guards
    • elbow protectors
    • knee protectors
    • shin protection
    • ankle protection (could be on the shoes)
    • shoulder protectors
    • a back protector
    • an airbag
  3. 3. If I mount an EUC, I wear at least 50% of the time (tick all answers that apply)

• no protection at all
    • a helmet
    • gloves
    • wrist guards
    • elbow protectors
    • knee protectors
    • shin protection
    • ankle protection (could be on the shoes)
    • shoulder protectors
    • a back protector
    • an airbag

Breaking a fall from an EUC with my wrists (esp. the left wrist) is an experience that has happened to me more than once. Sadly, I'm not superman. The wrist injury recovery is slow and the trauma to the hand and skin can be unpleasant to feel and see.

I wore just work gloves for a long time. After buying wrist guards (my roller blading pair went into the trash years ago) I felt there was no room left for gloves to protect the skin on my fingers.

Since the winter temps (< 30 degrees F) are a bit chilly without gloves I cut down a pair of inexpensive (< $5) work gloves which now fit above the top side of the wrist protector. The fit is loose but the thumb keeps the glove on.

Thin leather gloves worn underneath the wrist guard might work too.

Screenshot_2017-02-04-20-40-13.png

IMG_20170204_204104.jpg

3 hours ago, steve454 said:

I do not have the computer skills to do such a poll myself,

It's easier than you might think. Two pages of entries need to be completed. The first is the standard forum entry and the second is the 'poll' page selected in the top right drop down page which contains the questions and responses. Toggle between 'content' and 'poll' until it says what you want and then submit the topic.

2017-02-04_23.25.15.jpg

2017-02-04_23.20.23.jpg

7 hours ago, Slaughthammer said:

drooling in a wheelchair.

What's wrong with drooling in a wheel chair.  Sounds kinda freeing to me ?

7 hours ago, Cerbera said:

so please guys, feel free to use whatever evidence you have to convince me that I really do need that helmet during normal town pavement riding !

Being struck from behind by an unseen speeding cyclist/ motorist.... Unexpected Dismount on a curve where a wall stops your face before the ground does.... Meteor strike, yes? , no?

6 hours ago, Mono said:

Hands and arms are really not necessary for EUCing, so their injury is not well covered by the survey.

I agree they aren't strictly necessary to actually wheel, but my only injury that kept me from wheeling was to my wrist.  I didn't want to risk falling on it again, so I stayed home for a couple of days.  It still hurts a bit 10 weeks on.

more about helmets.  I recently (yesterday) started wearing mine again.  Like you @Cerbera I've never bounced my noggin off anything on any of my many "insufficient flapping" low altitude flights.  But @Marty Backe made me. So I did.  Very next ride, I completely didn't see a speed bump.  Ordinarily, This is where I tell how I bumped my head, but fortunately I managed to stay on with just a " what the ffff!!" And more arm flapping.  BUT it could have been different. "Expect the unexpected" wheele'et emptor "let the wheeler be 'ware"

9 hours ago, Mono said:

It turns out that the very same is true if you are a pedestrian or if you drive a car. 

If you drive a car, you've literally got a ton of safety gear around you. A modern car ha so many safety features, and you're strapped into it. It will cushion you with airbags. As long as you don't hit something really solid (like another car, a tree, etc) at high speed, you're pretty safe in a car. Speed doesn't kill, becoming stationary very suddenly gets you killed, and in that case a helmet does not really help. Even when you're a pedestrian, you're much less likely to faceplant, as you can compensate for things like potholes, curbes etc. without even seeing them, as you're always in the process of falling forwards while catching yourself with your feet.

When you're EUCing, there is nothing that keeps you from faceplanting, except your arms/hands touching the ground first.If you hit a pothole you're unaware of at 20+kph, you will hit the ground. My crusing speed is usually 22-26kph, so I wear a helmet. It just takes one second of unawarenes to faceplant. Humans make errors. Some people here appear rather overconfident.

