Ninebot Mini.jpg

144 Prismatic 103450 Lithium ion 1800mah cells in 6S24P packaging. 3D printed battery cases.

Constant Voltage/Constant Current Boost converter to convert 6S to 15S voltage. Connects output to Mini charging port when riding.

90/65-6.5 All terrain tires.

Handlebar, drink bottle holder and 6S to 4 x 5V USB converter.

9 hours ago, IOServer said:

144 Prismatic 103450 Lithium ion 1800mah cells in 6S24P packaging. 3D printed battery cases.

So not far short of adding an extra 1000Wh to it. Nice conversion although I'm not at all sure I'd want to do 100km at Ninebot Mini speeds. 

I'm really confused at your choice of batteries though, did you get your hands on a job lot cheap so used what you had? Surely  if you went out and purchased batteries for it, and assuming you have them in 6S configuration so you can charge them with LiPo chargers, why would you not have used 3 sets of 5S in series to give you 15S without the losses and extra complexity of using a boost circuit? Also why so low capacity cells They look to by LiPo's not LiIons so are available in much higher capacities which would need for less parallel sets?

I extracted 450 of these 103450 from new Toshiba laptop batteries bought at auctions more than 10 years ago. I also have similar number of 18650 from the same auctions. It is easier to make compact battery cases of the right shape with the 103450 for the Mini. A booster was used because I don't want to modify any of the internals of the Mini. To parallel with the existing Mini battery will involve drilling holes and maybe attaching 16 balance wires to the Mini battery.  The paralleled batteries will confuse the Ninebot app and will take a long time to charge. 15S high wattage charger are not widely available.

After 10 years the capacity of the 103450 is now about 1.66 AHr.

The bigger diameter tires makes no difference to the 18.5kmh speed limit, but is more stable when running over pavement cracks or rough wooden surfaces.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/02/2017 at 7:10 AM, IOServer said:

The bigger diameter tires makes no difference to the 18.5kmh speed limit

Are you sure?  did you make some GPS speed test?

Because I did it few days ago and results (before and after tyre change) are :

589ee0b1baa99_20170209_210300eng.thumb.jpg.7df195c8b7d7cb1f004f3d52c21e02f7.jpg

I have made the same ride in both condition and according to my test the recorded speeds with GPS are higher with new (bigger) tyres.

For the Ninebot application, the max speed does not evolve (and it makes sense because it is not expected to have a diameter larger than normal), in reality it raise 1,6 kph on the maximum speed and about 2 kph of gain on the average speed. 

• 1 month later...

Archived