POLL: injury related survey for EUC forum riders

Bob Eisenman

EUC riding and injury survey  

97 members have voted

1. 1. With regard to riding an EUC

• I've never been injured riding an EUC
    • I've recently been injured riding an EUC and it hurts
    • I've previously been injured riding but it no longer hurts
    • I've previously been injured riding and it still feels less than perfectly healed

A survey about EUC riding related injuries, resulting pain, and persistence of discomfort.

It's my first time setting up a poll. Hopefully leaving 'multiple choice' unchecked in the poll setup will be of no consequence.

Note: voter names are not made public

• Upvote 1

Here is a recurrent question (maybe because I am not a native speaker): does a bruise (blue mark), say, on the shin count as injury? For some reason my wheels like to hit me every other week in the leg, and then it hurts almost as if I would still practice Jujutsu. And what about a swollen lip, does it count as an injury? I guess in most sports any bruise which goes away within a few days is rarely considered as injury, but as a normal part of intense physical activity?

10 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Hopefully leaving 'multiple choice' unchecked in the poll setup will be of no consequence.

It prevents that one can comprehensively answer to have been injured and it doesn't hurt any more and it hasn't perfectly healed either. It happened to me with a hand injury from cycling (and just FTR, there is no cycling protection gear to my knowledge which would have prevented this broken hand, probably not even wrist guards or standard motor cycle gloves would have done the job).

Edited by Mono

4 hours ago, Mono said:

Here is a recurrent question (maybe because I am not a native speaker): does a bruise (blue mark), say, on the shin count as injury? For some reason my wheels like to hit me every other week in the leg, and then it hurts almost as if I would still practice Jujutsu. And what about a swollen lip, does it count as an injury? I guess in most sports any bruise which goes away within a few days is rarely considered as injury, but as a normal part of intense physical activity?

I would consider both the conditions you describe as injuries, so yes, I would include them.

EDIT.  this poll must have jinxed me, because today when I had an "off" in soft sand, Lassie, my wheel, some how jumped up and "bit" me in the calf (bad dog Lassie!, bad dog! ) now I have wheel rash on both calves.

note to self: file down bottom of pedals where scraping has caused very rough spots. ?

Edited by Smoother

As I understand it the poll can't be edited once it is posted.

I didn't want to make the choices list too long to comprehensively cover all situations although another question might have helped.

It's entirely up to you if you do not participate in the poll because of a bad fit in your  injury description. The idea was to get a rough idea of what percent of riders (padding or none, new EUC or original) have found themselves in the situation where OUCH IT HURTS a good description of what happened while riding-falling-running-off the bot.

As of 4:00 pm (2-3-2017) about 25% of responding riders (16 responders @ 6% per  rider contribution) have never claimed to have been hurt. However three quarters of responders have felt a little pain along the way. If the numbers hold up then for every 10 new riders perhaps 6 or 7 will get injured at some time.

If you bruised your shin and question whether it is a (serious) injury I'd just skip polling your response.

The last response in the poll is for injuries which seem to heal but when picking up a pen to write your wrist feel funny, or walking after a banged kneecap feels something about the kneecap is sensitive, or after hyper extending a muscle-tendon the region seems yet unhealed or some other injury location which subtly still reminds you that your bot riding adventures were the cause and sometime in the past a more normal-natural feeling existed.

My apologies for bad karma induced by the poll or its limited choices.

• Upvote 2

Has anyone seen reports of people being killed on an EUC? Those people aren't going to vote you know. :D

I've had a couple of high-speed cutouts where I got some bad scrapes, and one where I hit a pothole and fell on my butt. Fortunately my butt provided enough cushion for that one.

13 hours ago, dmethvin said:

Has anyone seen reports of people being killed on an EUC?

I am confident there is a good chance we would get to know these reports, even if they have not been reported by the people who have been killed.

Edited by Mono

Yes, please don't be shy, if you've been killed on a EUC, please post for the benefit of our group. :)

I've had three serious spills on different EUCs, and many others tumbles, where nothing except my ego was bruised. I pushed a generic clone wheel too fast and, after a cutout in front of a group of teen girls, earned a nice egg above my left eye after a classic faceplant. My second serious crash was when I clipped a speed bump with my left pedal (KingSong 14C) at close to top speed. I sprained my knee bad and was off the wheel (and limping) for nearly a month. My third crash was when my motor failed on my KS-14C, taking a gentle left turn in traffic at a pretty good clip. Was fortunate to not be seriously hurt in that one (just a bump on the elbow), though my wheel was toast. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, who_the said:

My third crash was when my motor failed on my KS-14C, taking a gentle left turn in traffic at a pretty good clip. Was fortunate to not be seriously hurt in that one (just a bump on the elbow), though my wheel was toast. 

WAIT ! WHAT !  BACK THE TRUCK UP!  your 14c motor DIED under you and it was TOAST !!!???

Firstly I'd like to thank you for using the word "toast" today since the toast bike mini was posted here a little while ago, and @John Eucist pointed out the euphemistic use of that word.

now, seriously, what happened to you wheel? What caused it to cut out and toastify? Enquiring 14c riders want to know...need to know.

