Ninebot one s2 vs Segway one s1

Ninebo

I have been looking for a ninebot and right now my choices are the Segway one s1 and the ninebot one s2 I can currently buy the Segway one s1 from amazon but would easily be able to save up to get the ninebot one s2. I need to know which one I should buy and i would like to be able to ride to and from a job even if it is raining. I also need to know where to buy the s2 I couldn't find a good place. I also heard the e+ is being cancelled is that true or a fake?

11 hours ago, Ninebo said:

I have been looking for a ninebot and right now my choices are the Segway one s1 and the ninebot one s2 I can currently buy the Segway one s1 from amazon but would easily be able to save up to get the ninebot one s2. I need to know which one I should buy and i would like to be able to ride to and from a job even if it is raining. I also need to know where to buy the s2 I couldn't find a good place. I also heard the e+ is being cancelled is that true or a fake?

Don't know much about s1... is it rewrapped a1 (chinese version with one battery)?

Would def. choose s2 then. - double battery, higher speed, longer range.

And if you find a good deal on E+ then it's not bad either. Bigger wheel and cheaper parts.

I think they are the exact same device, but they are for different markets (US vs EU?)

As for the device itself, my friend bought the one from Amazon (S1) recently and it seems to be a nice device. This being said, I definitely prefer the V8 for the extra speed, range, stability, size, handle, light and circus colors :) But it's more expensive as well.

It seems like they phased out the Ninebot-branded S2 in favor of a cheaper, Segway-branded S1, at least for the US market.

The main difference seems to be the speed, as the S2 is faster. They don't list nominal power for the S1, but judging by it's lower max speed, almost sure it sports a weaker motor than the 500W nominal S2 (maybe 400W nominal like the Asian versions, A1/A1+?)

With rain, all versions (S1/S2/A1/A1+) are basically the same, somewhere around IP67 rating, ie. able to withstand water sprays and water immersion that is no higher than 1 meter (~39") (the batteries sit slightly above the pedals, so I wouldn't go through puddles higher than pedal height)

For reference, the control board, like all EUCs, is water-resistant coated, and the batteries are plastic housing encased

Segway One S1

12.5 MPH Max

??W nominal

2 155WH Li-On batteries

25 lbs

Ninebot One S2

14.9 MPH Max

500W nominal

2 155WH Li-On batteries

25lbs

Edited by houseofjob
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

They don't seem to list nominal power stat of the S1 motor anywhere, but judging by the differences in max speeds, I'm guessing the Segway One S1 is a weaker motor, maybe 400W nominal like the Asia version A1/A1+?

Ninebot One S2

14.9 MPH Max

500W nominal

2 155WH Li-On batteries

25lbs

Segway One S1

12.5 MPH Max

??W nominal

2 155WH Li-On batteries

25 lbs

Interesting...

I'll check later if there are any specs on the actual device or in the manual that came in the box.

Following up with pictures from the "Segway One S1", which actually appears to have the official name as "Ninebot One S1".

Based on this, I think the max speed is artificially limited for the S1 vs the S2? The S1 and S2 have the same specifications, apart from the max speed, right?

(I covered the SN, not sure what someone can do with it TBH)

2 (1).jpg

1 (1).jpg

Edited by Laenas
  • Upvote 1

Interesting. 

If actually 500W nominal like the sticker says, this should be no different from the S2. 

If I remember correctly, on the S2 new out of the box, you just need to go through their app tutorial, and either you can immediately up the app max speed, or you need to travel a small minimum distance to increase the max.

But if this is the same for the S1, doesn't make any sense to advertise the restricted max speed, as that would deter many buyers.

The 12.5 mph is the actual max speed on the S1. It's the max speed you can select in the app, and I also tested it practically, it starts with a soft tilt-back around 10-11 mph, which gradually intensifies as you push harder, and then it starts beeping.

This is very weird...

26 minutes ago, Mono said:

Is the given weight specification accurate? I would think it applies to the 155x1 version and this one should be somewhat heavier.

Indeed! It's 1,1 kg heavier than the specification.

IMG_3380.JPG

• Upvote 1

The A1 is supposed to have 400W, which seems a relevant difference. So maybe it is an S1+1=S2 and the number tells us the number of batteries? 

Edited by Mono

13 minutes ago, Mono said:

The A1 is supposed to have 400W, which seems a relevant difference.

Yep. But it seems to be no information about s1 anywhere on ninbot/segway pages... and the only other model that is described is a1.

30 minutes ago, Vik's said:

Yep. But it seems to be no information about s1 anywhere on ninbot/segway pages... and the only other model that is described is a1.

Right, but if the number stands for the number of batteries in the wheel there is no information left to add anyways.

Edited by Mono

All things considered, the S1 is a nice wheel. For a beginner and for $600, it's pretty much unbeatable.

If you are not bent on buying from Segway/Ninebot and you are willing to pay just a little more, I'd say go for the Inmotion V5F+ (for 14 inch) or even a step higher to the V8 (16 inch). Inmotion has been described a couple of times as the "Ninebot killer", and it's living up to this name IMO.

18 hours ago, Mono said:

Right, but if the number stands for the number of batteries in the wheel there is no information left to add anyways.

But S1 got two batteries...

Maximum rider weight is another thing that seems to differ between s1 and s2 - 100kg vs 120kg. And I can't quite understand that one if both the motor and batteries are tha same... That's why I question the 500watt marking on the label of s1.

Spec.JPG

4 hours ago, Vik's said:

23 hours ago, Mono said:

But S1 got two batteries...

ah, sorry, my point was that this was maybe produced as an S1 with one battery and the second battery was installed afterwards, so to speak an S1+1. If all S1 turn out to have 2 batteries my point is moot. 

Edited by Mono

@Mono

Seems that Segway already answered that on Amazon:

"The Segway One S1 has two lithium-ion batteries, one on either side with a combined capacity of 310 Wh, to ensure the high performance riders demand. You can fully charge it in just 4 hours or top it off at any time. Depending on riding style and terrain, you can get up to 15 miles of range on a full charge.
By Segway Inc. SELLER on November 2, 2016"

• Upvote 1

Meaning S1 and S2 are physically identical, does it? The max speed, if actually different, is after all probably just a software setting.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1

@Mono It does... So now I am even more confused about price difference.. and max rider weight... So they have surely cut some corners someplace even though they are not a lawn-mowing business (one and only business that gets good reviews for cutting corners)...

Hmm, or maybe it's the exact same device, but designed for the USA market? And in doing so, they artificially limited the S1 capabilitie to avoid back-lash and customer complaints. Max rider weight is one example (it can carry more, but they won't take the chance to put it on the label) and max speed (it can safely go a bit faster, but they won't take the chance).

If this is not the case, then the only other thing I can consider is the motor being lower than the advertised 500. But that would be a HUGE fuck-up on their part, and a potential backlash as soon as someone opens it up to check.

EDIT: The $600 price of the S1 is presented as a big discount. This part shouldn't be confusing (when comparing the 2 devices) , it's basic marketing - demand wasn't high and they need the sales.

Edited by Laenas
  • Upvote 1