Ninebot one s2 vs Segway one s1

Ninebo

• 1 month later...

Makes me wonder. When Segway was introduced a decade ago, everyone complained that's out of range ($6,400) for most people so that's why it failed in the consumer market. Now a mere $599 get you one and no one is buying? What's up with the world? Outside of this forum no one really knows what is a Gotway/ EUC or how Ninebot acquired Segway etc knowledge. For them it's just an affordable Segway. Still no considerable sales? 

5 hours ago, Pezman said:

It is still early in the spring. Perhaps demand is low due to weather. Or perhaps there is a product update coming?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Planetpapi said:

Makes me wonder. When Segway was introduced a decade ago, everyone complained that's out of range ($6,400) for most people so that's why it failed in the consumer market. Now a mere $599 get you one and no one is buying? What's up with the world? Outside of this forum no one really knows what is a Gotway/ EUC or how Ninebot acquired Segway etc knowledge. For them it's just an affordable Segway. Still no considerable sales? 

I think this is an excellent question and observation, and might the reason why wheels will or will not take off.

My personal experience is when I see people on Segways I immedietly think two things, "what a cool device" and "what lazy f****!" Despite owning a Swagtron given as a gift, I rarely use it, and I doubt I would buy a Segway Pro despite its obvious utility and ease of use.

Now a wheel is something I have bought (two of them, actually), and their utility is awesome, but it's also respectable. No one who ever sees a person on a wheel thinks of them as being lazy. Except for a few notable exceptions, everyone on a wheel in the video section looks like they are in really good shape. And even the paunchy older guys have a quickness and agility unusual for their age. You can tell there's some coordinated muscle under their slovenly exterior. :)

That may be the problem; a Segway Pro is too easy but any wheel is too hard. It's a form of transportation that looks ludicrously hard and I think that scares 4 out 5 people off (my estimate). So a Segway won't sell because they just aren't sexy, but a wheel also can't sell because it's too hard for most people.

I stopped by a dive dinner yesterday, and the waitress there mentioned all four other wheelers looked like me; all male, all very coordinated, and all looked like they could run six miles with no trouble. I can get behind belonging to a Chip-n-dale club like that but it's also bad because that means wheels require a certain level of fitness that is simply out of reach for the majority of Americans. You cannot sell wheels to these people regardless of price.

• Upvote 2

You are certainly not wrong. When mine arrives (hopefully next week) I will be the only person to own one in probably a 100 mile radius (maybe even 200 mile radius). Meanwhile, the same could be said of a smart car, any electric car, even scooters are very rare here. 

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, Michael Vu said:

Here's a good video review on the Ninebot One S1.

His production values are slick and he's never been given a product that he didn't enjoy.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
13 minutes ago, Dean108 said:

I just saw in the stats that the Ninebot One S2 is for users 16 to 50. 

Im 50 and have just bought One. 

Just got in.....Phew

Gosh!? I better stock up now while I can. Welcome to the forum :cheers:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/13/2020 at 4:24 PM, xSAMCOx said:

Is the S2 a good first wheel to start with? 

I do not have an S2, but I do have an AirWheel X8. I personally think having a slow & light EUC to start with is the best way to learn. Imagine if you first learned how to ride a motorcycle, instead of starting on a 100lb bike, they give you a 400lb bike? Not only are you trying to learn how to ride, but you are also learning how to handle the bike. Well, a more apt analogy would be learning how to ride a bicycle for the first time on a 10lb bike vs 100lb bike. 

I am speaking from my own personal experience. I initially got an InMotion V10F that weights 46lbs. Learning on it was difficult because it's a heavy wheel and my body had not adjusted to it. Trying to control it & learn to ride was a big challenge. I ended up tweaking my left knee a bit. After 3wks, I still was not able to ride it and was really down. I then re-analyzed how I should go about it and decided to get the AirWheel X8, which is 22lbs and only capable of going 7mph and has low pedal clearance. When I got it, I was able to mount it in 2mins and then started riding it even though my arms were still waving a lot. After 3-4 days of riding, I had enough confidence to try the V10F again and to my great relief, I was able to ride the V10F.

I now teach new riders on the X8 and loan it out. It's a great way to build the community.

I don't regret buying the X8 though I outgrew it after 3-4 days. It got me over the hurdle of learning how to ride the EUC and I can pass it on to new riders.

Good luck!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tan Ho said:

I do not have an S2, but I do have an AirWheel X8. I personally think having a slow & light EUC to start with is the best way to learn. Imagine if you first learned how to ride a motorcycle, instead of starting on a 100lb bike, they give you a 400lb bike? Not only are you trying to learn how to ride, but you are also learning how to handle the bike. Well, a more apt analogy would be learning how to ride a bicycle for the first time on a 10lb bike vs 100lb bike. 

I am speaking from my own personal experience. I initially got an InMotion V10F that weights 46lbs. Learning on it was difficult because it's a heavy wheel and my body had not adjusted to it. Trying to control it & learn to ride was a big challenge. I ended up tweaking my left knee a bit. After 3wks, I still was not able to ride it and was really down. I then re-analyzed how I should go about it and decided to get the AirWheel X8, which is 22lbs and only capable of going 7mph and has low pedal clearance. When I got it, I was able to mount it in 2mins and then started riding it even though my arms were still waving a lot. After 3-4 days of riding, I had enough confidence to try the V10F again and to my great relief, I was able to ride the V10F.

I now teach new riders on the X8 and loan it out. It's a great way to build the community.

I don't regret buying the X8 though I outgrew it after 3-4 days. It got me over the hurdle of learning how to ride the EUC and I can pass it on to new riders.

Good luck!

Did look on multiple wheels the x3 and x8 was/is on sale here but, i orderd a New in box ips i5 from a private seller that did not take a charge.... so i settled on the One S2 after that let down. Wheel seem to be due this week. Will be a intresting weekend 

• 4 weeks later...

On-top-360.gif

I still use the crappy X3 one day out of 2  ... when -21C outside and in lock down.

This is an old picture. It is fitted now with the original Mten3 pedals. A complete change of behaviour.

I use the S2 down South in winter when things are normal. 

vlcsnap-2020-02-11-05h10m43s973.png

The S2 is one of the most pleasant EUC to carry in a backpack due to the form factor.

P-20200207-095542.jpg

• Like 3