Edited by Smoother
  • Upvote 3

Thank you. Let me try to clarify completely.

My KS-14C wouldn't power on after my crash. When I disassembled my wheel, I found the wire that enters the motor housing inside the pedal had frayed, apparently shorting out the motor. On a KS-14C there is a spring that cushions the wire as it emerges out of the motor and through the pedal housing. On my wheel, this spring had become dislodged had slid outward, leaving the wire running through the pedal housing unprotected. It appeared that over time, the insulation for the wire had worn through, and when I made a steady, strong left turn under significant power, the short occurred, cutting power to the motor and sending me to the pavement.

My vendor @Jason McNeil was very helpful and accommodating, sending me a replacement motor straightaway. Unfortunately, I sheared off one of the retaining screws when I reassembled the pedals, entirely my fault. Jason sent me a replacement set of screws and, though I haven't yet got the wheel up and running, I should be able to with a strong enough drill to extricate the screw from the pedal so I can put "Humpty Dumpty" back together again.

In the interim, I bought an Inmotion V8 from Jason, which has been absolutely bulletproof through a few hundred miles of daily use.

IMG_20161206_232224485.jpg

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, who_the said:

Thank you. Let me try to clarify completely.

My KS-14C wouldn't power on after my crash. When I disassembled my wheel, I found the wire that enters the motor housing inside the pedal had frayed, apparently shorting out the motor. On a KS-14C there is a spring that cushions the wire as it emerges out of the motor and through the pedal housing. On my wheel, this spring had become dislodged had slid outward, leaving the wire running through the pedal housing unprotected. It appeared that over time, the insulation for the wire had worn through, and when I made a steady, strong left turn under significant power, the short occurred, cutting power to the motor and sending me to the pavement.

My vendor @Jason McNeil was very helpful and accommodating, sending me a replacement motor straightaway. Unfortunately, I sheared off one of the retaining screws when I reassembled the pedals, entirely my fault. Jason sent me a replacement set of screws and, though I haven't yet got the wheel up and running, I should be able to with a strong enough drill to extricate the screw from the pedal so I can put "Humpty Dumpty" back together again.

In the interim, I bought an Inmotion V8 from Jason, which has been absolutely bulletproof through a few hundred miles of daily use.

IMG_20161206_232224485.jpg

Thanks for that follow-up. I also ride a KS14C, so it's good to know what to look out for when I open mine for preventive maintenance.

• Upvote 2

On 2/3/2017 at 3:23 PM, Bob Eisenman said:

hyper extending a muscle-tendon the region seems yet unhealed

That was me, I put my hand out while falling forward and even while the wrist guards might have saved my wrist, two fingers hyper extended and hurt so bad I went to an emergency room for treatment.  Even though they weren't broken, 13 months later they still won't straighten all the way, but don't hurt and very slowly getting back to normal, but am not sure they ever will completely.

11 hours ago, Smoother said:

Thanks for that info.  Sorry for your crash. Glad you didn't go under a bus.

which side of the wheel do theses wires /Spring come out of.p? I ask so that I may dismantle that side only, to inspect.

Thank you! Right side I believe. On the replacement motor, pictured, the black sleeve at base of the wire covers a compressed metal spring. Neither appear to be attached inside the pedal; I am able to slide both down the cable away from the pedal. I wonder if I should consider a bit of glue or epoxy to help hold the sleeve and spring in place. 

ks-14c-new-motor.jpg

45 minutes ago, who_the said:

I wonder if I should consider a bit of glue or epoxy to help hold the sleeve and spring in place. 

Really! I wonder if you secretly want another face plant, at speed, in traffic! Of course, break out the silicone or hot glue or whatever and splooge that puppy up so it can't rattle free! 

It's possible that being under pressure from having to be bent sideways once it comes out of the axle, it shouldn't move, but your living (thank God) proof that it can.

We're expecting high winds here today, so I might take the opportunity to break out some tools and splooge my own spring up a little too. (That sounded a bit dirty didn't it!)

On behalf of 14x owners everywhere, thanks again for the info.

Whenever I open up my wheel I am surprised how many things might go wrong. These wheels are shaking and jumping all the time, providing opportunity for wires to fray or connectors to work loose. Those motor wires take a very sharp turn at the point where they come out of the hub, and the spring around that wire tends to become deformed and not fully protect the wire. Be especially careful if you disassemble your wheel for example to fix the tire. Don't let any wires kink or get pinched!

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

I honestly can't remember the last fun thing I learned and didnt get hurt at least mildly somehow... I expected no differently from the euc. Luckily so far, minor bruises and scrapes, some sore muscles but nothing this old bag o flesh isnt used to. At least the euc is better excuse for a bruise than running into the countertop. I did try to ride thru a wire fence I didnt see once. Wheel kept going and I stopped like in a roadrunner cartoon... Booooiiiiiing....SLAM! I didnt know wtf happened. Earned a nasty bruise and slight twist of the ankle. I dont call it euc related, I call it 'dumb asshole who wasnt looking hard enough', related.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

I've been lucky to not be what I would call injured from anything EUC related.