8 hours ago, steve454 said:

How?  I got achilles tendonitis once from running on pavement too much (I had just gotten in to jogging and was doing it everyday with poor quality shoes)  It would hurt when first getting out of bed in the morning until I got warmed up, and took about 18 months to heal.

Was playing badminton... really wanted to get that one, so when I wnet for it, I heard a loud snapping sound (reminded me of a basketball slammed on the gym floor) and felt someone kicked my calf. Somehow I managed not to fall and come to a stand on my other leg, turned around, but there was noone who could possibly have kicked my calf, and also no basketball was in sight anywhere. Then it came to me what just had happened.

As for the achilles tendonitis, after this experience I am quite sensitive for trouble in that area of my body, so I cancel all sports at the first symtoms, takes usually 2-4 weeks until the pain is completely gone, then I wait another week or two for safety, and restart with sports... Yeah, pretty annoying. But what's to expect, after immobilizing a foot for 19 weeks? The tendons degenerate in that time, and it takes quite some more time for them to build up again. The muscels regenerate way faster, and thus the tendons are the weak spot.

5 hours ago, Smoother said:

Being struck from behind by an unseen speeding cyclist/ motorist.... Unexpected Dismount on a curve where a wall stops your face before the ground does.... Meteor strike, yes? , no?

Not on an M-super my friend;) Cyclists can't catch me !! And I am never on roads amongst traffic, so it's never gonna be a car that I haven't seen first. Meteor strike ?

Well yes, but that's gonna affect you whether you're on an EUC or not, and if one does land in your close proximity I would propose that the helmet is something of a fart in a hurricane in that instance :)

@Slaughthammer, what if you find out that in case of an accident wearing a helmet as a car driver or as a pedestrian is about as effective as it is for a commuter cyclist or an EUCist? Would you start wearing a helmet as pedestrian? Would you stop wearing a helmet as EUCist? Why not?

3 hours ago, Cerbera said:

And I am never on roads amongst traffic, so it's never gonna be a car that I haven't seen first.

Excuse the gallows humour, but that's what Lee Rigsby said? God rest his soul.

hey meteors come in all sizes. They're not all dinosaur extinction size you know. ?

@Slaughthammer sorry, but I laughed out loud, twice when I read your badminton story.  Once when I read it and once more when I read it to my partner.  I visualised you looking around with this confused expression on you face, for this magical person who snuck onto your court and kicked you in the calf while you were practically in mid flight, chasing a cock, I mean the shuttle cock.  But seriously, sorry for you pain and subsequent issues relating, thereof.

• 8 months later...

My turn.

400km of "experience".

Inmotion V8, battery 84%, railroad crossing (which I have crossed a lot before since it is at 1 minute from my place). Speed approx 28km/h. Thing couldn't handle the bumps in the crossing, next thing I hear BEEP BEEP BEEP and off I go flying through the air. All falling techniques in the world won't help, it happens in the blink of an eye. Result:

device scratched but still works :P 

Dislocated pinkie on my left hand including a small fracture. They put it back in place, and in a week I have to go see some doctor to check if all is ok or if extra things need to be done.

Hurt my shoulder on the right hand side from the impact. Nothing serious but will be quite stiff the following days I guess. And of course some scrapes and bruises

Oh the irony, not even 5 minutes before I was wondering if it wasn't time to get something more powerful, since now I can really ride it anywhere and even in heavy traffic I hop on and off, take curbs, etc etc as if it is second nature, and I am constantly riding it at vmax -2km/h (below the beep threshold)

Just got back from the hospital. Fight fire with fire, so first thing I did was hop back on the device and take it for a spin. Don't let your mind get the time to become afraid.

Protection worn:

helmet, wrist guards.

Helmet, not a scratch, didn't touch the ground (but I also realised that it's basically useless for this kind of crash. You need protection for the lower part of the face. Luckily didn't touch the pavement), right wristguard has some scrapes, so I guess it worked.

The only thing I wonder is how to protect one's fingers. Besides the EUC Extreme boxing gloves I see no solution that could prevent this. Not even motorcycle gloves. You need to "glue" several fingers together to avoid this imo.

1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

My turn.

400km of "experience".

Inmotion V8, battery 84%, railroad crossing (which I have crossed a lot before since it is at 1 minute from my place). Speed approx 28km/h. Thing couldn't handle the bumps in the crossing, next thing I hear BEEP BEEP BEEP and off I go flying through the air. All falling techniques in the world won't help, it happens in the blink of an eye. Result:

device scratched but still works :P 

Dislocated pinkie on my left hand including a small fracture. They put it back in place, and in a week I have to go see some doctor to check if all is ok or if extra things need to be done.

Hurt my shoulder on the right hand side from the impact. Nothing serious but will be quite stiff the following days I guess. And of course some scrapes and bruises

Oh the irony, not even 5 minutes before I was wondering if it wasn't time to get something more powerful, since now I can really ride it anywhere and even in heavy traffic I hop on and off, take curbs, etc etc as if it is second nature, and I am constantly riding it at vmax -2km/h (below the beep threshold)

Just got back from the hospital. Fight fire with fire, so first thing I did was hop back on the device and take it for a spin. Don't let your mind get the time to become afraid.

Protection worn:

helmet, wrist guards.

Helmet, not a scratch, didn't touch the ground (but I also realised that it's basically useless for this kind of crash. You need protection for the lower part of the face. Luckily didn't touch the pavement), right wristguard has some scrapes, so I guess it worked.

The only thing I wonder is how to protect one's fingers. Besides the EUC Extreme boxing gloves I see no solution that could prevent this. Not even motorcycle gloves. You need to "glue" several fingers together to avoid this imo.

Ouch! Glad you are, for the most part, OK. Well done for getting right back on the wheel. There is nothing to fear but fear itself...and railroad crossings (maybe).

You have the G-Form body armor don't you? I don't see it mentioned above but wanted to ask if you had any of it on for the fall. I've yet to get an accident report from someone wearing it (I don't want to be the first) and am intrigued as to how it performs.

1 hour ago, WARPed1701D said:

You have the G-Form body armor don't you? I don't see it mentioned above but wanted to ask if you had any of it on for the fall. I've yet to get an accident report from someone wearing it (I don't want to be the first) and am intrigued as to how it performs.

No. Didn't wear it since I was just going to the pharmacy which is literally 300 meters from my door. So just the wrist guards and helmet. If I were to put those on it would take me longer to do all that than to go on foot. But in this case it wouldn't have helped a lot. My shoulder might hurt less, but it's purely the muscle tissue on my upper arm that is compressed. I can still move it freely and it's already better than it was a couple of hours ago. For my hands it wouldn't have made a difference.

23 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

After my first 16-19 mph face plant, I agree without any doubt whatsoever that a full face helmet is highly advisable.

And ensure it is ASTM 1952 (MTB) or 2032 (BMX) certified. This is the only certification that tests the chin bar for protection. Without this cert you rely on the manufacturers claim of protection. MET Parachute and Giro Switchblade are two such certified helmets. I rate the Giro and several others on here have and like the Parachute.

After a couple of days I can tell you the worst part of being injured ....

having to explain to everyone you fell from your euc and hearing the reactions about how dangerous this is, or "you see it's something stupid", or  "what, you are still riding that thing???"

:rolleyes:

• 8 months later...

First. I covalent of that injury. Was self inflicted doing jumps, no falling involved. My cirurgic fixed knee had a bad move and not capable of walk without help. Luckily I have the other leg wealthy to continue the riding (was in a big euc meeting in Madrid) I take no time for recovery because was less painful ride than walk.

That was a week after, and the pain is coming time to time but dismissing every day. I ride 10 to 30km cross country daily. Thanked because everything comes to normal again.

Second. I miss several important protections like glasses, jacket, boots, long pants and reinforced ones. In fact that's the most important protection for me. Good clothes are comfortable, provide the best protection against abrasion, wranches, and don't give you the false feel of invulnerability what you have dressed like a medieval knight

Archived