I did try to pass a jogger on a two track when I had less than 200 miles under belt. Wheel turned 90 degrees under me as soon as I got sand in the middle of the two track. 

Right knee needed a few stitches and this was with knee pads but nothing was broken or sprained. 

Most of my injuries came from motorcycles, mainly fort bikes and requires casting and metal plates. 

Of some protection is worn I still feel that wheels are very safe....safe as the operator anyway....so pretty much just like a motorcycle in that respect. 

I have yet to have a wheel fail on me though at speed. I can see how that would suck big time. 

• Like 1

First crash: less than 100km on my first wheel the Gotway v3, pushed the wheel so far past the beeps not knowing about the limits of the wheel thinking i could just keep accelerating :facepalm: i cut out at around 45-50km/h with ate 10-15 meters of the coarsest asphalt you have seen, luckily this only resulted in a flesh wound on my knee and being unable to exit my apartment for about a month while healing. (still hurts under certain conditions)

Second crash: Me riding the bike path in the city on my Gotway v3 a guy from a side street i was passing just accelerates into me as i was passing in front of him, no gear and a broken wrist. I had to walk around and work in a cast for like 4-6 months... cannot recommend! 

3rd: The day i finally got protective gear after 3 years of never using it and riding just below 80% beeps (yeah Darwin award i know) I was taking my new gear and carbon helmet out for their virgin voyage and got  200-400m away from my front door and as i'm entering this intersection that i pass several times a day (i know the asphalt very well) so i just sped through it at around 35km/h but sadly a new and maybe 10cm deep pothole had been added since the day before which my wheel just happened to get stuck in launching me through the intersection. I happened to land on my new kneepads and elbow protectors and slid 10-15 meters on these and got up unscathed

4th: Going only 25 km/h in the city on the bike path some guys were at a walkabout waiting for their light to turn green and fooling around, while passing them one of them jumps backwards out onto the bike path without even knowing what is coming his way, i was 1 meter away from him when he did this jump so there was no time to do anything but brace myself from impact. Luckily this time i had gear and i was going pretty slow so none of us were badly hurt, i didn't even feel a thing in fact. He was hurt but nothing major. 

5th: Going maybe 20 km/h a car coming from behind me had to turn right and didn't see me and cut me off, i didn't even see him until he impacted me out of nowhere. here my helmet for sure saved my life and my jaw! 

TL;DR Wear helmets + gear at all times even if you're just going outside your home, don't push past 80%, always wear gear, always assume that no motor vehicle ever knows or respects any laws, don't get too comfortable with the areas you ride in often as the asphalt or terrain can change drastically, wear gear, assume pedestrians (and especially dogs) are suicidal, and last but not least whenever you are about to pass any side streets on the righthand side of the road(for anywhere but UK and Australia i think) always look over your left shoulder to make sure no car is about to cut you off, it happens to me almost daily that these stupid drivers don't pay attention.

Oh and WEAR GEAR sure you look cool on 1 wheel, but you will swap it out for a wheel chair in time if you don't use gear.

• Like 1

define an “injury”? 

I cut out on my MCM5 yesterday and my wrist is sore but not broken. Also cut out on a Nikola at 42 mph and similar story, sore but nothing broken. 

I voted “never got injured” simply cause my crashes did not result in me being incapacitated in any way. 

• Like 2

I had to click the depressing option "been injured - not healed perfectly" and I'm no daredevil. I have several drivers licenses for heavy 2/4 wheel vehicles for decades, and never been in any serious accident.

I did injure my shoulder when my V8 cut out at the rather low max speed of meerely 30km/h.

I swapped to a Gotway Tesla and put a 30km/h cap because I know that serious injuries happen already at 30. (No amount of safety gear would have avoided the injury either). Before the accident I had done 10.000km without harm and 5000km without a tumble (which only really happened when playing around).

I ride all year, on ice, in rain, sub zero 20C temps, descend mountains. When the conditions are bad I lower speed, sometimes even to walking speed.

I still ride the V8 that I crashed on but at a greater safety margin capped at 25km/h. I love how light it is. Good for commuting. Unfortunately it's bad for anything "challenging". That's where the tesla comes in. More power = safer.

• Like 2

@xiiijojjo I had a similar incident coming home from work. Road the same route everyday for like 8 months then one day turing onto another street in a neighborhood the pavement was gone. The street was prepped for re paving and about 4 inches was missing. The part I landed on had deep grooves from the machine that dug the pavement out. I saw it and squeezed the wheel and held on. Slowed down enough to avoid getting hurt, knee pads and wrist guards saved my bacon.

Your right about the path not always being the same!

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

probably not the best poll for promoting wheel usage, but good reading for all the newbies, esp the old ones, getting into this activity. 

i joined the forum in 2017, and it seems all my old forum buddies have needed medical attn including myself from a wheel related injury. mine was just rider error. i should have never ridden a tire rated at 150 pounds when the wheel and myself weighed 250 pounds. tires do matter. why they stamp the sidewalks. 9bs2 didn't however.

like marty said years ago, "euc riding is a contact sport".

if u haven't voted yet, please do.